Author Topic: What Regiment in Bath 1811?  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Anne-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
What Regiment in Bath 1811?
« on: Thursday 17 February 05 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to trace George Beeho who marched with the Connaught Rangers from Bath to Chelsea and then to Exeter.  He wasn't with the Connaught Rangers prior to December 1811 but suddenly appears on the muster in December as a school master sergeant.  Being a sergeant implies he has a service history but with who.......  No individual service records available for George at the PRO, I can only find him by searching Regimental Muster Rolls. 

Anyone know any Regiments that were in Bath in 1811?  George also has links to Keynsham in 1804 & 1805 if that  is relevant.

Any suggestions would be v v gratefully received.

Anne-Marie

Beeho Beho Beehoo Beho Beeko Becho Beecho and any other version!!Anywhere!
Also Dainton Somerset, Richardson Brighton/Portugal
Blackshield Essex/London

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: What Regiment in Bath 1811?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 February 05 09:44 GMT (UK) »
His title indicates that he was employed for a specific purpose - a job that bore the rank of Sergeant. As such there is no real reason to expecr to find him with a prior service record.
The most probable regiment to be stationed in Bath would be the Gloucestershire Regiment of Foot - I don't know offhand the number of that, perhaps the 63rd but I am guessing.
The size of the army was quite large at that time during the Napoleonic Wars so many Volunteer and Militia Regiments were on call.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anne-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 February 05 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hackstaple
I have been in contact with a Military researcher who seemed to think it implied prior service but I had thought like you his expertise may count for something.  I will try looking at the Gloucestershires too see if he is there.

School records might be useful too - I'll see what is available.

Thanks for your ideas on his service.

Anne-Marie
Beeho Beho Beehoo Beho Beeko Becho Beecho and any other version!!Anywhere!
Also Dainton Somerset, Richardson Brighton/Portugal
Blackshield Essex/London

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 February 05 12:23 GMT (UK) »
It should be understood that in order to keep discipline in the services anybody giving orders must be of a higher rank than those who are ordered.
A sergeant in the army was required to be literate and would pass a test for that - way back in time. Therefore the schoolmaster would have pupils of a rank lower than sergeant. His pupils would come not only from children in barracks but from enlisted men as well.
The rank of Sgt. would ensure he had the right to order Corporals and below.
The old army was full of men who had rank equivalent to their speciality, right up to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Sometimes those were acting ranks - non-permanent - and sometimes they did not carry extra pay - described as unpaid "appointments".
I have lost touch with whatever succeeded the Education Corps now but the minimum rank of an instructor/teacher within that corps was sergeant. There was a period about 1880 or so when one can find many Colour-Sgt teachers - a rank higher.
Of course, there are also commissioned officers who perform similar functions.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk