Author Topic: COMPLETED Help with this hand  (Read 3154 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with this hand
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 March 09 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Update

I have now found the correct one (I photographed the whole batch of ca 15!)

I am still struggling with a few letters, sepcially the extra flourishes attached, but have done initial transcription.
The one I am interested in seems to be missing the presentibus phrase.

I am doing an initial translation to aid further improvements of the transcription

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Roger in Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 March 09 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Well done, Bob, I'm pleased for you.

At least you had plenty of material to compare :)

Maybe see your transcript in due course?

Roger

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 March 09 12:42 GMT (UK) »
It is intersting to see a few English works included

spinster and pasture

I am surprised at the way is is structured - it refers to everyone mostly by first name and has often phrases like
Josue & Johe & Elizabeth & hered

I will post a partial transcript when it is more nearly complete - may take a little time

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with this hand TRANSCRIPTION
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 April 09 20:10 BST (UK) »
My humble attempt at transcription
CP 25/2/971/5Annetrin

(Disclaimer - my ability to transcribe is hindered by my negligible Latin)

1.   Hec est finalis concordia f[ac]ta in cur[ia] d[omi]no Regine apud Westm[inster] A die s[anc]te trinitatis in quindecim dies Anno Regner Anne de[i ]gr[a]t[ii]a  Angl Scocie
2.   Franc & hibne Regine fides defens et a reign quinte coram Thoma Trever Johe Blancowe Robte Tracy & Robte Deyner Justic & Aliis d[omi]ne
3.   Regine fidelib[us] tunc ibi  p[re]sentib[us] Ju[ra]t Josuam Joyce & Johan Hayes quer[entem] et Georgm Hart gerdsinn Janam Hart spinster & Thomam Jessoppe &
4.   Elizabeth Uxom ons deforc de trib[us]  mesuagirs trib[us] stabilis ?eg??mo* vigints acrs t[er]re decem acrs prats vigints acres prats vigints acrs pasture
5.   decem acris bests quadraginta acris Iampner & bruere & coa pasture p?onib[us] acdirs cum p[ert]tin[enciis] in Godalmings & Wonersh unde Pl[ac]itum
6.   convenc[ion]es sum[monitum] fuit int[er] eos in eadem cur[iam], sc[ici]l[e]t q[uo]d p[re]d[ict]ei Georgms & Jana & Thomas & Elizabeth recogn[verunt] p[re]dicta[m] ten[ementa] & coram
7.   pasture cum p[ert]tin[enciis] esse nis ipius Josue ut ill que iidem Josua & Johes h[ab]eit de dono p[re]dc[t]or Georgir & Jane & Thome & Elizabeth
8.   et ill[a] remiser & quietclam de ipis Georgis & Jana & Thomas & Elizabeth & hered[ibus] sus p[re]dc[t]is Josue & Johs & hered ipius Josue
9.   imp[er]p[etuu]m et p[re]dc[t]a idem Georgms concessit p[ro] se & hered sus q[uo]d ipi warant p[re]dc[t]is Josue & Johs & hered ipuis Josuo p[re]dc[t]a
10.   tels & coram pasture cum p[ert]tin[enciis] cont p[re]d[ict]an Georgm & hered sues imp[er]pe[tua]m et ultims eadem Jana concessit p so & hered
11.   suis q[uo]d ipi warant p[re]dc[t]is Josue & Johe & hereds ipuis q[uo]d ipi warant p[re]dc[t]is Josue & Johe & hereds ipms Josue pdca
12.   hered suos imp[er]p[etua]m  Stinsip iidem Thomas & Elizabeth concesser p[ro] se &  hered ipuis Thoms q[uo]d ipi warant p[re]dic[ti]s Josue
13.   & Johs & hered ipius Joshe p[re]di[ct]a ten & coram tastine x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x  cum ptin contm pdc[t]am Thomam & Elizabeth
14.   & hered ipius Thome hered i[m]p[erpetua]m et onam iidem Thomas & Elizabeth conceller p se & hered ipius Elizabeth q[uo]d ip[si] warant pdas
15.   Josue & Johs & hered ipius Josue p[re]dc[t]a ten[ement] & onam pasture cum p[er]tin[enciis] contm p[re]dc[t]os Thomam & Elizabeth & hered ipius
16.   Elizabeth imppm  Et p[ro] hac recogn[icione] remissione quietclam Warant fine & concordia iidem Josuas & Johes deder p[re]dc[t]as
17.   Georgis Jane & Thomae & Elizabeth dicentas libr[as] sterlinger

* inserted text hardly legible

I owe a big debt to this page on the University of Nottingham website
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mss/learning/skills/deeds-depth/freehold-concord-detail.phtml

Translation follows

Bob

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with this hand TRANSLATION
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 April 09 20:14 BST (UK) »
Here goes

Disclaimer between my poor transcription skillls and my negligible Latin, I am certain to have mangled this

