Author Topic: Buried but when did he die?  (Read 1787 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Buried but when did he die?
« on: Sunday 15 March 09 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've got a problem! My cousin has some burial certificates for his family MILLS. They are for a family grave in Woodgrange Park Cemetery.

They state that the grave holds the following people:
Henry Frederick Mills buried 5th March 1919
Elizabeth Mills buried 8th Feb 1940     ( cousin's g grandmother)
Henry Frederick Mills buried 30th March 1963 (cousin's grandfather)
Beatrice Mills buried buried 25th August 1981 ( cousin's great aunt)
( Grave now full)

It is the first Henry Frederick Mills who is the enigma as I can't find his death.  I also can't connect him with this family!

Elizabeth Mills was married to a Henry Frederick Mills but he died on 2nd Jan 1931 in Croydon and my cousin has the original certificate for this. He is also buried in Woodgrange Park, but in a different grave ( my cousin has a certificate asking for a grave to be dug 12 ft deep)  I am fairly sure this Henry Frederick Mill's father was Edmund John Mills (born 1822 Barbados and died St George in the East Mddx 1885) as I have the marriage certificate for Henry and Elizabeth where his name is given.

So who was Henry Frederick who died in 1919? The only death I can find registered is in the April quarter of 1919 in Wandsworth ( wrong side of the river and after his burial)

Any help appreciated.

Jan

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Enumerated

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Buried but when did he die?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 October 10 15:58 BST (UK) »
Sorry to see you didn't get any replies to this, and perhaps it has been resolved now?

Still, I found it interesting and will give you my thoughts for what they are worth :)

I looked on freebmd and, as you say, there is no obvious candidate for Henry Frederick Mills buried 5th March 1919.  I considered that the surname on the Death Cert. might have been misread and indexed as Miles, but no luck there either.  I also tried looking for Frederick H Mills/Miles - no joy.

You mention a death registered in June quarter 1919 in Wandsworth.  This is for a Henry Mills (no middle initial) aged 72.  Could he have been registered on the wrong side of the river and after his burial?  Yes, if he died suddenly while away from home - deaths are registered where they occurred, not where the deceased lived.  If there was an inquest, this could have delayed the issue of the death certificate - deaths are indexed when the Death Cert. is issued, not when the death occurred.

However, this Henry has no middle initial, and you don't know if he would have been 72, so it is all a bit tenuous.

I think you need to see the grave in Woodgrange Park Cemetery (or obtain a photo of it) because there could be more info on the gravestone.  Most graves give the age of the deceased, sometimes date of birth instead.  Relationships are often stated on the gravestone also.  The gravestone will also state the actual date of death (rather than burial date).

Sorry if you have already solved this - I started looking into it before I realised how old your post is!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Buried but when did he die?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 October 10 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for your reply. To be quite honest I'd forgotten all about this as it was my cousin's tree I was doing. Now that you've reminded me I'll look into it again.  ;D

Since doing this tree I now have access to the 1911, so I'll search that for the Henry Frederick Mills who died in 1919 and see if that establishes any thing. He's got to be related and probably quite important in the family as he was first in the grave.

Thanks again

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk