Author Topic: 1861 Census request  (Read 2920 times)

Offline maplefudge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1861 Census request
« on: Wednesday 18 March 09 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I would like to look up Edward Stone and family (as well as a couple other families) on the 1861 census, they were living in Ontario. Does anyone know if this information is online? Also I would like to find the dod for Edward Stone and order his death certificate. Does anyone know how I go about this? thanks so much,

cheers,
maplefudge

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census request
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 March 09 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi maplefudge,

Do you know where in Ontario this family lived?

Lisa

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 March 09 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maplefudge,

I can find 5 Edward Stone deaths that look like they could be yours. There are several others with the middle name of Edward or middle initial E.  Do you have anything else you can add like a birthyear or wife or childrens names?
Thanks.

Lisa

Offline maplefudge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 March 09 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my Stone family lived in Oxford county. Edward Stone's wife's name was Sarah (nee Ellery). They were both born in 1833, England. In 1861, they had atleast one daughter, Deborah Stone (born. 1859/1860). That's about all I know, hope that helps. I don't mind searching myself if this information is online. I just haven't found it myself online yet. Thanks so much everyone.

cheers,
maplefudge

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 March 09 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maplefudge,

I've sent you a private message.

Lisa

Offline maplefudge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 March 09 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks lisaw. Haven't had time to look at website. Need to sort out some names and dates. some are mixed up. thanks for the research tips.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 March 09 20:18 GMT (UK) »
I found the following marriages at Ancestry:

Selina Stone, 18, born Canada, daughter of Edward and Sarah Stone married John Purvis, 24, born Canada, son of William and Martha Purvis on 18 Jan 1876 in Usborne.

Edward Stone, 21, born Dereham, son of Edward Stone and Sarah Ellery married Ellen Thompson, 19, born Usborne, daughter of James Thompson and Ann Pybus on 18 Nov 1885 in Usborne.

Sarah Jane Stone, 23, born Dereham, daughter of Edward and Sarah Stone married John Campell, 23, born Zorra, son of James and Lydia Campell on 24 Mar 1886 in Dereham.

Usborne is in Huron County while Dereham is in Oxford County.

On the 1881 census in Dereham, there is a 16 year old Edward Stone living in the household of Thomas Ellery and family. Here's a link to the census page at Library and Archives Canada (line 23 of top image):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e328/e008198058.jpg

Here's an entry from the 1881 census for John and Selina Purvis with their son in Parry Sound & Parry Island, Muskoka (starts line 3 of top image):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e328/e008180021.jpg

Here's an entry from the 1881 census for a Sarah J. Stone, 18, in the household of William and Anna Stone in Dereham. Her relationship to the family isn't mentioned but I think she is the neice of William and Anna as there is a marriage at Ancestry for a William Stone and Anna Ellery listed (details to follow). Here's a link to the image (William Stone is on the last line of the top image and Sarah J. is on line 10 of the bottom image):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e328/e008198059.jpg

There were a number of Ellerys listed on the same page as Sarah's and Edward's entries.

Here are the details for the marriage of Anna Ellery and William Stone:

Anna Ellery, 17, born England, residence Dereham, daughter of William and Esther Ellery married William P. Stone, 22, born England, residence Dereham, son of Edward and Jane Stone on 16 Dec 1859 in Oxford County.

Here's another Ellery marriage:

Thomas Ellery, 30, born England, son of William and Esther Ellery married Emma Cotton, 23, born Woodstock, daughter of Robert and Sarah Cotton on 5 Feb 1872 in West Salford, Oxford County.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 March 09 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I just came across a possible second marriage for Sarah Ellery. Here are the details:

Sarah Stone, 35, born England, widow, daughter of William and Esther Stone married William Horton, 38, born Canada, widower, son of John and Elizabeth Horton on 7 Apr 1870 in Beachville, Oxford County.

Although the registration has the wrong surname listed her parents, their first names match with the parents of the Anna Ellery who married William Stone and Sarah was listed as a widow so it is quite possible that the parents' surname was wrongly listed by the registrar.

If Edward Stone died before 1869 then there won't be a registration as the statutory registration of deaths didn't start until Jul 1869 in Ontario.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline maplefudge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 March 09 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jacquie. very helpful. There is a lot there to sort thru, not sure if it's the correct family, but I'll try and sort it out. thanks for the links.

cheers,
maplefudge