Author Topic: Irish SMITHS  (Read 3902 times)

Offline sharisul

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish SMITHS
« on: Friday 20 March 09 21:41 GMT (UK) »
 ???I'm trying to trace my Irish ancestors but I haven't much information.  My greatgrandfather, Francis Smith, came out to Australia around 1880, aged 26 on arrival.  He was possibly a member of a ship's crew and perhaps jumped ship in Sydney.  He married my greatgrandmother , Catherine Kelly, aged 28 years, in Bathurst NSW Australia in 1883.  He cites his father's name as Peter Smith and his mother as Julia McGoonan, although the McGoonan is somewhat hard to decipher so could be McGiven or something else.  He reported that he was born in Ireland in county Leitrim. Could anyone please help?  As well as trying to trace my ancestors, I'm looking forward in the next few months to visiting Ireland and would love to see his birth place.  Thanks so much.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Irish SMITHS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 March 09 11:09 GMT (UK) »
there are six Peter Smith entries included in Griffiths Valuation (1850-1860s) for Co. Leitrim - see :  http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php

Surname/ Forename/ Placename/ County/ Parish
SMITH    PETER    DERRYGOAN    LEITRIM    DRUMREILLY
SMITH    PETER    DRUMCOURA    LEITRIM    DRUMREILLY
SMITH    PETER    DRUMANY    LEITRIM    OUGHTERAGH
SMITH    PETER    CORRIGA    LEITRIM    CLOONE          
SMITH    PETER    TOOMAN    LEITRIM    CLOONE          
SMITH    PETER    TOOMAN    LEITRIM    CLOONE          

The website includes details maps showing details of these
this is a land valuation and only includes heads of households.

As Francis birth was about 1854 it is too early for Civil records which started here is 1864. Parish transcripts for county Leitrim are included in the (pay-site) of the Irish Family History Foundation at www.irish-roots.ie

I had a quick look at the index and there is one match for Baptisms of a Francis Smith (between 1850 and 1858) and this in 1856. (not certain thatthe father is Peter though..)

there are also about 4 possible marriages matches for Peter Smyth between 1844 and 1857

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline sharisul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 March 09 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shanew.  Looks like I have a bit of digging to do!

Cheers

Sharyn

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 April 09 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharyn,

Could Julia's name have been McGoohan rather than McGoonan? McGoohan and Smith households were recorded in the same parish in two Irish counties
in Griffith's Primary Valuation property survey of 1848-64. The counties were Cavan and Leitrim. Source: irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname

Christopher

Offline sharisul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher,

Julia's name could well have been McGoohan.  I'll look it up when I go to Ireland.  Thank you for that.  Anywhere in particular I should go to find out info in Ireland?  I'm new to this game and we're just planning to be in Ireland in May.

Cheers

Sharyn

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 21:05 BST (UK) »