Author Topic: Thomas Dowling Lookup request  (Read 7730 times)

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thomas Dowling Lookup request
« on: Thursday 17 February 05 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hope someone out there can help!
I am trying to find the birth of a Thomas Dowling ( Dooling or Doolan ) born Co. Wicklow around 1832. Spent two days in the National Library in Dublin, but to no avail. Thomas joined the Irish Constabulary in 1851 and was sponsored by Sub Inspector Thompson at Baltinglass, so I believe he was resident somewhere close to Baltinglass. His daughter Mary Doolan was registered as born in Barraderry 3 Aug 1865.
Thomas served as a constable in Co. Galway until he moved to England.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Brian1
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline bullym

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Dowling Lookup request
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 May 07 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian1
My granmother was a Julia Dowling formerly Ryan born 1832 living at Gate Lodge Kilruddery Demesne owned by the Earl of Meath.
Left Plymouth arrived Brisbane 1881.
Dont whether this fits in with what you are looking for.
bullym

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 January 08 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Dear Bullym,
Thanks for your posting. Sorry about the selay in replying.
I don't think your Julie is related to any of my Dowlings, but if anything turns up on this I will let you know.
Thanks
Brian1
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline trishyg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,
My great grandmother was Eliza Dowling born c1850, believedly in Carlow. Her father's name was Thomas Dowling but on some records the name appears as Dooling or Doolan. She married Joseph Quinn of Castledermot, but there is believed to have been a Baltinglass connection with them. You can see from the map how close Baltinglass, Carlow and Davidstown are. Sorry for being so vague but I've been trying to find out about the Dowlings for some time now to no avail. Trish.
Quinn, Kildare and Birkenhead.
Dowling, Tullow Carlow.
Roche/Roach/Roache, Wicklow.
Byrne/Byrnes/Byrns, Wicklow and Birkenhead.
Roche/Byrne marriages.
Bentley, Horsforth W. Yorks, Lancs and South Africa.

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 May 08 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,
Not surprised about the different forms of Dowling being used.
My Thomas Dowling was a policeman in 1850's and he is registered in the police as a Dooling and his daughter born in Barraderry ( near Baltinglass) 1865 was christened as a Doolan. I have visited all of these places in Ireland but to no avail and I cannot pin down Thomas's family,
Could be that your Dowlings are in the same family group as mine.
Brian