Author Topic: 1841 census Windsor  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Paulann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 census Windsor
« on: Wednesday 16 February 05 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Please can someone help? I actually have a printout of the page I am interested in but it is not clear. Hoping it is just my copy!
The address is Clewer Lane, Clewer, New Windsor.
I am interested in the Dovey family. The second column is quite clear, Stephen, Charles, Thomas, Elinor. it is the bottom of the previous column I cannot read. This [hopefully] includes dad, Stephen, who unfortunately dies before 1851 census, so I'm hoping someone can read age and whether he was born in the parish.
Thank you.
Pauline

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census Windsor
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pauline,
I checked the image for you yesterday at the Berkshire Record Office, there is no index but I found it.
BRO film 7. HO107/26/1 and 107/26/2.

HO107/26/1, folio 16 p25 and 26
Clewer Lane
Stephen Dovey, 44, Occupation - Smith (I think, and so did the archivist), Whether born in same County - N,
Martha Dovey, 41,  Whether born in same County N,
Benjamin , 14,            "       N,
Stephen , 8,             "         N,
Charles,    6,            "          N,
Thomas,    3,            "          N,
Ellen,         5months  "         Y

The last column of the census form says - Whether born Scotland Ireland or Foreign Parts,  next to Stephen there is a X, and a line is then drawn underneath for the others vertically, unfortunately page 25 has lost some of this far right image column so its not very clear, the enumerator has drawn this line and the first in the household has a X for several other families.
Hope all that helps,
Crown Copyright acknowledged

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paulann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census Windsor
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Newbie,

Thank you, that is so nice of you to go to so much trouble. Yes, that is just the information I wanted.

Much appreciated,
Pauline