Author Topic: Whitehouse in Springthorpe  (Read 3995 times)

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
Whitehouse in Springthorpe
« on: Sunday 25 April 04 11:50 BST (UK) »
Dear all,

Looking for any information about a family called Whitehouse living in Springthorpe in the 1891 Census. John Whitehouse a farmer, and what appears to be his sons Frederick, William & Thomas in seperate households. Living with John is a servant Ruth Ford, I believe she married Frederick & came to Liverpool in the late 1890's.

There is not an entry for this marriage in the GRO indexes. I've only just found the information about the 1891 Census, before then I was begining to think Ruth Ford did not exist.
Frederick Whitehouse & Ruth Ford are my Grt Grandparents, and their names appear on all their children's birth certificates. Only no evidence of a marriage? Anyone know this family?

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re:Whitehouse in Springthorpe
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 May 04 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I couldn't find any reference to Ruth Ford in the 1881 census, but did find the following information.

The link below gives the names and householders in Springthorpe in the 1861 census.  A John Whitehouse is listed (Pond Houses, farmer), as is a William Ford (Old School Lane, ag lab).

http://www.springthorpe-village.org.uk/history/census/streets1861.html

I searched on the 1881 for William Ford in Springthorpe and found the following:

Source Information:
  Census Place Springthorpe, Lincoln, England
  Family History Library Film   1341786
  Public Records Office Reference   RG11
  Piece / Folio   3297 / 69
  Page Number   13

William Ford, head, marr, 66, born Springthorpe Lincs, ag lab
Maria Ford, wife, marr, 64, born Welton Lincs
Collina Ford, daug, unm, 16, born Springthorpe, Lincs
Joseph Wm Ford, g/son, 8, born Springthorpe, Lincs
... Wm Ford, g/son, 2, born Springthorpe
Ruth Storr, g/daug, 9, born Springthorpe
Evelina Storr, g/daug, 6, born Mattersea, Notts
Charlotte Ford, daug, unm, 18, born Springthorpe, Lincs

I wondered if Ruth Storr could have taken her grandfathers surname and be your Ruth Ford?

Regards,
Sasha.  :)

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
Re:Whitehouse in Springthorpe
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 May 04 16:17 BST (UK) »
 ;)Dear Sasha,

Many thanks for looking at that for me. I did find the Springthorpe website really interesting, shame there was not a guestbook on the site.

I noticed the Storr entry on the 1881 Census, but I have not got to the bottom of it, I'd like to think these are my Grt Grandparents but I wish I could find the marriage :'(

Thanks again Sasha ;D