Author Topic: great granny needs dating and identifying in a group picture please?  (Read 2757 times)

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
Re: great granny needs dating and identifying in a group picture please?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 March 09 11:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm with both second choices. The second from left in second row from back.
Also with sparrett on age, about 7.
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 March 09 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I'm with 2nd left 3rd row

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Leanne-Claire

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 March 09 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies. looking at them closely i do think the third row,second left is a strong contender. generally when i am trying to identify her in pics i look at her chin (all the children had chins that protuded slightly, if that makes sense) but it's not as obvious in this one. if you think it would help i do have other pictures of elsie when she was older (from around 20) if that may help to identify her further.

the age of seven sounds perfect. i think it is the date on the board in front of the front row. in which case it's september 1906. Elsie was born 14th August 1899 so would have just turned seven when the group photo was taken (if that is indeed the date)

thank you all for your replies.
Leanne.:D

Offline Leanne-Claire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 March 09 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to Sparret too, i never knew Elsie myself but i have pictures of her and her husband. I know her husband was VERY tall, atleast 6ft 4 and in the pictures of them together she comes to just below his shoulders so i would say that makes her quite tall for a lady.

the age sounds right, it threw me there finding two possible pictures of her as a child. most of them are of her and her husband as an elderly couple and i have just a one or two of her in her 20's and thirties. so thank you very much.

Any restores or colours of the pictures would also be really appreciated if anyone fancied a go. :D
Thanks again,
Leanne. :D

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I work with children of this age too and i think she is 7, possibly 8. I think she is the one second back row, second from left as well. Look at the hairline from where it parts to the right hand side of the picture.

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Leanne-Claire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alison, you're definately right with the hairline etc. i'm pretty much convinced that is her now, all the things point to that being her. :D

also i think now i can probably precisely date the top photo because of elsie's siblings. i know one was born in 1905 and another 1907 so if i get the birth certificates i can probably narrow down even further when it weas taken because she is not visibly pregnant (to my eyes) so i may be able to date it further. :D

thank you to everyone for all your help on this one. :)
Leanne.