Author Topic: ROSSITER/JOICE Doulting Somerset  (Read 10622 times)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: ROSSITER/JOICE Doulting Somerset
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 July 11 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi rcuser,

All well with me thanks.

Seems your chap was born in Somerset. Must have been home on a visit

ROSSITER
Alfred William Abel Hending Shepton M 5c 576

http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=1852817

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 July 11 13:08 BST (UK) »
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dteague

• I am sorry but my emails are not working please click on contact support for help
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 July 11 13:10 BST (UK) »
Edmund and Isabella lived in Margaret Street, Brisbane after their arrival and Isabella set up a business in her trade.  Did they return to England for a visit?  I found an outbound reference for Mr and Mrs Rossiter and five children leaving for England in the 1870s. There seems to be quite a gap in the arrival of children at this time. Obviously he was back to take on the Enoggera Hotel.  There is a photo of the Rossiter Brothers tannery on Picture Australia.  After the hotel, Edmund and his son in law went into the tannery trade.  The son in law later left the business and Edmund's sons joined the business. My interest in the family comes about from my research to people who lived on Portion 272, Parish of Enoggera - the establishment of the Enoggera Hotel by Jacob Walters and the following owners/publicans. Albon Rossiter was named after Isabella's younger brother.
1851 Censuses for both are available Shepton Mallett, Somersetshire for both families (before their marriage in the December qtr of that year. My information file on Portion 272 will be available at the Windsor and Districts' Historical Society, Windsor Council Chambers, Brisbane in about a fortnight. (Sorry for a certain South Australian but I can try to answer any questions)

Offline dteague

• I am sorry but my emails are not working please click on contact support for help
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 July 11 14:00 BST (UK) »
Great! The post of the baptism of Alfred William Hending Rossiter in October 1864 means the passenger list mentioning Mr and Mrs Rossiter and five children outbound for England must have been them. Odd bits: Edmund Rossiter was added to the electoral roll for the District of Stanley (includes Brisbane) February 1856, Margaret Street, Brisbane, qualification - land owner. Edward Rossiter was chairman of the Balmoral Divisional Board in 1898-99 (local government). Lived corner of Bridgewater and Rossiter Streets.  The name of the tannery was Keralgerie Tannery on 15 acres of land along Mornington Crescent which he took up in 1876. . In 1900, it burnt down. The Enoggera Hotel was started by Jacob Walters in 1864, and it seems that Rossiter was there in 1867 (obviously after the trip home to Doulting).
The funeral of son Charles - about 9 years - took place Sunday 10 April 1870. He drowned in a local waterhole on his way home from school.  A large corroboree was held near the hotel in 1871 and as a result Mrs Rossiter was charged for supplying spiritous liquors to "the aborigines of Australia". She was found guilty and fined £5 and 3/6 costs.  There were several more corroborees afterwards but a little further away form the hotel. An area of rain forest not too far from the hotel (Three Mile Scrub) was an important aboriginal gathering point since early settlement. In the 1870s cattle etc sales were conducted at the hotel and this led to the establishment of permanent sale yards on the next property.  On May 6 1872 the hotel and 1 acre 2 roods 36 perches was put up for sale by the mortgagee.  I don't know yet if Rossiter owned or just leased the hotel of it was sold at that time.  Rossiter was still there on Boxing Day 1872 as he organised a large sport day - racing, rifle shooting, foot racing, long and high jumping, jumping in sacks, giant swing and other games including quoits.  There was music provided and dancing in the evening. Rossiter often had sports days.  The hotel was in an excellent position on the Great Northern Road - the way out of Brisbane to the Gympie goldfields (around 1868 onwards). The hotel burnt down in 18 November 1876, re-built in 1877 by the owner H.M. Kavanagh, that new hotel was put up for sale as Kavanagh was insolvent in 1879. The leasee at the time built a new hotel a little closer to town and obtained a license. A new leasee of the old hotel from the Bank of New South Wales was then un-successful in obtaining a licence.  The new sited hotel was called the Newmarket Hotel and is still in business on the new site. It sounds as if Rossiter left after the fire. 

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 July 11 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris,

Good to hear that all is well.

Thanks for the correction. Unlike the other members of the family I only have a rough date of birth for him. Never thought they would come back and probably concluded he was born there. Nice to have a more exact date.

Had reached a bit of a dead end with this family but am hopeful that I might be able to progress things a bit.

Am currently trying to help another Australian researcher with present day Rossiters from Carramar, NSW.

Have a good day.

Best wishes,

rcuser
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline dteague

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 July 11 23:50 BST (UK) »
Correction: It was Albin George Henry Rossiter who was appointed to the Balmoral Divisional Board in 1895 and later chairman. Also the modern suburb of the tannery site etc is Morningside. As well evidently a Mr Massey owed Rossiter rent (reason yet unknown) and it was advertised  on 31 August 1867, that Rossiter had taken him to court - Distaint for Rent. "The Bailiff will cause to be Sold, on the premises of the above named Massey, known as the Enoggera Hotel,on MONDAY the 2nd September, at 12 o'clock noon, Cattle, Horses, Poultry, Household Furniture, &c., &c., unless this distress be previosly satisfied." That was September - the next reference is Rossiter  advertising  the hotel to visitors on 30 November 1867.  So I guess that is how Rossiter got into the hotel business. Mrs Rossiter's usual trade in Brisbane was Milliner and Dressmaker.from when she arrived in January 1853.  In 1856 she said"Having obtained assistance from England, with the latest fashions, she will be able to execute any orders,at the shortest notice, and of the newest fashions."

Offline dteague

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 July 11 23:57 BST (UK) »
Additional: 5 February 1864: Mr & Mrs Rossiter and five children departed for London from Brisbane on the Black Ball Line's FIERY STAR - 1360 tons, Captain Yule.

Offline roscow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 August 11 02:27 BST (UK) »
My thanks to contributors for their information. The former Enoggera Hotel is said to have been situated Farm Street and Enoggera Road which would have it in proximity to the now Newmarket Primary School. From memory (I grew up in Enoggera and left the area age 21) not a long distance from the current Newmarket Hotel. Mrs Rossiter's intemperate deed would still be punishable by law in certain areas of Queensland.
I have not been able to find birth details for either John Rossiter or Jane Hending. John's birth could have been c1783 from death record 23/11/1862 age 79. This year is given support from a copy of his gravestone inscription the year date not being legible. However the transcriber (who took the photo)  has 17/11/1863 age 80. Jane, from the same inscription, 23/8/1832 age 47. The death record 27/8/1832 age 45 placing her birth year 1785 to 1787. Would welcome any corrections or information.

Regards

Zane

Offline dteague

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 August 11 21:41 BST (UK) »
Question: When did the Rossiters plus Alfred William arrive back in Brisbane after they left in 1864 and how did they get into the hotel business?
They were certainly back in 1867 for the birth of Isabella. In August of 1867 Edmund Rossiter put in a claim over John Massey for rent arrears.  The bailiff advertised that he would sell Massey's goods. "MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 2, DISTRAINT FOR RENT, ROSSITER V. MASSEY.
The Bailiff will cause to be Sold, on the premises of the abovenamed Massey, known as the Enoggera Hotel, on MONDAY, the 2nd September, at 12 o'clock noon, Cattle, Horses, Poultry, Household Furniture, &c., &c., unless the distress be previously satisfied.  G.E. O'BRIEN, Bailiff."  The next reference I can find is an advertisement for the hotel that it is on "by far the most attractive of all the suburban drives" and that he has stock of the very best drinks published on 20 November signed by Rossiter. Massey is listed as publican 1866-68 and Rossiter 1868-75.