Author Topic: Cameron/Levy/Marks - birth Query  (Read 30614 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cameron/Levy/Marks - birth Query
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 March 09 02:18 GMT (UK) »

My grandfather (I knew him as Jack Ernest Cameron) was born in 1905 in Wellington, New Zealand.
He had a twin sister Iris Daphne (b:1905),
sister Phyliis Raoni b:1907)

brother Stewart Couldrey (b: 1909)

Loz   ... do you have any Australian records for the brother Stewart ?

Just need to check that the spelling of his second name "COULDREY" (which could provide a link to CAMERON)  ... is correct ?

Is Stewart's name recorded on any OZ indexes ?

Lu

Offline lozzab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 March 09 02:47 GMT (UK) »
I;m not sure ofHenry's trade.  I know he was born in London about 1837 to Lipman Levy and Hannah Jones (Jonas).  I believe that Leah Marks and her family lived nearby.  It appears that Henry and Leah have emigrated to New Zealand (don't know if together or not) and they got married 25th March, 1868 in Hokitika New Zealand (I found their marriage Papers Past). Just last week I discovered Adela's siblings from the NZ bmd (gosh - I'm glad they finally went on line!!)
Henry and Leah had 5 children in all;-
Adela Amellia (b:1876)
Herbert Frederick (b:1879)
May Lilian (b:1880)
Marcus Alfred (b:1881) and
Ethel Evelyn (b:1885)

Stewart's name is on his parents death certificates and is also spelt that way on the NZ birth index. My mother tells me that he was a bit odd and disappeared and no-one knew where he was or what happened to him.  I've been unable to find Stewart's death.

I really appreciate your help!
Rogers, Mason, Hawkes, Baldwin, Taboudeux, Lee, Steeden, Wilson, Armstrong, Battley, Johnstone, Dailey, Birmingham, Lancaster,Field, Rainford, Hill, Adams, Cassidy.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Edit :   from reply # 6

Hi Loz

I came across this map, which better demonstrates the Rangitikei area and shows its relationship to Wellington.

http://www.rangitikei.govt.nz/default.asp?menu=da

Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I've viewed a few Electoral rolls (and directories) essentially looking for Ernest Hugh CAMERON (and possibly Adela) in the Wellington area prior to them leaving for AUS.

Hmm ... I found two Ernest's in Wellington, but unfortunately, later rolls give these chaps, second christian names ... so can rule them out.

I also checked on LEVY ... there were TWO "Henry's" in Wellington from 1881, both were storekeepers.   (One though seemed to have a link with Benjamin LEVY (probably Henry was his son - there is a newspaper article about their fancy goods shop, being robbed).   The other which I think is "your Henry", is shown as a storekeeper in Cuba Street, Wellington.   (Henry LEVY d. 1918 is listed on Cemetery record at Karori as " a Grocer").

Leah LEVY doesn't appear on the 1893 roll of First Women Voters and the first time I find her with Henry, is in 1911 when they are at 25 Walter Street in Wellington.  (Henry is described as a "commission agent".)

I'll do some more checking for CAMERON though.
                            -----------------------------

Question:    Loz, do you know what Ernest's occupation was ?   

Lu

Offline lozzab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 05:19 GMT (UK) »
HI Lu,
I am pretty sure that the Henry that died in 1918 is mine. I'll have to get his death certificate.

Ernest Cameron was listed as a Real Estate Agent on my grandfather's (Jack Ernest) marriage certificate in Sydney in 1929 but again I don't know anything about his life in NZ.  He's proving to be an elusive bugger!!It's frustrating - I have a photo of him (prob. aged in his 50-60's).  I can see what he looks like but can't find anything about him!

Thanks again for your help, :D

Loz
Rogers, Mason, Hawkes, Baldwin, Taboudeux, Lee, Steeden, Wilson, Armstrong, Battley, Johnstone, Dailey, Birmingham, Lancaster,Field, Rainford, Hill, Adams, Cassidy.

