Author Topic: Information please about Ship Owner Charles A Jerrett.  (Read 19273 times)

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Information please about Ship Owner Charles A Jerrett.
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Baz

Great to hear from you and many thanks for clearing up that mystery.   I knew there was a link, but couldn't find it.

Looking back over this thread, I see that my question about the 'A' in Charles A's name was Arthur.   I'm not sure where the name originated, but it has been carried on in this line of Jerretts to this day.   You are right about my husband's father and grandfather.   I will have a look at the photos we have and also ask an ancient Aunt if she can help, but I don't hold out much hope I'm afraid.   Maybe there is a photo of Robert in one of the books in the Liverpool Maritime Museum.   I don't know when we will be able to get there next, but will bear the photos in mind.   I too would love to see some.

Do you happen to have a record of the marriage of Robert and Sarah Strong?   The only one I can find is 18th March 1846 in Paddington, London, which is after five of their children were born.   I think that Robert and Sarah's son Robert b 1843 was a sailor in the Merchant Service.   He appears on the 1861 Census.

All for now.   I look forward to hearing from you again.

Best wishes,

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Forrest - Ellon Aberdeenshire, Govan Glasgow
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Jerrett - Devon, Lancashire
McMillan - Belfast Ireland, Govan Glasgow
MacMillan - Vancouver Canada
Thornley - Warwickshire
Wernham - Chieveley Berkshire

Offline bigbazza

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Joan
This is getting interesting, isn't it?
My theory about the name Arthur is that a lot of children were named after Queen Victoria's children and Prince Arthur was born in 1850. It could have started from there.
My fathers middle name was Arthur and it is possible he was named after SSJ's son. SSJ was my grandfathers uncle.
Is the ancient aunt you refer to named Myrtle by any chance? My quest for old photo's led me to contact Myrtle earlier this year but I'm afraid she and her sisters Beryl and Sally have got nothing further back than about 1920. I've had some interesting telephone conversations with all of them and my wife and I lunched with Sally (who doesn't live that far from us) about 6 weeks ago.
We met Beryl while we were on holiday in the South West last month and had lunch with her, Harry
and Emily. She was in great form! We have arranged to meet Myrtle later on this month.
I am hoping to visit the Liverpool Maritime Museum later this year so maybe a joint effort might un earth something.
Re: Robert and Sarahs marriage:
Their first 5 children were born out of wedlock including my great grandmother.
All 5 were baptised with the name Jerrett (not Strong) at St. Swithuns Church, Sandford.
We perused all the baptismal records on microfiche at the Devon Record Office and can only assume that Sarah lied about being married.
I also have a copy of the marriage certificate dated 18th March 1846 which took place in Paddington.
Robert became a Master Mariner shortly after the marriage and we think that this was to secure some future financial benefit to Sarah which she could only receive if she was married.
They made sure the marriage took place well away from Sandford though didn't they?
Re:Robert Jerrett Junior:
Robert was the 5th child to be baptised at St. Swithuns on 17th October 1844.
He became a merchant seaman and was working for his father on the merchant ship Sea Queen
at the time of his fathers death at Falmouth, Cornwall on 17th January 1873.
Sea Queen was owned by Goodyear & Co. and Robert senior had captained the ship since 1871.
Robert Junior married Emily Strong from Crediton in Liverpool in 1872. They had a son named Samuel Strong Jerrett the same year. Emily died in 1898 age 47.
By the way, Robert and Sarah were 3rd cousins.
I never found out where Robert senior was buried. Do you know by any chance?
Well thats all for the time being, speak to you again soon. (Now, how do these smiley faces work?)
Baz.

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Baz

Thanks for all your information.

I had a feeling that Robert and Sarah weren't married for some time, even tho' she appears on various censuses as 'wife of'.   She was a schoolmistress, so I suppose she couldn't risk anyone knowing.   That also explains the Paddington marriage :o

I knew that Robert died in Falmouth and have tried trolling thru some of the church sites there without success, so far.   Sarah was living in Liverpool then, but I can find no record of Robert's burial up there.   Sarah was buried in the cemetery in Toxteth Park, Liverpool.   I have her grave number, but when we went to find it there had been a complete rearrangment and the map bore no resemblance to the one I had.   We were told that if a grave had been untended for 100 years or more it was reused, which would explain why so many modern graves are mixed up with the old ones.

