Author Topic: Mackenzie of the Black Isle  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mackenzie of the Black Isle
« on: Sunday 15 March 09 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the July 1798 returns List of males for the ages of 15 to 60 ?   

I'm wanting to know if my Donald Mackenzie b1776 his brother Kenneth b 1783 and their father Alex are included.  They were all living in Urray parish in 1791 when one of their sisters was born.  I don't know the occupation of father Alex as it wasn't noted on any baptism record.   Donald is next seen in Lanarkshire in the 1841 census working as a blacksmith.

I haven't been able to find any history of clearances for that part of Ross so don't know if the whole family were allowed to stay or whether they moved to a new parish or new county.

Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke