Author Topic: BLO(O)MFIELDs - Stoneham  (Read 139727 times)

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BLO(O)MFIELDs - Stoneham
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 20 March 10 14:15 GMT (UK) »
As a matter of interest I am sure you would have seen  this, but for those that have not;-  http://historyandmystery.homestead.com/BlomfieldData.html
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Yi Win

• RootsChat Senior
  • de Blunvil - Blomvyle - Blomfield - Bloomfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 22 March 10 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes it's very interesting - I am in touch with Grace and we've been swopping info!

;D - cheers!

Yi
de Blunvil, Blomville. Blomvyle, Blomfield, Bloomfield, Gotterson, Tuck, de Burgh,

Offline Lady Grace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching my Blomfield,Blomevyle Pedigree 1086-
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 29 March 10 04:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there Yi Win, did you get in touch with me re my website? I  must have forgotten, but please do again, one never knows what we will turn up...with the help of some very good genealogists we have taken our particular branch of Blomfield s back to 1488 all very exciting and  of course still heaps to do, please do get in touch Yi Win, I would be very interested  to see if your Blomfield line connects to  our tree.....good luck all in your search, it gets very addictive!:>)
Blondeville,  Blonville, Blomvyle, Blomfield, etc., Bacon, Mickfield, Bury St Edmunds, Debenham, little Stonham, Winston, Newton Flotman, Stoneham Parva, Normandy France

Offline Yi Win

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 29 March 10 15:38 BST (UK) »
HI,

yes we have been in touch - have sent yo ua link.

Would love to know where you are at 1488

Have gone back to William C but via the main de Blunvil marrying the de Burgh family which is linked into my branch by several marriages but as my line is also Blomfield/Blomvyle the male line on my branch must link back to the main Newton Flotham one - would be so interested to see your tree to see if you have any missing info that may help me! 

I am stuck about 1450 with a gap of a generation to a possible (grt?) grandparents of c1365 and then theres several options of which sub branch we sprung from but possibly Robert de Blunvil/Blomvyle and Elizabeth de Brayston could be good - right time right area and have a son and grandson for them and then a 'gap' so no links yet!

All good fun

Yi
de Blunvil, Blomville. Blomvyle, Blomfield, Bloomfield, Gotterson, Tuck, de Burgh,

Offline Lady Grace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 01 April 10 23:31 BST (UK) »
Well Yi Win, doesn't our Blonville /Blomfield tree look great now, thanks for your imput, we have jumped back 5 generation now to 1335, great stuff!! my French partner has just informed me that the spelling of Blomvyle in French is BLOMVILLE, so that sounds right as our in  that our forbears came from Blomville de Sur on the Normandy Coast-France  1020, it is said before William the Conqueror of 1066, its getting very exciting!  :)
Blondeville,  Blonville, Blomvyle, Blomfield, etc., Bacon, Mickfield, Bury St Edmunds, Debenham, little Stonham, Winston, Newton Flotman, Stoneham Parva, Normandy France

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 02 April 10 01:08 BST (UK) »
We might have called him William the Conqueror but of course the French knew him as Guillaume le Bâtard (William the bastard) as he was the illegitimate son of Robert le Magnifique.

How exciting to make these discoveries, William was born along the coast of Normandy at Falaise (though mostly remembered now for WWII).

I am sure my tenuous Blumfield connection will stray no further than Suffolk/Norfolk (other Suffolk twigs and branches have led to Norfolk in the 1400s).

Well done yew tew t'gether  :D
Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Lady Grace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 02 April 10 01:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pat, its getting very exciting, also I am informed  by the Frenchman, that  Blomville de sur in fact  is Blonville sur Mer, thats interesting about William, lol a lot of that around in those days it appears:>)

Offline Yi Win

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 09 April 10 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This is the info I have on Richard de Blunvil - the earliest de Blunvil I have.
Of course I can not guarantee all of it is correct!

born c1015-1114 d c1050-1187
location of birth Blonvil in Calvados, Normandy
held land in Coln & Serdeleshey
subtenant to Hubert de Monte Caniso/Canisi (Hubert de Rie)

NOTE:- he is NOT recorded on the abbey rolls as coming over with William The C. - however Robert Count de Montaigne (1/2 brother to William C) DID come over as a close advisor to William and a decendent of his married Ralph de Blunvil - this Richard's grandson.