1.   This is the final concord made in the court of the Lady Queen at Westminster on fifteen days before the day of holy Trinity in the fifth year of Queen Anne by the grace of god of England Scotland
2.   France & Ireland Queen defender of the faith etc in the reign five before Thomas Trevor, John Blancowe, Robert Tracy, & Robert Deyner, and other Lords
3.   faithful to the Queen  then and there present swore Joshua Joyce and John Hayes complainants and George Hart (gerdsinn) Jane Hart spinster & Thomas Jessoppe
4.   Elizabeth his wife deforciants of three messuages three (stabilis) ? twenty acres land ten acres meadow twenty acres pasture
5.   ten acres (bests) forty acres furze & heath & (coa) pasture (p?onib[us]) (acdirs) with appurtenances in Godalming & Wonersh whence  a plea
6.   of contract was summoned between them in the same court, that is to say  George & Jane & Thomas & Elizabeth have acknowledged the tenements  & before
7.   pasture with apurtenances to be (nis) of him Joshua  as those which the same Joshua & John & heirs have the gift of the aforesaid George & Jane & Thomas & Elizabeth
8.   and those remised & quitclaimed of them George and Jane & Thomas & Elizabeth & heirs for the aforesaid Joshua & John & heirs of the said Joshua
9.   for ever and the aforesaid same George has granted for them & their heirs that he will warrant  the aforesaid Joshua & John & heirs of  the aforesaid Joshua
10.   (tels) &  with the  pasture with the appurtenances against the afresaid George & his heirs for ever and finally Jane has granted for them & their heirs
11.   that she will warrant the aforesaid Joshua & John & their heirs that they will warrant the aforesaid Joshua and John and aforesaid heirs of Joshua
12.   and their heirs for ever. (Stinslip) the same Thomas & Elizabeth granted for them & their heirs Thomas that he will warrant to the aforesaid Joshua
13.   & John & heirs of Joshua aforesaid tenements before pasture with appurtenances against the aforesaid Thomas & Elizabeth
14.   & the heirs  of Thomas for ever & (onam) the same Thomas & Elizabeth has granted for them & heirs the said Elizabeth that they will warrant the said
15.   Joshua & John & heirs of the aforesaid Joshua tenement with the pasture with appurtenances (contm) aforesaid Thomas and Elizabeth & heirs of the said
16.   Elizabeth for ever And for this recognizance remission quitclaim warrant fine & agreement the same Joshua & John gave the aforesaid
17.   George Jane & Thomas & Elizabeth two hundred pounds sterling

Note- the brackets are the nearest I can get to what is in these places

Joshua was a baker - apparently had made some good money though
This was 1706

Bob

Offline Roger in Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 April 09 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

congratulations, you have obviously got the hang of the handwriting, and your Latin's not so bad either! Maybe your wife had an input there?

Can only guess without seeing the original, but could it be stabulis in line 4? That might refer to stables. 

Also coa might be "common" [pasture] in line 5, also maybe personibus?

I hesitate even to guess at the other words. They are very few though, and you seem to have the gist of it.

I hope it fits in with your research.

Roger

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 April 09 22:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks could not have done this without the Notts Univ website and some others

The exact reading could be of an whose heirs are involved also could be wrong.

However it's as near as I can get for now

However it has been a major slog. Also the research in trying to identify the hand was interesting.
An overlap with my wife's hobby of calligraphy.

She didn't help at all, just my determination, and online dictionaries, but mostly using online transcriptions, translations.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 April 09 06:17 BST (UK) »
HI

I have the following Feet of Fine from 1651
This is in English - maybe this is a peculiarity of the Commonwealth period

I include it in case anyone else wants to look at these so you can see the meaning expressed in English

Cp 25/2/601/1651/hil Anne saunders widow & Richard Joyce (in English)

This is the final Agreemt made in the court of the Comon Bench at Westmr in eight
dayes of the purification of the blessed Mary In the yeare of our lord one thousand six
hundred  fifty one before Oliver St John John Puliston Peter Warburton & Edward Atkyns
Justices & others then & there psent Between Anne Saunders widow plt and Richard
Joyce & Elizabeth his wife deforcts of one messuage one barne one curtilage one yarde & one
orchard wth the appurtenances in Godalminge Whereupon a plea of covenant was
summoned between them in the said court that is to say that the aforesaid Richard and
Elizabeth have acknowledged the aforesaid tenemts wth the appurtenances to be the right
of her the said Anne As those with the said Anne hath of the guift of the aforesaid
Richard and Elizabeth and those they have remised and quiteclaimed from them the said
Richard and Elizabeth & their heires to the aforesaid Anne & her heires for ever And
moreover the said Richard & Elizabeth have grannted for them & the heires of the
said Richard that they will warrant to the aforesaid Anne & her heires the aforesaid
tenemts wth the appurtenances against them the said Richard & Elizabeth & the heires of the
said Richard for ever And for this acknowledgmt remise quiteclaime warranty
fyne & agreemt the said Anne hath given to the aforesaid Richard and Elizabeth sixty
pounds  sterlinge

Offline Roger in Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 April 09 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

Is it in the same difficult hand as your first post, or did they use a more easily read hand as well as writing in English?

Just curious.

Roger