Author Topic: NEWS family  (Read 3789 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: NEWS family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 12:58 BST (UK) »
And now for some more News...

Expired link?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 13:13 BST (UK) »
And now for some more News...

Hiya Scotmum,

The News at Ten team  http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/tv/variety/newsatten.htm is not what we are seeking nor is http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/newsquiz.shtml of much use to us but if you can find something about the News family of Co. Armagh I am sure Gail will be delighted to hear from you and others posting informative information about her ancestors.

Gail, I have a bit of interesting news.. http://www.townpages.com/county-armagh/craigavon/places-of-worship.htm This site gives the addresses of some churches and libraries in the area where the News family lived in Co. Armagh. Do you know which branch of the Christian faith your ancestors followed. This might give us a good lead...no newshounds required...lead does not refer to dogs here :D

All the Best, Chris

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 16:14 BST (UK) »

but if you can find something about the News family of Co. Armagh I am sure Gail will be delighted to hear from you and others posting informative information

::) The link I posted was to some information on people of the  'News' surname in Armagh, Christopher, so I believed it may be of interest to the original poster and hence why I went to the trouble of doing same (perhaps you didn't scroll down far enough on the link to see mention of occurences of the surname in old records).  The lighthearted nature of the wording for the link was only meant to reflect the overall tone of the posts before mine and the two or three advert links at the start of the site seem to be a standard feature of Lurgan Ancestry.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline Mylett

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 April 06 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris and Scotmum,

I have an 1853 marriage between Patrick NEWS of Silverwood, Roman Catholic, m. Mary Jane DYNES of Derryettagh, Roman Catholic at Seagoe Roman Catholic, Craigavon, Seagoe, Co Down.

Chris, looking at the Places of Worship  site, would that church likely be Seagoe Parish Church?

Scotmum, I think our paths have crossed before on a DYNES topic - we were helping Keith Sherwood - so nice to hear from you again.

Just to know what connection I have with the NEWS name. It is through Patrick and Mary Jane's daughter who came to Australia and (as a widow) remarried here. I have found that her first husband's name was Charles HENRY - they had two children born in Aust. and Charles died in Sydney - but can't find where they were married and I suspect it was in Ireland.

Oh, and she gave her father's name as NEUS! So you can appreciate how pleased I was to find anthing on the NEWS surname.

Thanking you both for your interest - please keep up the good work! ;D

Gail

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 April 06 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Gail.

Here is a link to known Roman Catholic records for Seagoe Parish.

I understand Seagoe Parish Church to be Church of Ireland and that the RC chapels in the area were at Lyle, Derrymacash and Bluestone.

Hope this is of some help.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 April 06 10:16 BST (UK) »
PRONI Freeholders List has an Edward News recorded at Silverwood c1820

Edward News

Broken link

Offline Mylett

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 April 06 01:23 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Having a lovely time looking at the sites you gave me and have sent a letter off to Hugh News - will let you know if I get a reply.

At least I've got a place for these elusive NEWS - I mentioned that it has been spelt NEUS and, on an American connection's site as GNEUS - so finding them  has been a huge leap.

Thanks Chris, Mike and Scotmum ... again!

All the best,
Gail :D

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gail,

There are three items you require when searching for Irish ancestors.

1. Denomination.
2. Parish
3. Townland.

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline crosswords

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Ah! Yes, Christopher - thanks to you and others who have given advice and assistance I have learnt a bit more ... but have to admit my eyes cross when I try to get a grip on Parish etc. :-\

One records shows:
street - Silverwood
townland - Lurgan
town - Craigavon
County- Armagh

Another:

Husband's townland - Silverwood
Wife's townland - Derryettagh

Street - Seagoe Roman Catholic (that must be the church where the marriage took place)
town - Craigavon
area - Seagoe
county - Down   ?????

We found the birth of my Ellen Catherine NEWS brother, Patrick b. 1861 when he got the film from LDS for Seagoe Parish BUT neither Ellen nor her other siblings were there ????

So, I do know that the family was Catholic (Ellen is buried in the Catholic Section of Rookwood Cemetery in New South Wales, Australia).

One day, I hope, a NEWS descendant will get in touch  :D

With thanks,
Gail