Author Topic: Livingstone Cemetery  (Read 2209 times)

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 2x Gt Grandmother, Catherine M Turner
    • View Profile
Livingstone Cemetery
« on: Wednesday 18 March 09 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi there  :)

Could anyone please direct me to the best place i could source info on a ancestor buried in the Livingstone Cemetery in 1904-05. His name was David Farquharson, born in 1834, Scotland, died 30th Dec 1904. I have seen the Livingstone Cem doesn't seem to have an online database.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Cat
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Livingstone Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Cat

From Livingstone MI on fiche

David FARQUHARSON, d. 30 Dec 1904 a 70, also Mary CARMICHAEL, wife d Dunedin 28 Nov 1918

Married 1870 according to NZSG Marriage CD.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Oh thank you so much for that Ian  :) I didn't have that info on his wife (her surname wasn't clear on his cert so its great to clarify that!) Going by the cert they should have married around 1965 yet the BDM has no marriage for them except for one in 1967 for Mary with no husbands name. Do you think this could be them? The cert is a pain as it only states the age of Davids children at the time of his death. So far i have only been able to locate 2 daughters, yet there was 1 son and 3 daughters. Might have to have a look in Australia though as David must have popped over there in the early 1870s as he is on my gt gt grandfathers birth cert as an informant.

There wouldn't be any Nepier's on that fiche? In particular:
Patrick Francis Nieper who married David's daugher (died in 1950) Mary Stewart Farquharson. Patrick died in 1923 by the looks. The only thing i have found on them (besides 2 children) is that Patrick had a bankruptcy record in Dunedin.

Thank you so much for the info. Much appreciated!
Cat
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 08:29 GMT (UK) »
OOPS

"BDM has no marriage for them except for one in 1967"

i meant 1867!

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry no NEPIERs in Livingstone.

David and Mary were married 1870 according to NZSG Marriage CD. Could not find him on the new BDM website but did find her in 1870. Unfortunately marriage certs will not name parents that far back.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Oh drats! I had just reread your post and saw the ref to the 1970 marriage. Could be worthwhile looking into. I see her now in 1970 on the BDM. The site seems a little slow at the moment! Thank you so much for your help!

So exciting finding all this info on David. He had been a brickwall untill i received the death cert from another researcher today. Now the info seems to be all fitting together! I haven't done any research for awhile so is a good way to get back into it!

Thanks again Ian, you've been a great help!
Cat

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 11:20 GMT (UK) »

There wouldn't be any Nepier's on that fiche? In particular:
Patrick Francis Nieper who married David's daugher (died in 1950) Mary Stewart Farquharson. Patrick died in 1923 by the looks. The only thing i have found on them (besides 2 children) is that Patrick had a bankruptcy record in Dunedin.

Hi Cat

Patrick Francis (d. 1923) is in the Anderson's Bay Cemetery, Dunedin.   (A few others of same surname, also on the Dunedin cemeteries database).

http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/

Lu

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Oh thank you Lu, will go have a look now!

I've just heard back from another researcher (who gave me a copy of cert) and she has found Mary came from Australia so will go and have a look into that as well.

There are quite a few articles on paperspast referring to David Farquharson in Livingstone, such a fantastic site!

Thanks alot for the help!
Cat

Offline Marian Osward

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 March 12 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cat,
Are you still around?  Have been contacted by another Aussie cousin, descended from Harriet Farq. dau. of John & Ann who is a rather new researcher.  I want to share our family with her, but would like to hear from you as to how much of the Carlton research you wouldn't mind my sharing with her.  Hope all is well with the Kiwis.  Look forward to hearing from you.
Have missed our exchanges.
Marian in USA