Author Topic: James EGAN b1827 Dublin..missing since 1865 in Australia.  (Read 4463 times)

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
Re: James EGAN b1827 Dublin..missing since 1865 in Australia.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 April 09 23:44 BST (UK) »
Rosie,

I know how hard it is to find a missing death I am still looking for a JAMES EMMS death after 1832 (last date documented alive in NSW  as we have a letter written by him). Five years on and even with professional assitance I am getting nowhere. Am just waiting for the first little crack in this wall, I had thought that finding the letter would help.

Beware of relying on occupations, my John Clarke has his occupation given as: labourer, shearer, chef, stud groom, miner, gentleman etc. on a variety of Australian documents, in the UK he was a solicitors clerk and came out as an assisted immigrant to work as a gardener!!! And yes they were all the same man. (over 800 unnamed male deaths in the Victorian Inquests, and over 80 unnamed males in the NSW indexes after1894 for a start)

The information on the documents was given either by himself or his children!!!!

A small thought as a convict he may have changed his name slightly, my Godwin changed his to GOODWIN when he settled in Victoria from Tasmania, another connected anestor changed his from Vickers to BICKERS and all descendents have maintained the amended name.

Of course there is also the dreadful possibility that he died somewhere where he was not known and registered simply as a dead male. SO many awful things could happen if he travelled the coutryside, snakebite, flood, fire, etc.

Good Luck

Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 April 09 03:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Just a thought, have you tried searching through online newspapers?  The National Library of Australia is digitising newspapers from earliest (1803) to 1950's.  Currently there are many papers already uploaded.  Also, just because a newspaper was published in a different colony within Australia, don't disregard it, for it often has "inter-colonial" reports including genie info.

I did a quick search for James Egan (without any specific time or location) and found several thousand, but perhaps if you try this link (its a free site), you may get some sightings of James or of other family members.  I have been able to follow several of my forebears movements from Vic to NSW to Qld and back to NSW from newspaper reports out of the Maitland papers (Maitland as in the town in the Hunter region of NSW).

http://ndpbeta.nla.gov.au/

Cheers,  MA
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 April 09 04:47 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Robyn and Mary Ann...the newspaper thread sounds the go...we just need to verify where this James was before his death in order to confirm one of the many death certificates we have.  Robyn, we seem to have found that James kept his name pretty much in tact, apart from the second listing on the convict files..which wouldn't have been his fault..we do think that he distanced himself from his children after their mother's death though..there seems to be a dark side to the man with a history he wasn't proud of ....on with the hunt.....with many thanks for your imput ladies.
Best wishes
Rap