You have solved another great mystery for me :)   The 1881 census has Samuel Strong as head of household, Sarah - mother and widow, and then Samuel Strong - nephew, aged 8 years.   I haven't been able to find him anywhere, so now I know :)

As we are going to be talking about several living people from now on, I am sending you a PM (personal message).

By the way, the smiley faces show up as various punctuation marks as you put them in, but you can check them if you look at the preview of your message.

PM to follow.

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 June 09 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi J J

Sorry not to have thanked you before now for those two great websites :-[   They were much appreciated.

Regards,   Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire

Offline AJerrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 30 July 09 02:31 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
My great-great-grandfather was George Churchill Jerrett and I am interested in anything you could send me/tell me about the family.  Looking forward to meeting some more relatives!

Alison

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 30 July 09 17:05 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Alison ...Not a rellie, but I'm sure you will meet many now that you've joined!
http://ngb.chebucto.org/Genealogy/finding-aids.shtml
were there 2 George C.? http://ngb.chebucto.org/L1871/71-brigus01.shtml
http://ngb.chebucto.org/H1864/64-brigus-pdg.shtml
a great grandson who still lives in Brigus
http://www.brigus.net/messages.htm

George Churchill Jerrett fonds
6 cm of textual records, 6 maps, 2 marine charts, 21 artifacts / 1914-1945
http://www.archivescanada.ca/english/search/ItemDisplay.asp?sessionKey=999999999_142&l=0&lvl=1&v=0&coll=1&itm=206574&rt=1&bill=1
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 30 July 09 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

Great to hear from you and welcome to rootschat from me too :)

My husband's 2xg grandfather Robert Jerrett b 1815 in Sandford, Devon (a Master Mariner) was the youngest brother of George Churchill Jerrett's father James.

George Churchill Jerrett was the son of James Jerrett b1803 in Sandford, Devon (a Master Cooper) and Mary Ann Churchill b1817 in Ottery St Mary, Devon.   They were married in Exeter, Devon 31.03.1834.   They had four children:   George Churchill Jerrett b1835 Exeter, Devon; Wilhelmina Jerrett christened 12.02.1837 Morchard Bishop, Devon, died 1837; Mary Ann Jerrett christened 11.06.1842 Morchard Bishop; and William Henry Jerrett christened 24.06.1844 Morchard Bishop.

George and William emigrated to Newfoundland, but I have no date for this so far.   Their mother Mary Ann Churchill died in 1847 and father James married Maria Hamlin b1812 and they had two Children:   Keturah Jerrett b1851 Morchard Bishop and James Jerrett b1855 Morchard Bishop (he was a Cooper like his father).

I believe George Churchill Jerrett married twice.   Once to possibly to a Charlotte and also to Mary H Nuttal b1833.   One of his children was Charles Arthur Jerrett b1866 in Brigus, Newfoundland, but I'm not sure who his mother was - perhaps you can help me there ???   He was a shipowner.   Charles Arthur Jerrett married Anna Antle, and possibly someone else too.   Anna died in 1904.   They had a son Ernest V Jerrett b1902 and he was an accountant.   There were other siblings.

I hope that this has been of some help to you and perhaps you can fill me in on some of the more recent Jerretts ???   I have Jerretts going back to around 1610 and also several branches of more recent Jerretts.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Joan

Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 30 July 09 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ

Great websites.   I particularly like the Brigus one with all the messages.   Lots of Jerretts :)

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 30 July 09 21:21 BST (UK) »
Don't know if reliable, but this site says mother of Charles Arthur Jerrett is Charlotte PROWSE
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=carlprowse&id=I1284
More on her:  http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=carlprowse&id=I172

so this photo must have been taken just prior to her death, as he remarried to Miriam NUTALL in 1873
( Ohhh...check out all the ones of right spelling just on this list...)
http://ngb.chebucto.org/Stonepics/stonepics-hj.shtml

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cannf/nd_news_sun_1894janjune.htm
in 1894 Mr. Wm. Hy. JERRETT, to be a Surveyor of Lumber.

1887...The steamer Swallow, belonging to Mr. JERRETT of Brigus, returning from Labrador, put into port on Thursday, and left again yesterday.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cannf/nd_news_sun_1887juldec.htm
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com