Author Topic: Baptism Help Mary Ann Davey  (Read 10678 times)

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
Baptism Help Mary Ann Davey
« on: Wednesday 16 February 05 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys

I have just found out a small piece of info which destroys part of my tree. :'(

I found out that a Mary Ann DAVEY was not the daughter of William and Christan but really Joseph and Martha (Keast).

I need to find out when she was born.

I have these census info which places her at about 1796.

1841 St Neot Census

Folio 5 Page 3
Northwood,
Thomas Mallet 40 Farmer Yes,
Mary Mallet 40 Yes
Mary Mallet 20 Yes
Thomas Mallet 13 Yes
Folio 6 Page 4
Joseph Mallet 11 Yes
William Mallet 7 Yes
Jane Mallet 5 Yes
Martha Mallet 2 Yes
Jane Mallet 70 Independant Yes
Jane Davey 50,Independant Yes

1851 St Neot Census

HO107/1902 Folio 341 Page 5
Nothwood
St Neot Cornwall

MALLETT Thomas Head 58 Mar Farmer of 50 Acres Employ 2 Men
MALLETT Mary A Wife 54 Mar
MALLETT Mary Dau 31 Unm
MALLETT Joseph Son 22 Unm Employed on Farm
MALLETT William Son 17 Unm Employed on Farm
MALLETT Jane Dau 15 Unm Scholar
MALLETT Martha E Dau 12 Scholar
MALLETT Jane Mother 92 Widow

1861 St Neot Census

39 East Dranes
Thomas Mallett Head M 69 Farmer Of 18acres St Neot Cornwall
Mary Mallett Wife M 65 St Neot Cornwall
Martha E Mallett Dau U 22 Dressmaker St Neot Cornwall
Thomas G Mallett Grnson 8 Scholar St Neot Cornwall

1861 says she is born in St Neot to which I have the baptism records from 1710 - 1840 on disc and she's not there.  Its to early for bible Christians as that was 1815.  So where was she baptised?

her parents are Joseph Davey and Martha Keast married 01 Jan 1778 St Neot.

Other childeren are

John 1791
Nicholas 1798
Jennifer 1794
Richard 1800
Johanna 1802

Mary Ann ?

Any Ideas

Thanks

Paul

Cornwall: Hoare, Hoar, Mallet, Mallett, Davey, Cock<br />Leicester (Croxton K)Ward<br />Lincolnshire: Smith, Moss, Baxter<br />Rutland: Dexter, Hill, Green, Fowler, Smith, Ward, Vernum, Lattimore, Chappell, Turner, Burrows<br />Northamtonshire: Baxter, Smith<br />South Africa: Moss, Dominey, Dominy, Domeney<br /><br />Requests: <br /><br />1841 Rutland Census Look Ups<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phil - keastconnect

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism Help Mary Ann Davey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 February 05 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

I am working on a one name study of the Keast clan and always interested in occurences of the name.

What makes you think that Mary Ann Davey is the daughter of Joseph & Martha (Keast)?

A parent search for Joseph and Martha on the LDS site does not show Mary as being one of theirs and it would seem odd that although they had 11 other children, the one that you are looking for does not show up.

Cheers,

Phil

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 February 05 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil

Because I have Mary Davey down as marrying Thomas Mallett. 

This entry in the non confirmist register gave me a clue.

Baptism 12 July 1827 Thomas son of Thomas Mallett(Yeoman) of St Neot & Mary his wife daughter of Joseph and Martha Davey born on 1st July 1827 Trenant Chapel.  William Courtice.

Martha and Joseph married in 01 Jan 1778

The IGI only gives this information

JOHN DAVEY - Christening: 29 NOV 1791 Saint Neot, Cornwall

JOHANNA DAVEY - Christening: 22 DEC 1802 Saint Neot, Cornwall

RICHARD DAVEY - 21 SEP 1800 Saint Neot, Cornwall

NICHOLAS DAVEY - Christening: 16 JUL 1798 Saint Neot, Cornwall

JENNIFER DAVY - Christening: 10 MAR 1794 Saint Neot, Cornwall

The St Neot Baptism register gives the same children.

The non confirmist register gives two more Elizabeth and Mary down as daughters of Joseph and Martha.

I mean I could have easily made a mistake, which is why I need some concrete evidence.

The only other strange thing is the birth of the first child John 1791.  They married in 1778 and it was until 13 years later they had a child?

PS This is all guess work sat at home on the computer, until I go to the records office!!

Paul

Cornwall: Hoare, Hoar, Mallet, Mallett, Davey, Cock<br />Leicester (Croxton K)Ward<br />Lincolnshire: Smith, Moss, Baxter<br />Rutland: Dexter, Hill, Green, Fowler, Smith, Ward, Vernum, Lattimore, Chappell, Turner, Burrows<br />Northamtonshire: Baxter, Smith<br />South Africa: Moss, Dominey, Dominy, Domeney<br /><br />Requests: <br /><br />1841 Rutland Census Look Ups<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 February 05 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

If you go to the IGI, ignore the boxes on the left for first and last name.

Under "Father" enter first and last name. Under "Mother" enter ONLY first name and then select British Isles - any more will make the system blow a raspberry.

From the resulting 21 names, you can ignore those outside of Cornwall and you will see that the first 6 children of Joseph and Martha were baptised in St Cleer.

As there were another 5 christened in St Neot, then unless there was a brief period of worship with a non-conformist church - and Mary just happened to be baptised there - then it does seem unlikely but not impossible that Mary is theirs.

I look forward to the results of your search at the records office!

Cheers,

Phil
Keast Connect Project
Cornwall Family History Society #11217

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 February 05 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil

Thanks for bringing the other 6 children to my attention.

