Author Topic: John WARD - Wellington NSW  (Read 10925 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: John WARD - Wellington NSW
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 07 November 19 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Well found, JM.

I was on the computer, today, and totally forgot to look for my one.  :-\

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 07 November 19 23:50 GMT (UK) »
'Northern Argus (Rockhampton, Qld. : 1865 - 1874) Sat 9 Aug 1873 Page 3 Notice. IF THOMAS GRIFFIN does not return to me — who am his Wife — within Three Months from this date I intend to marry again. FLORA GRIFFIN. North Rockhampton, August 9th, 1873'

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 08 November 19 22:13 GMT (UK) »
It seems to me that some contributors to this thread have gone to extraordinary lengths to
challenge a new RC member, where was the RC welcome? ???

As Aristotle once wrote "One swallow does not a summer make"

i.e. one instance of an event does not necessarily indicate a trend.

The two Trove references of a woman intending to remarry while her husband was still alive
do not prove that this was the norm.  One of them was from Queensland and separated from NSW
in 1859.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Gibbs   S.Aust. & Queensland
Jennings NSW, Australia
Page  Coventry UK, Queensland Aust.
Sellars (Sellard) Gloucestershire
Kirby  Lechlade, Gloucestershire
Hampshire  Stepney, Middlesex & Hampshire
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight
Keys,  Tyrone Ireland & NSW Australia

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 08 November 19 22:39 GMT (UK) »
...a new RC member, where was the RC welcome

If they were a new member I would have welcomed them, but they have been a member since April 2010.

The QLD article was one I had to hand, but there are others. It was purely an example of what went on in Australia, re: remarriage.

I was not ‘challenging’ the idea that the deceased John may be the missing man, I am simply ‘suggesting’ that there is no evidence whatsoever that it is him. He could have changed his name, gone elsewhere in Australia, or overseas. However, it would be excellent for those seeking the correct John if it was the NSW deceased.

Jamjar

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 08 November 19 23:16 GMT (UK) »
I was not referring to the 'deceased John'.  I was referring to the time and energy expended to
'prove' women who were not widows could remarry without prosecution for bigamy.  The quoted
instances are statistically insignificant and do not prove that it was the norm.  'Challenge' also
refers to attitude beginning with reply #13. :)

Boland   NSW, Australia
Jennings NSW, Australia
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 09 November 19 00:03 GMT (UK) »
I see, then I accept that you used the incorrect word for my #13 post. I admit that it is one of my pet peeves, when folk look things up and don’t provide the information found. Why waste other folks time when you have already spent time doing it yourself. I apologise if my tone offended. People person I’m not.

I do consider my next post, where I pointed out my own stupidity, with a wink, was cheery.   ;)

I didn’t expend time and energy on proving anything. I simply recalled what I had seen on Trove and what I had on file in my own family tree. I have no doubt that it wasn’t a much used practice, but it did happen and was obviously an accepted practice. Would be great if one could still do it.  ;D

In relation to JMs posts, I find them informative and educational. I learn so much from them and don’t see them as challenging the beliefs of others, but rather as offering alternatives to what they are relating to.

Hopefully, the probate file will provide something useful. Dare I say, I have my doubts though.  ;) As experienced researchers know, some family history dilemmas are never solved.

Jamjar

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 09 November 19 05:28 GMT (UK) »
Not the incorrect word Jamjar 'beginning with' means starting there and following on from, that was
what was implied in my 'challenge' statement.  You mention your 'pet peeve', we all have those  :D
but maybe the Rchatter with only 12 posts up her sleeve didn't realize that :D  I did appreciate
her answer to that one ;D

I agree with you regarding JM's posts - I have great respect for her knowledge especially with
regard to NSW, I have told her many times she is second to none. ;D

Regards,
Jen.

Boland   NSW, Australia
Jennings NSW, Australia
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 09 November 19 05:29 GMT (UK) »
 :)

I have had several phone calls from my elderly rellies who have followed this thread over the past couple of days.   

Some observations:

The original poster commenced the enquiry over ten years ago, and the last time that RChatter posted on this thread was 19 March 2009, but that RChatter has been posting on other threads this year, and was most recently online just last month.   Perhaps this is indicating that they are no longer interested in that John WARD, Wellington NSW.

In September 2016 a new RChatter posted on the thread, made four posts, confirming they have marriage certificates etc, and has not been on RChat since June 2017. 

Until Illawarrian posted at reply #12, nothing had been added since Sept 2016. Ros had posted (at reply #5) on 14 Sept 2016 from her search of Trove from a newspaper cutting of 1 July 1854 from the Bathurst Free Press.   I mention this post because it seems to me that it is indicating that the elusive John WARD was still alive and at Montefiores, Wellington in July 1854 and was ready to pay £5 reward for the return of an Iron Grey Horse BRANDED JM ... .

A possible sighting of John WARD in 1854  http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article62047813

Five Pounds Reward,
LOST from Fredericks Valley in April 1853, a iron grey horse, branded JM on near shoul-
der ; any person delivering the same to Mr. Carr, Inkeeper, Frederick's Valley shall receive
a reward of £3, or £5 if delivered to John Ward, Montefiores, Wellington.

Ros

Branded JM ... could that be J for John and M for Maxwell ?  perhaps for the chap who died back in September 1853? 

I reiterate,  'widow' had been used throughout much of NSW during the penal era, and into the early civil registration period by the clergy when marrying couples, where the prospective bride already had children with her, but she was not accompanied by her husband.   We need to remember that until 1873, clergy had but two choices to write on their parish registers ... Widow or Spinster as there was no such process as Divorce in NSW until 1873.   The decision as to what to write was up to the clergy.   I have regularly posted about that broad meaning 19th century use of the word 'widow' prior to the 1861 death of Queen Victoria's husband.   We need to remember that marriages end by the death of one party but also in the colonies in the early to mid 1800s by other methods ... for example separation of couples could be forced or could be inadvertent or could be contrived or could be by consent. 

We also need to remember that the NSW practices I highlighted at a live link in reply #27 did not require any newspaper advertisements for women who were seeking to remarry despite perhaps having an absent husband who was no longer providing maintenance for the family.    Trove digitised newspapers is an absolutely magnificant resource, but it is not a definitive family history legal text book on NSW marriage practices pre NSW divorce. 

On two significant points both of which I think are worthy of reiteration: 

:) Judith REECE's two NSW marriages predate civil registration, and thus whatever documents about those marriages are obtained from NSW BDM will have scant information about her origins, her husband's origins and are NOT marriage certificates, but they are Church of England marriages.

:) John MAXWELL's death in 1853 predates civil registration, and is a Roman Catholic burial.  (ADD ... and thus NO d.c. - any burial record will not provide any family history information - no cause of death, no details of any marriage, no parents details -  it will note the cemetery  :) )

I cannot see that there is any need to request Ros to go to the Archives to obtain copy of the Probate file, just to satisfy the curiosity of RChatters who already know they are not descendants. 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 09 November 19 05:45 GMT (UK) »
 ::)  ::)  ::)  Well now I have had a further phone call ...  I forgot to mention, sorry  :-[ :

At the opening post ... Judith's fourth child was named as James Davidson (Joseph) and born Wellington NSW, in 1852.   Davidson - is that pointing to a surname for that lad's dad?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.