Author Topic: CONDONs of Mitchelstown Co. Cork  (Read 5962 times)

Offline alfresco01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CONDONs of Mitchelstown Co. Cork
« on: Friday 20 March 09 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Redmond and Mary CONDON (nee Luddy) arrived in NZ on James nicol fleming in 1874.  The passenger list shows 5 sons - redmond, michael, john, joseph, william.  Their 6th son richard, our great grandfather was born in nz.  we will be in ireland in august and wondering what would be our best plan of attack to further our search.  at the moment i am at a loss as to what to do next.   very new to this but completely addicted - cheers, Al

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CONDONs of Mitchelstown Co. Cork
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 March 09 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

First place to check is LDS site www.familysearch.org.
Five children listed in IGI there (not all the same names your listed) which points to Mitchelstown district: John 1864, James 1866, Ellen 1868, Johanna 1870, William 1872. Civil registration of births started 1864 so there could be older children born before that date.
Index to Irish civil registration just put online at LDS Pilot site (free). With the index details (name, date, registration district, volume and page numbers) you should be able to order birth certificate(s) which would give you the name of the townland where they lived before leaving Ireland (this is one of the key bits of information needed to trace them in church records, etc.).
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347
www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

LDS site also lists some of the children in Pedigree Resource File (submitted information) but it would be worth contacting submitted (details in PRF)- he has Mary Luddy chistened 1855 Ballylanders, Co. Limerick, father Jeremiah Luddy born 1801, etc.

Just go to www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp and do parent search by putting in names of parents only- nothing else- then checking IGI & PRF.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline alfresco01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 March 09 21:58 GMT (UK) »
thanks very much aghadowey - the birth certificates are definitely what I need to follow up now.  I found the family on LDS as you suggested and was very excited but the 2 girls are giving me the 'problem'.   I can't find any reference to them coming to NZ - and apparently 'my' Mary had 6 sons alive in 1880 when she died.   I am just waiting her death cert. to confirm.   i have the death certificate of the youngest boy who was born in NZ but didn't realise i could get birth certificates for at least 3 of the boys born in ireland - cheers

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 March 09 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Would be worth going to LDS Pilot site (link given in my earlier post) and checking for possible death registrations for the 2 'missing' girls as it sounds as though they might have died before the family left Ireland. Hint: put name in search box then narrow down the choice with the links at the top NOT by refining from search box. Also, to find the deaths it might be easier to search for births (under event) and see if any birth/death refereneces look likely.

Offline alfresco01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 April 09 11:42 BST (UK) »
I have followed the advice of Aghadowey and have now located 4 children who were born and who subsequently died prior to the family moving to NZ.  I now need to request birth/death certificates to confirm parentage - is that correct?.      I also need some advice with regard to when you should decide that records you have found and names that match with names you are searching, might just be a coincidence.   
In regard to Redmond Condon and Mary Luddy - I am still trying to confirm that the Mary Luddy in our family tree might well be the Mary Luddy listed in the Burke family tree on the LDS site.  A lot of the information matches but I now have Mary's death certificate and her father's name is listed as 'John' and her place of birth is Glanworth Ireland.  Would it be conceivable that the father's name is incorrect on the death certificate or that Jeremiah was known as John?  Would it be possible to be born in Glanworth, but christened at Ballylanders?   Do you disregard a record once there is a discrepancy or do you follow til you confirm the person is not related?   Any tips gratefully accepted and p.s. why have I got an open yellow folder in the column where all other posting have a closed folder? - thanks, Al 

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 April 09 13:33 BST (UK) »

p.s. why have I got an open yellow folder in the column where all other posting have a closed folder? - thanks, Al 

That just means that you have replied on the thread

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 April 09 14:24 BST (UK) »
Irish death certificates ontain very little information- neither parents nor birthdate listed (although a parent may be listed as informant). Birth certificates will confirm names of father and mother and exact place of birth but not when parents were married or their ages (although father's occupation will be listed).

Remember that the information on Mary's death record is most likely document to contain errors because of distance from Ireland and informant perhaps confused about details.

Am now going to give you link to another extremely useful site to find details of townlands and parishes in Ireland: www.thecore.com/seanruad (be sure to change default setting from exact match to search for part of a word)
Glanworth is both a town and townland- Clanworth Parish, Fermoy Poor Law Union
Ballylanders is a townland in Ballintemple Parish, Middleton Poor Law Union

Unfortunately I'm the opposite end of Ireland from Cork so will have to let someone with local knowledge tell you where Glanworth and Ballylanders are located in relation to each other.

Offline alfresco01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 April 09 10:10 BST (UK) »
thanks again for your help - will keep following that lead then - cheers, Al