Author Topic: Information please about Ship Owner Charles A Jerrett.  (Read 19291 times)

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Information please about Ship Owner Charles A Jerrett.
« Reply #36 on: Friday 31 July 09 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ

Thanks again :)

George Churchill Jerrett's father was a cooper and it went back for generations, so quite likely.   Also, I suppose carpentry would be a natural progression.

Thankyou for Charlotte Prowse.   I had pencilled in the name Charlotte, but knew nothing else about her and I didn't even know if George Churchill Jerrett was married before or after going to Newfoundland.   So Charlotte was Charles A Jerrett's mother.

I had George's second wife as Mary H Nuttall, not Miriam, but could have been a misreading of something.

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Forrest - Ellon Aberdeenshire, Govan Glasgow
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Jerrett - Devon, Lancashire
McMillan - Belfast Ireland, Govan Glasgow
MacMillan - Vancouver Canada
Thornley - Warwickshire
Wernham - Chieveley Berkshire

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 31 July 09 19:23 BST (UK) »
and don't forget that church was built under the supervision of George C. Jerret...1875-1877..so he was very versatile...he was called a "local builder" http://www.heritage.nf.ca/society/rhs/ab_listing/227.html ...and in the 1864/65 directory url I gave you. In this one, in 1871 William becomes the carpenter, and father now runs a store.
( which may account for him being a superviser on the church...guess he's getting on in years)
His and other tenders, as well as little snippets regarding the construction of that church:
http://ngb.chebucto.org/Articles/brigus-methodist.shtml
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 31 July 09 19:52 BST (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline AJerrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 03 August 09 03:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Thanks so much for all that info.  The Prowse family information that JJ referenced is very reliable - the compiler is a cousin of mine.  Charlotte Prowse is correct.  The Prowse name was carried on in my line as a given name - William Henry Prowse Jerrett was my great grandfather, his son (my grandfather) was Harold Prowse Jerrett, and his son (my father) is has Prowse in his name as well (much to his chagrin).  I'll ask my father about "Miriam."  It was someone's name - she went by "Min"  I remember my father telling me.  So, more to come soon.

I would love to get all the info on the Jerretts back to 1610.  That would be fabulous.  I can definitely get some info on more recent Jerretts.  I'm not sure if I'm permitted to use names and birthdates, etc., on this forum for persons still living.  I know my father doesn't care - I have his permission.  And I certainly don't care about my information being posted.  Please advise what is acceptable and what is not.  Be back soon with more answers (and probably questions, too!).      ~Alison

Offline AJerrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 03 August 09 03:42 BST (UK) »
I forgot to say that George Churchill was a fine carpenter and craftsman.  He did later open a large general store which William Henry also ran.  My father tells many a story about the store.  After William died, the will was in probate for so long that the children of William "gutted" the place and my great-grandmother got a paltry amount considering how wealthy they were.  I believe they also had a funeral home, but don't take that as gospel just yet.  I'll ask my father for clarification. 

William Henry was married to Frances (Fanny) Louisa Spracklin.  The Spracklins moved to the Harbour Grace area in the 1600's sometime.  They bought about half of what was John Guy's original colony in Newfoundland.  I think her father's name was Michael.  Not a Jerrett, but an interesting history on the Spracklin side.  More info to come!

Alison

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 03 August 09 03:49 BST (UK) »
Initials only for the forenames of the living, and if anyone wants the full information, you may now send full information on the living by private message...just click on the scroll to the left of the person's information...When using personal message, tho...the reply button is  the send button for some reason...but it takes a bit to get used to that...all the best, J.J.

Offline AJerrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 03 August 09 04:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks JJ.  I modified my previous posts.  Check this out for Jerretts:
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SHOW&db=carlprowse&recno=804

That should be helpful.  It also indicates there are 2 George Churchill Jerretts, to answer JJ's question.  The original and his grandson, the son of Charles Arthur.

Alison

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 03 August 09 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ

Again, thankyou for some great websites.

Yes, I did have your original information about George Churchill Jerrett and the new church, thankyou, but your new piece is interesting with the actual tenders.

Joan :)

Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 03 August 09 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

Thanks for all that information.   I have sent you a PM (personal message).

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire