Author Topic: Stonemasons of Dumfriesshire  (Read 6311 times)

Offline Gibson1900

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stonemasons of Dumfriesshire
« on: Wednesday 18 March 09 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me what is the best way of finding out more information about stonemasons in Dumfries town and shire around the late eighteenth and first half of the nineteenth century? My great-great-great grandfather Alexander Gibson (1805-1878) was a stonemason in Dumfries, and possibly his father before him in the Glencairn or Holywood area. Was there a guild and are there lists of members anywhere?

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: STONEMASONS OF DUMFRIESSHIRE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 March 09 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gibson

I'm also interested in this subject as my great grandfather was also a stone mason in the area during the mid 19th century.   I'm planning to go to the Dumfries area around Easter.  I don't know how much I will be able to pack in to one day as I want to go to Moffat, Lockerbie and Leadhills and possibly fit in Dumfries, (if not I will go there on a different day), I will see if I can find any info one this subject and let you know.

Jean  :)

Offline Gibson1900

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 18:26 GMT (UK) »
That would be very interesting! We also have a Leadhills connection - Alexander Gibson's mother, Mary McCall, was born there on 15 April 1782 (not sure if there is necessarily a stonemason connection there). We would be interested in any lists of names, sources, etc, so I wish you luck in your searches!

Offline bill0765

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 17:52 BST (UK) »
hi
my ggggrandfather robert clark b1796 became a mason by1861 before he was a miller possibly in annan but he may have moved away because one of his sons james moved to blyth and became a master mariner .

bill

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 May 09 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Gibson and Bill

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you but, due to family illness, I didn't manage to get to Dumfries over Easter, however I'm still planning to go. 

I phoned the Ewart library and was told that they do not have apprentice records but they do have some local directories.  I'll let you know what I can find out.

Jean  :)

Offline Gibson1900

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 May 09 17:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear about your family illness. Best of luck!

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 20:56 BST (UK) »
For what it's worth (probably not a lot!) my great grandfather James Paterson was a Master Mason, and family has been in Dumfriesshire for a long time.   He was born in Johnstone (or Johnstonebridge, it gets called both) in 1818 into a agricultural family but was listed as a Mason in the 1841,51 and 61 census, although he was also a farmer, and later Roads Surveyor for Upper Annandale.     I get the impression that Agriculture and Masonry went hand in hand, and wondered if in such a rural area that was normal?
Good luck with your search, both of you -
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline tegan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi I also have stonemasons in my tree also from Dumfriessire, I also noticed that we may have a family link regarding The surname of Boyes

Regards Sharon

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 May 09 10:03 BST (UK) »
I have William Richardson of Heck, in 1851, as a mason.
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams