Author Topic: Seeking Richmond near Dublin  (Read 6340 times)

Offline ggw42

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://wilson-mciver.com/
    • View Profile
Seeking Richmond near Dublin
« on: Tuesday 17 March 09 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I found a reference  in an 1827 document to some relatives "ANN BLACK, spouse of Iver McIver residing at Richmond near Dublin, and Janet Black residing there" but I have been unable to locate this Richmond near Dublin. I did a Google search but only came up with a few other queries asking the same question or mentioning people who came from there too. If anyone has any idea, please let me know.
Glen
Wilson & Williamson from Cumbra, Wilson to India & Australia; Thompson & Hall from Berwick-on-Tweed - Thompson's to New York, Cork & Australia;
Foreman from Middlesex to Australia & Pagliano from Piedmont Italy to Queensland Australia.

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Richmond near Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 21:05 GMT (UK) »
There is a Richmond Street in north central city of Dublin... I know only of this reference.  It was location of former Richmond Hospital.
Wiffen, Utton, Clark, Spires,  Frisby, Raybould, Charlton, Green, (England)
Flood,  Daly, Doran, Mc Kercher, Gardiner, (Ireland/England)
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)
McGourty, Daly (Ireland/America)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 21:07 GMT (UK) »
there was a Barracks called Richmond in Inchicore, and still is a Richmond Road near Fairview.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Richmond is/was indeed near Fairview.

It is a townland in the parish of Clonturk; the parish is now generally known as Drumcondra.

The townland is bounded by:
in the S, the River Tolka - Richmond Road is within the townland, roughly parallel to the Tolka;
in the W, Grace Park Road;
in N & NE, by Grace Park Terrace & (approx) Annadale Drive;
in the E, vaguely approx by Richmond Avenue, Inverness Road, Foyle Road.

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 12:56 GMT (UK) »
looks like Richmond was a district in the 1820s - these are from Pigot's 1824, the address for these entries just had Richmond - no street or number, and one mentions Richmond House :

(Dublin city nobility & gentry section)

Edward Hughes, esq, Richmond
Rev. Hugh Moore, Richmond
Sir James Riddell, Richmond House
W.B. Sutton esq, Richmond
Robert Tomlinson esq, Richmond

theres also a Richmond Street, avenue and place

the section on the Royal Canal mentions '..Boats from the Royal Canal Harbour, to Richmond, through Clonsilla, Rye-Aqueduct, Maynooth, and all places intervening every other day...'

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Here's a map from 1821  showing 'Richmond':

Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Glen...You may have all this, but posting just in case....
Have you seen this site, or is it yours?
http://www.bells.org.au/gdbtree/HTMLFiles/HTMLFiles_08/Iver_MCIVER_P10878.html
site no longer online...  :-\

If she was also known as Agnes Anna Black, then this may have been another son...
Duncan McIver - Christened: Dec. 10, 1788, Middle Or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
10 DEC 1788      Middle Or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland      
Parents Iver MCIVER and Agnes BLACK
and has the extracted marriage for the couple as well..March 31, 1788 / West Or Old Parish, Greenock, Renfrew

A submission for the son John Black McIver in 1807
and John's son extracted file:
John Black McIver Born March 25th  1837 / Christened Oct. 29, 1837, Kilfinan, Argyll, Scotland Parents
John (Black) McIver  & Cathcart Anderson Baird
Photo of Catherine here: http://www.bairdnet.com/portraits/portraits2.html
More on this family: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/w/e/s/Akh-Westh/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0017.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline ggw42

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://wilson-mciver.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much everyone, I have been looking for this information for years with no luck. Without knowing the place I didn't know where to look for information on the family. I still don't, I suppose, but at least I now have a starting point which I didn't have before.
The map is a great help as it the area description. Thanks too to JJ, that BELL site is definitely run by relatives and I hadn't come across it before. Hopefully I can pay you all back at some time in the future.  :D
Glen
Wilson & Williamson from Cumbra, Wilson to India & Australia; Thompson & Hall from Berwick-on-Tweed - Thompson's to New York, Cork & Australia;
Foreman from Middlesex to Australia & Pagliano from Piedmont Italy to Queensland Australia.

Offline lmcken

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 08:24 GMT (UK) »
If anyone wants to continue with the subject of Anne Agnes Black and Iver McIver, I would like to hear from you.  My great great grandfather was their grandson.  His name was Alexander MacDonnell and his mother was Catharine McIver who married William MacDonnell (in the Printing Industry?) of Dublin.  If anyone has any information that would shed some light on William MacDonnell I would love to hear from you.  We are the Australian branch of the tree.  I information that when William MacDonnell died, Catharine remarried again to someone named Nealand.  Does anyone know when William MacDonnell died.

Hope to hear from you.