Author Topic: William Blair in Drumlea  (Read 3476 times)

Offline kajyann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Blair in Drumlea
« on: Friday 20 March 09 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to trace back from an ancestor of my husband. His name was William Blair, born in Drumlea, Leitrim in 1863. When he was 18 he enlisted in the British army, in Dublin. He was posted to England, where he married and remained in Staffordshire. He is my husbands G -grandfather. I am new to this and am unsure where to go to trace back in the Irish records, to find his parents etc.

Can anyone give me a hint where I should investigate?

Many thanks
kaj

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: William Blair in Drumlea
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 March 09 11:15 GMT (UK) »
unfortunately William was born the year before Civil Registration started here...   so Parish record will be required to locate his birth/baptism details. As far as I know Leitrim is included in the Irish Family History Foundation system (www.irish-roots.ie - paysite) - which includes parish transcripts. You can check on the website to see coverage and years.

If his parents were Non-Catholic you may be able to find their marriage as those registrations started in 1845. I dont imagine that there were that many Blair marriages in Leitrim around that time...

edit :see  this link for more Leitrim data : http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/index.shtml

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 09 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to trace back from an ancestor of my husband. His name was William Blair, born in Drumlea, Leitrim in 1863. When he was 18 he enlisted in the British army, in Dublin. He was posted to England, where he married and remained in Staffordshire. He is my husbands G -grandfather. I am new to this and am unsure where to go to trace back in the Irish records, to find his parents etc.

Can anyone give me a hint where I should investigate?

Many thanks
kaj

Hi kaj,

Griffith's Primary Valuations of Leitrim - 1856 shows there were two Blair heads of household in Boihy townland in the Parish of Drumlease.

They were James and William.

Christopher

Offline READAJ

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 January 10 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hope this helps.
Just spoke to my mother to verify.
We have a great grandfather called William Blair. - Drumlease. Married to Eliza Beatrice - we think her surname was Ivy (Plymouth area?) with a family home in Wednesbury(Midlands). My grandmother said there was a Scottish connection - his mother? We are looking through family photos for image - given his rank and 21 years service, we think the army probably has one. There were siblings - one called James. According to his army book he was 19 when he enlisted in Dublin - 21/2/1881 ( born 1862?). Records state he was from the Burrough of Drumlease (Leitrim), He served in the 2nd. Bat. South Staffordshire Reg. He entered as a private, was educated by the army and retired a Colour Sgt. 21/2/1902. The family settled in Wednesbury. There were 4 children that we know of - at least two sons -William and James. Two daughters, Beatrice and Bertha Mary - connections in Devon, London, Midlands. If this is the correct family, others have or are in the process of completing family trees.