She still does not fit in though?

I have her birth about 1796/97.

Here are the census returns for her so far.  I have called her Davey just to make my timeline easier to follow.  Note that 1841 ages do not add up.  Possibly been rounded down by 5yrs.

St Neot   
Thomas Mallet Head    M 40 Farmer
Mary Ann Davey Wife M 40      
Mary Mallett Dau U   20           St Neot  1820   
Thomas Mallett Son   U 13   St Neot 1828   
Joseph Mallett Son   U 11   St Neot  1829   
William Mallett Son   U 7      
Jane Mallett Dau U   5      
Martha E Mallett Dau U 2      
Jane Mallett Mother   W 70      
Jane Davey W 50      

1851   St Neot

Thomas Mallett Head M 58 Farmer
Mary Ann Davey Wife M 54      
Mary Mallett Dau U   30 St Neot    
Joseph Mallett Son   U 22 St Neot Employed on farm
William Mallett Son   U 17 Employed on farm
Jane Mallett Dau U 15 St Neot Scholar
Martha E Mallett Dau 12   Scholar
Jane Mallett Mother   W 80      

1861   St Neot, Northwood   

John Mallett Head   M   74
Elizabeth Davey ?   Wife   M   71
Richard Davey    Gr Son   U   17
Joseph Davey   Gr Son   U   15
William Davey   Gr Son   U   13
Jane Ann Wilton   Ser   U   17

Now Phil if you can follow that, I have her exact marriage cert with the above Thomas so I know she is a Davey.

My next move is tracking her parents.  I though it was these people originally.

Mary A. Davey b. 1796, parents William and Christian, and she has a brother:

MARY ANN DAVEY -  Christening: 06 FEB 1796 Saint Neot, Cornwall
WILLIAM DAVIE - Christening: 25 NOV 1804 Saint Neot, Cornwall

But when I read the Non conformist register at Truro records office for Bible Christians (Started in 1815) the entry of her son Thomas was in there clearly giving her parents as Joseph and Martha Davey.  The entry is below.

Baptism 12 July 1827 Thomas son of Thomas Mallett(Yeoman) of St Neot & Mary his wife daughter of Joseph and Martha Davey born on 1st July 1827 Trenant Chapel.  William Courtice.

Also in those records are Joseph and Martha's daughter Elizabeth.

So I'm assuming Mary Ann is baptised elsewhere, but not logged on the LDS site.

But I definately think she is a daughter of Joseph Davey and Mary Keast.

What do you think Phil?  Is this a line of your research?

Regards Paul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 February 05 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Let us assume that your thinking is correct.

Then out of 12 children born to Joseph and Martha, only one (Mary Ann) was not baptised in the C of E.

So in a fairly short period (between March 1794 and July 1798, the family became non-conformists and then reverted to C of E.

When you go to CRO, you might want to try and find a will for either one of the Daveys or the Malletts.

Do you happen to have anything on Thomas Malletts family as I think that 4 of his siblings connect to the Keast family in various ways.

There seem to be other connections between the Keast, Mallett and Davey families in St Neot - some of which may relate to your family.

If you care to contact me at:

Moderator comment: e-mail address removed to prevent spamming.  Please use pm facility to exchange addresses

I can send you what information I have on Martha Keast's family.

Cheers,

Phil

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 February 05 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil

Thomas Mallett married a Mary Ann Davey 17 March 1819.

I have the above marriage certificate, you can have.

They had 8 children which I'm aware of.  Now the unusual thing is, 3 of the children are bible christians, but its not what you would think, i.e. the latter 3.  Its like 2 in the middle and 1 at the end.

Bearing in mind Bible christians were formed about 1815 by a man called Bryant.

Ok Phil this is what I have got.

Family tree maker 2005 I can let you have a copy of my tree.

I have St Neot Baptisms 1710 - 1840.  I can give you Keast, Mallett and Davey.

Liskeard 1710 - 1840 same as above.

I will be getting St Cleer soon as a lot of my family appear there too!!

I'm also thinking of buying the pre Non conformist register CD from Parish Chest to help me.

I have recently visited the Truro records office and have about 8 pages of marriages for St Neot etc including a John Keast and Grace Crapp 1808.

Loads of other info on Mallett families, word docs, excel etc.

Photographs of Gravestones of a recent trip to St Neot & St Cleer

Thomas Mallett and his family is what I'm concentrating all my efforts on at the moment.

I have just found out today from Liskeard reg office the second marriage of Joseph HOARE to my Mary Mallett.  He I believe was married previous to a Elizabeth COCK.  I get all the good names!!

Let me know what you want and we will swap email addresses via PM.

Paul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

I'm also using FTM 2005 - so either a copy of your file or a gedcom would be fine.

It might be easier for you to let me have what you have on computer rather me be specific - although my interest is Keasts and their descendants rather than Malletts!

I am though still lacking information to connect Henry Mallett and Elizabeth Keast to their respective families - they married in St Neot in 1658 and do not appear to have had children.

The John Keast who married Grace Crapp is a tricky one. He is one of several children born to a William & Mary.

HOWEVER, a William Keast married Mary Henwood on 21st June 1780 - and on 13th May 1784 another William Keast married Mary Lord. I have yet to work out which William married which Mary and produced which children - and John is one of them.

I have studied the marriage entries and cannot find any pointers and from what I recall of the baptism records, there is nothing on there either - so I need a will or something!

I will try and use this pm thingy and see what happens.

Cheers,

Phil

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Ok Phil

I will send you what I have when u resend your email addy!!

I deleted it, whoops ::)

Paul