Richard de BLUNVILL was born in Blonville in Calvados, Normandy, France. He died after 1086. Had a grant of land in Sterleshey in Colne Engaine, Essex.

He had the following children:
William de BLUNVILL
Richard de BLUNVILL died before 1198.
Walter de BLUNVILL died after 1149.

Richard de Blonville who was the subtenant to Hubert de Monte Caniso, near Blonville, Normandy in 1086. from whom were descended the following, Robert de Blondeville (or Blmeville) living in 1190 in Newton Flotman, Norwich, England, Sir William de Blomvyle, the Constable of Corfe Caste and thomas de Blumville, the Bishop of Norwich in 1226, formerly constable of the Tower of London (1224) and nephew of Hugh de Burgh.

Note: It was normal for a land owner (hubert) to have the same subtenants (Richard) in Normandie as in England.

De Blunvil name:-
This interesting name is of Norman French origin, introduced into England after the Conquest of 1066; it is a good example of the subsequent Anglicizing of foreign placenames to resemble native placename elements. Looking wholly English but being wholly French, the name is locational and derives from the village of Blonville-sur-Mer in Calvados, Normandy. The first element is an Old Norse personal name, the second is the Old French "ville", meaning settlement. The various modern spellings include Blomefield, Blomfield and Blumfield. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of William de Blunwill, which was dated 1207, the Hundred Rolls of Suffolk, during the reign of King John, known as "Lackland", 1199 - 1216

de blunvill
The surname of BLOOMFIELD was a locational name 'of de Blundeville' a place near Normandy, France. The name was brought to England in the wake of the Norman Conquest of 1066, and is familiar to Norfolk and Suffolk. It is known as the Domesday Book. Early records of the name mention William de Blundeville, 1273 County Norfolk

L C SEIR
THE ORIGIN.
In point of age, the family ranks as one of the oldest in East Anglia, and, for the, facts concerning its origin, the Writer is indebted to an excellent account by Sir Reginald Blomfield. R.A., published privately in 1910 by The Chiswick Press, entitled " A Suffolk Family. Being an account of the family of Blomfield in Suffolk.”

It   appears   the   family   migrated   from    the   little village of Blomville, on the Normandy coast.
Like a great many early English surnames, this was derived from its original place of settlement. For instance, entries on local (Colchester) Manorial Court Rolls contain records as follows : John atte Fen, Matthew atte Wood, which in time became John Fenn and Matthew Wood. In a similar way, we find the first record of this family is Robert de Blomeville living in 1190. He was, therefore, Robert of Blomvile, in Normandy.

Tanner Manuscripts contain six pedigrees of the family, all bear­ing the same Arms, which were: Quarterly, per fess, indented Agrent and Azure, a Bend, Gules.
Crest:   A lozenge,   gules,   between two wings erect,  sometimes without the lozenge.

It is interesting to note that these Arms and Crest are derived from the Barony of Rye, Normandy, and that such Barony owned the Manor of Newton Flotman, from which a fair presumption may be formed of the connection and origin of the original settlers in Norfolk with Blomville.

Offline Yi Win

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 09 April 10 11:54 BST (UK) »
Point of interest for those wanting to go back further.

Robert de Montagne appears to be decended from Baldwin II count of Flanders and Baldwins wife was the daughter of Alfred The Great.

No I havent looked into this in any detail to find out if it is true or not!

Robert de Montagne's family became de Burgh and de Burgh married into de Blunvil producing our ancestors.