Author Topic: medal cards help  (Read 3195 times)

Offline spof

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: medal cards help
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 22:09 GMT (UK) »
He appears to have joined the Regt in France some time after they landed....

Possibly he was doing something else that detained him in Blighty...

Scots Guard 9964 Sergeant Drummer J D Everett got a Long Service and Good Conduct (LSGC) medal in 1911 so possibly a very pre-war number?

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Long_Service_and_Good_Conduct_(LSGC)_Medal_Register_%E2%80%93_Scots_Guards_1902-1912

Possibly, he was delayed going to France because he had to teach the officers how to do their job. (Sorry Scrim)  ;D ;D ;D
Bezant (London/Suffolk), West (London/Essex), Walker (Yorkshire), Phillips (West Country - believed Bristol area), Tibbetts (Warwickshire), Armstrong (Co Fermanagh), Harvison (Co Wexford), Neeb (Germany), Becker (Germany), Jakobsson (Finland). Kanneworff (Germany and Denmark)

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 March 09 00:36 GMT (UK) »
He appears to have joined the Regt in France some time after they landed....

Possibly he was doing something else that detained him in Blighty...

Scots Guard 9964 Sergeant Drummer J D Everett got a Long Service and Good Conduct (LSGC) medal in 1911 so possibly a very pre-war number?

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Long_Service_and_Good_Conduct_(LSGC)_Medal_Register_%E2%80%93_Scots_Guards_1902-1912

Possibly, he was delayed going to France because he had to teach the officers how to do their job. (Sorry Scrim)  ;D ;D ;D

I spent x7yrs in the ranks actually :P :P :P ::)....Funnily enough with the news this past week, in 2 Royal Anglian!!

As an aside, I see in this weeks Private Eye that the reason so many Muslims were so anti them is that many newsreaders, newspapers and even a MOD website call them the Royal ANGLICAN Regt...Obviously the strong arm of the church militant... ::) ::) Onward Christian Soldiers....

Amazingly, when the old Queen Mum who at the time was Colonel in Chief of the Regt named the BR loco (Class 86 for the spotters!) in honour of the Regt, I well remember her saying "Royal Anglican"....There was an audible sputter in the ranks at the station, al la the Monty Python "I have a very gweat fwend in Wome called Biggus Dickus" bit from Life of Brian ;D ;D ;D ;D

Must be her fault then....
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline spof

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 March 09 22:37 GMT (UK) »

I spent x7yrs in the ranks actually :P :P :P ::)....Funnily enough with the news this past week, in 2 Royal Anglian!!

Now you're talking! Lots of connections to some of the ancestors of the Aglians i.e. the Essex and Suffolks.

Anyway, time to get back to Dermot's question.
Bezant (London/Suffolk), West (London/Essex), Walker (Yorkshire), Phillips (West Country - believed Bristol area), Tibbetts (Warwickshire), Armstrong (Co Fermanagh), Harvison (Co Wexford), Neeb (Germany), Becker (Germany), Jakobsson (Finland). Kanneworff (Germany and Denmark)

Offline spof

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 March 09 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Dermot

Apologies for diverting the thread  from your question. :-[

As Scrimnet has said, the Guards Museum is the place to go for his service record. Once you have that, go to the NA webiste at

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/power-search.asp?searchType=powersearch

and clear all the check boxes apart from WW1 War Diaries, type in scots guards in the Keywords box and you can download them at £3.50 a pop. (Hence the need get his record to find out if/when he was captured to avoid buyig documents you may not need)

In the meantime, a free book of the memoirs of a Scots Guards officer in WW1 is available at http://www.archive.org/details/henrydundasscots00ediniala

Cheers

Glen

Offline wdermot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 March 09 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chaps,
no apologies needed, i''m just very happy for any help and assistance I can get, i'm eagerly awaiting the record from the guards museum. we've got a letter he sent to his sister from the prisoner of war camp at Merseberg, and that's dated May 1915 so unfortunately for him zee var vas over by the time that memoir starts, very interesting reading none the less, good idea about the war diaries though...
I once found a memoir of a poor chap who had spent the best part of the war at Merseberg, cracking read, I know this is off topic as well, but am i right in thinking that there aren't any records for WW1 POWs unless they were interviewed when they returned (which he wasn't) or were officers (he wasn't).

cheers
Dermot
walsh , boyle, inglis, finlay, geddes, lawson, mcgeechan, mcgee, gilliland .  69th foot, Scots Guards, Inniskilling Fusiliers , Mesenberg POW.  Co meath, glasgow, donegal; fermoy Co. cork,

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 March 09 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget that the Germans recorded an awful lot of WW1 POW interviews and they are still on archive....

Just an off chance.... ;)
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.