Author Topic: Visitations of Bedfordshire - RUFFORD  (Read 6102 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Visitations of Bedfordshire - RUFFORD
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 August 10 14:49 BST (UK) »
From the 16th century until the present day people have frequently adopted coats of arms to which they were not entitled.  In fact one of the reasons for the heralds' visitations was to ensure that people using them did in fact have a pedigree which supported that use.

The other thing to be aware of is that individuals on other branches of families were often granted arms which had "differences" from those of the original.  These differences could sometimes only be a colour change and so unless you are looking at a correctly coloured illustration or a black and white one where the colours are strictly correctly represented the arms may belong to a different individual.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lunnbelleyetere

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 August 10 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
The connection to the Worcestershire Ruffords is John Rufford born abt 1495 at Butlers Manor Northall nr Edlesborough. He married Miss Welles 9th great granddaughter of King Edward 1st.
It goes
John Rufford born Butlers
Walter Rufford born abt 1520 Nether sappa married Margaret Coles Nether sappa 
Roger Rufford
Roger Rufford
The last Roger is the start of the Visitation Rufford of Sapey

Re the John Rufford of London on the visitation I have racked my brains out the last few months and I have come to the conclusion he had a son John born 1633 at St Giles Cripplegate who had a son Thomas born 1664. I then think then due to the plague 1664 and the great fire of london 1665 this Thomas get sent to live with family back in Bedfordshire and appears in Millbrook Bedfordshire. The John born 1633 stayed in London and had more children there.

Offline lunnbelleyetere

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 August 10 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I made a mistake. Miss Welles is the 7th great granddaughter not the 9th of King Edward 1st

Offline Barry R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 October 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
From the 16th century until the present day people have frequently adopted coats of arms to which they were not entitled.  In fact one of the reasons for the heralds' visitations was to ensure that people using them did in fact have a pedigree which supported that use.

The other thing to be aware of is that individuals on other branches of families were often granted arms which had "differences" from those of the original.  These differences could sometimes only be a colour change and so unless you are looking at a correctly coloured illustration or a black and white one where the colours are strictly correctly represented the arms may belong to a different individual.

David

Hi David,

The basic Rufford arms of "Argent, a chevron betw 3 trefoils slipped, sable" is the same for both the Buckingham and Worcester visitations. However the 1569/1634 Worcester visitations have "a pile issuing from the chief of the 2nd" added to the arms (1683 Worcester visit has no pile). This is reflected in Burkes with a local MI confirming the pile. So I'm guessing that the 2 families are linked in some way but will be impossible to confirm. What complicates things is that Burkes has the "Wickes of Frampton on Severn" with the same blazon.

The basic "a chevron betw 3 trefoils slipped" seems to be a common blazon in England and Ireland, appearing with numerous colour schemes. Because of the general lack of colour illustrations it can get very confusing.

Regards,

Barry

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 October 10 22:25 BST (UK) »
In a black and white illustration the colours are represented in a standard manner for each colour.

Argent(silver)- white
Or (gold)- dots
gules (red) vertical lines
azure (blue) horizontal lines
purpure(purple) diagonal lines top right to bottom left
sable(black) vertical and horizontal lines
vert (green) diagonal lines top left to bottom right'

The addition of the pile probably indicates that the shield belongs to a lesser branch of the family or one for which the relationship was not proved to the satisfaction of the heralds.  The changes in colour usually derive from a proven relationship but through younger sons after their father had died.  Prior to his death the standard cadency brisures (small charges positioned in chief) would have been used.

David

Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barry R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
The connection to the Worcestershire Ruffords is John Rufford born abt 1495 at Butlers Manor Northall nr Edlesborough. He married Miss Welles 9th great granddaughter of King Edward 1st.
It goes
John Rufford born Butlers
Walter Rufford born abt 1520 Nether sappa married Margaret Coles Nether sappa 
Roger Rufford
Roger Rufford
The last Roger is the start of the Visitation Rufford of Sapey

Re the John Rufford of London on the visitation I have racked my brains out the last few months and I have come to the conclusion he had a son John born 1633 at St Giles Cripplegate who had a son Thomas born 1664. I then think then due to the plague 1664 and the great fire of london 1665 this Thomas get sent to live with family back in Bedfordshire and appears in Millbrook Bedfordshire. The John born 1633 stayed in London and had more children there.

Hi,

I think you got your details from the IGI and other dubious sources as there is no documented connection between the 2 families other than having similar blazons. According to the 1569 Worcester Visitation the John who married the daughter of Welles was the son of the Roger and the daughter of Delabere which started the tree.

There is also no documented evidence to which Welles family John's wife was related to. There are trees on the web indicating a connection via the family of Eudo Welles but these have no basis in fact.

All  the same, it's worth looking at all the information out there as maybe one day we'll find that connection; it also keeps the little grey cells in working order.

Regards,

Barry