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 08:07 GMT (UK) »
There are a lot of Camerons in the Rangitikei area. They all originated from about five families that came out to Wellington in 1840 or thereabouts. Can't see an Ernest apart from one, but he is still in NZ in a WW1 uniform. There are a number of Hughs though.

Same Camerons that Fiona belongs to in the other post. Some of the different lines were related to each other, as well as some of the other families that came on the Blenheim in 1840, which most of them did. They were all from the Fort William area in Scotland.

Porewa is not really a town or village, but just an area nowadays. There was something there back when the place was first settled. There is still a school there though I think, and a church and graveyard.

So can't be sure if Ernest Hugh/Howard is one of the Rangitikei ones or not. Some of them did stay in Wellington, around Kaiwharawhara.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Loz  ... and   Ian

Hmmm ... all the checks I've done to date, keep drawing me back to the Rangitikei area  ... and one, (possibly two),  "Hugh CAMERON's".    ???   

Have just been able to eliminate "a Hugh" from Turakina - son of a Mr. A. CAMERON ... and the Ernest CAMERON's found in Wellington, have now all been ruled out.

That's interesting information Ian, about these CAMERON's who originated from the Fort William area (SCO).
I wonder if there might be a "COULDREY" surname in that area ?  (I'm only guessing that "Couldrey" is a Scottish surname - and as Ernest and Adela gave their younger son this name, it seems probable it links back to the CAMERON family - rather than Adela's, Jewish family ?)

Loz  ... I think another thing you could try, is a post on the AUS board, for the birth of Ernest Hugh CAMERON, somewhere in Australia.    It's always possible he came to NZ as a child with his family  ... or the other, that he came here, by himself, as a young man ? 
[You said the Adela died some years before Ernest.    Perhaps it is, that the informant to Ernest's death, simply made the assumption that he too, was NZ-born ?]

Lu

Offline lozzab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 March 09 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lu and Ian,
Yes - I have been dubious that Ernest was born in NZ.  His death certificate says he was born in Wellington BUT his son Jack didn't even know his parents weren't married until a while after his death. (My aunt recently told me that she remembers her father being very angry when he found out his parents had never been married - but she doesn't remember how he found out - she was only about 13 yrs old at the time.) Ernest died in his sleep in 1958 - he was living wiht his son, Jack's family and my mother was still living there at the time.  I've asked my mother if she remembers him having an accent (thinking the Scottish accent hangs around for a while!) but she doesn't remember him having an accent at all.

I have tried a Victoria and Nsw search for his birth.  The closest is a Ernest Howes Cameron (father William, mother Fanny) in 1870 in Sydney, NSW.  I can't find a marriage or death for that Ernest Howes in NSW.  Looks like Fanny died in 1876 - aged 36yrs.  ???? so maybe William re-married as he had two young children.

I have also searched the name "Couldrey" as a first name and a surname both in Nsw and Vic BMD but nothing comes up at all.

Is there any way to check passenger lists coming into NZ from Australia or England/Scotland?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your time,
Loz

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 March 09 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Loz

That's all helpful information, thanks.

I still think it's worthwhile casting a wider net for Ernest's birth in Australia  ... trying the other States, as well.
(I'm a bit undecided about the Ernest Howes CAMERON b. NSW 1870  ... but you never know  ... anybody's a possibility at this stage.  :D)

COULDREY  ... there were a few people in NZ with this surname (that's only though looking at those who married here ... the earliest being a "Sarah" in 1886).
Perhaps you could try and find out where this surname comes from ?   I still think it's Scottish ... might be helpful to find out in which area it is most prevalent.    (Post some queries on other boards ?)

I'm still doing some "digging" for you in NZ - mainly to see if the LEVY's offer any clues.

Passenger lists  ... look in the Reources section of this board.
(There's nothing much for trans-Tasman voyages - except out of VIC to NZ ports).

Lu