Author Topic: SWEETING in Narrandera, NSW, Aust  (Read 4881 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sweeting's in Narrandera, NSW, Aust
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 March 09 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes,
I think so too Les.
It looks like Henry senior was having his children with another EMMA [Minnie]  for whom I am not able to see a marriage to Henry senior .
Sue

Yes, a bit puzzling. Emma M could be Maria M (Clayton) from the 1878 marriage? I've tried to find both a NSW birth for Emma/Maria Clayton but without luck for either.

I thought with the 1871 "double" marriage, maybe Mary Josephine SWEETING could have been a witness (sister?) and her name placed in the bride's section by mistake? Anyway, I checked for SWEETING arrivals in NSW but only found a couple. Henry SWEETING in 1869 aboard the Boomerang a possiblilty, but not confirmed. Can't find a Mary Josphine SWEETING including NSW BDM's.

Should we be looking outside the "circle" in other states?

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline caitlin.95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 March 09 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Wow, your all making me think a lot. I think I agree with the previous post that there was a mistake in the marriage certificate. I saw a few mistakes when I searched other names. I have recently called my grandmother(who got me on to it in the first place) and we have swaped information. We have decided:

1st wife: Margaret Carns
               2 children but have only found proof of one (Henry Richard)
               1st child still born, 2nd dies soon after birth and Margaret is said to have died of the depression of having 2 children die so close together. :(

2nd wife: Emma Minnie (last name not yet know possibly Clayton)
                9 children
                1 still birth
               Emma Minnie Sweeting (jnr) is my grandma's grandma

Thanks so much for your help. i now have a lot more info to do the rest of my family tree with my gran. If you find anything else interesting please tell me. I am just so fascinated with it all and i'm having a great time. ;D ;D

Another interesting fact I found out is that Henry Sweeting (snr)'s dad was a convict from England. Both of Henry's parents were born in Scotland.

All of this in an afternoon!  ;D
Caitlin

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 March 09 09:50 GMT (UK) »
I am just so fascinated with it all and i'm having a great time. ;D ;D

Welcome to the "addiction" of Family Research, Caitlin!

You seem to be on the right track with the two marriages in your last posting. Have you been able to work out the two 1871 marriages for Margaret CARNS and Mary SWEETING with the same references?

As I indicated earlier, if you haven't done so already, you should obtain that certificate for confirmation. The same probably goes for getting a number of other certificates to prove things one way or the other.

I'm not too sure how much researching you have done, but with Certificates - Birth and Marriage Cert's are usually more reliable due to the informant being a named person on that certificate, whereas with Death Cert's, the informant could be anybody, and the information supplied could be just guess or heresay i.e.not factual.

Lastly, with certificates, you don't necessarily have to buy original copies from the Registry. You can buy typed transcripts from authorised transcription agents for about half the cost of an original. There are three agents for NSW BDM transcriptions.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 March 09 06:56 GMT (UK) »
An interesting story in the Brisbane Courier Mon 2 April 1914 'Counter charges of Arson and Assault" where Henry SWEETING of Narrandera had his house set on fire - says he was a sawmiller.  I suppose this is the son Henry who was married in 1908.  Worth a read!!

Found by searching 'Sweeting ' and 'Narrandera'
http://ndpbeta.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

Cheers,  Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline caitlin.95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 March 09 09:33 GMT (UK) »
The first was Margaret in 1871

1479/1871  SWEETING,  HENRY CRAGGS to CARNS  MARGARET ANNE MARY @ ALBURY

She died in Albury in 1873 I think.

This one is a puzzle.....
1479/1871  SWEETING  HENRY, CRAGGS  SWEETING to MARY JOSEPHINE@  ALBURY

4949/1878  SWEETING,  HENRY GREGG married  CLAYTON,  MARIA M @  WAGGA WAGGA

First marriage to Margaret Carns.

Second marriage to Maria who is actually Emma Minnie (nee Clayton). Mary Josephine Sweeting is Henry's sister.  :o

Caitlin

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 March 09 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi caitlin 95.

First marriage to Margaret Carns.

Second marriage to Maria who is actually Emma Minnie (nee Clayton). Mary Josephine Sweeting is Henry's sister. 

Caitlin

Now, are you meaning to say here that you now have information to say that MARIA and EMMA are the same person and that Mary Josephine is a sister?

If you already knew all this, it would have been easier if you had let us know in the beginning.

If you have information just come to light it would be helpful to tell the RC team what your source is.

As you will read in your thread so far, Les de B has been trying to work out the place of MARY JOSEPHINE.

For things to move on positively so that you learn more about your people, the best thing you can do now is  to set out what you know and HOW you know it.

Did you look at the little info treasure that judb found? What did you think!

All keen to help so get back when you can ;D
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 March 09 12:34 GMT (UK) »

Did you look at the little info treasure that judb found? What did you think!

Sue

Yes, I thought it was a great piece of searching by judb, especially when I looked there too. I got too many results for Sweeting but should have added Narrandera as well to narrow them down. That deserves an "oops" on my part.  :-[

Les

Offline caitlin.95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SWEETING in Narrandera, NSW, Aust
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 06:53 GMT (UK) »
Well I have found out from ancestory.com from about 7 sources that Mary Josephine is Henry's sister. I only found it out yesterday afternoon. I guess I have sort of assumed that Maria and Emma are the same people because I found out from a  single comment on ancestery.com that Emma was sometimes called Maria (very different nickname). As I said I only found this out yesterday arvo.

MAry Josephine was born in Mebourne and she died in Wagga.
I did look at the newspaper article and my Grandma is so pleased. I found it quite interesting too! Thankyou judb!
 Regards Caitlin ;D

Offline Sweeting60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SWEETING in Narrandera, NSW, Aust
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 May 22 06:01 BST (UK) »
Dear Caitlin.95,

Only just lucked upon RootsChat.Com today and it is well past the 2009 set of messages, but I am aware of the family groups your are referring to, they are my Australian family history and Narrandera (and most of the Central West of NSW) is their expansion northward from early Melbourne.
I have not discovered the way that RootsChat.Com works but if you are still on this site from time to time I will check back to look for a contact.

Kind Regards

Ian Sweeting