Author Topic: BANKS - CARRIGHAM/N Marriage in Victoria Australia  (Read 7474 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in Victoria Australia
« Reply #27 on: Monday 30 March 09 07:33 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 30 March 09 07:46 BST (UK) »
Looking at the census information which I gave in an earlier reply the eldest children of Terrentius and Charlotte were born about 1827 which would mean that they were possibly married about 1826, well before civil registration.

WOW - look at this

On IGI is the birth 13 Dec 1807, baptism 19 Dec 1807of Charlotte Jane Powell, father Charles Harvey Powell, mother Nancy at Masulipatam, , Tamil Nadu, India  This is an extracted entry so probably reliable, and certainly fits the info you have

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 30 March 09 08:02 BST (UK) »
There are five children born in India of Charles Harvey Powell and Nancy on IGI

Charlotte 1807
Nancy 1809
Eliza 1810
Ann 1812
John 1816

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 30 March 09 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,
That's really good Judith!
Didn't Charlotte have a long and interesting life: in so many different parts of the world too.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 30 March 09 08:58 BST (UK) »
I thought I had already checked the IGI so it was worth a second look.  My gut feeling is that the Terrentius/Charlotte marriage won't be found - we don't have enough clues as to where it might have been.  I doubt that he would have gone to India as he was busy being a solicitor - however these are only thoughts and I have no way of knowing.

Looking at one of the Google entries there is mention of Terentius Carrighan dealing with some property from Arthur Judd Carrighan (1785-1845), an Anglican minister.  I suspect Terentius may be the son of this Arthur Judd Carrighan but again - only a thought.  However the will of Arthur Judd Carighan can be immediately downloaded from the UK Archives site for GBP3.50 - about $8.50 - pay by credit card.  This may give a few more clues - but maybe not!! Type Carrighan n the search box.  Have a look also at the first reference on the UK Archives site for Arthur Judd Carrighan - in those papers is the mentin of Terentius Carrighan.  Unfortunately those actual papers are only available in Cambridge

Cheers, Judith

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Maybee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BANKS - CARRIGHAM/N Marriage in Victoria Australia
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 04:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Judith,
Yes I do have the marriage cert now, Richard Banks was a widower in 1850, then again 1856, two living children one dead.and on Charlotte widow 1837 and six living children and four dead. She was born in India.
Parents are on there as well.
 Cheers Lynne
Hi Lynne,
Richard Banks d Dunedin 1884  first wife Eliza d Auckland 1850  these are my GGGG grandparents. Richard then married twice more.Matilda and Charlotte she is buried with Richard in Dunedin.
Regards
Maybee

Offline new zealand

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Maybee,
I have tried to get Eliza death cert but BDM can't find it, so i have sent for Charlotte's death and i haven't tried for Matilda's death not sure where she died.
Cheers Lynne

Offline Maybee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,
Are you related? I got Eliza's printout last year  by going to the library and looking up the cards and getting the number  she is not on the historical site for some reason.
Regards
Maybee.

Offline new zealand

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Maybee,
What library would that be? I am researching the Dickens/Byron  side of the family.
cheers