Author Topic: Montraul?? completed with Thanks  (Read 7387 times)

Offline incah1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Montraul??
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone thankyou for your thoughts and searches on this it's much appreciated!

We do have him in 1911  his birth place is listed as Monheal Canada, which we've presumed to be montreal.

He kept his faith as far as we know and St Sulpice Seminary did cross our minds but there is a lot to choose from he would have been there in 1887 ish.

I think ontario is a red herring, unfortunatley my cousins away at the moment so I can't get hold of her to check details again!

Kate

Vale - Essex & Hertfordshire    Hammond- Essex
Learoyd - Huddersfield
Henderson - Belfast,Liverpool
Lilley - Yorkshire
Bell - Essex
Turpie - Middlesex

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Here are all the Eulalia in 1891...Nothing jumped out at me, but perhaps you might find a Rosa in a household as well, which still wouldn't prove anything... There are very few Charles William in Que or Ontario, but then you believe he was gone by then anyway....
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1891/001081-110.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=q7ktb4qlmlc7a908tf88fs46k6&q1=&q2=Eulalia

the spelling as Eulalie...is another story...they number in the seven hundreds!!!
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Actually when you take out all the Catholic seminaries in Longueuil, (as "Near" Montreal) there are actually very few located in Montreal...You do have a search on your hands, though, with no surname...
Did you have him anywhere in 1901?
did he first name parents on a marriage cert? I imagine he used Thompson as a surname?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Whitestar

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 June 09 12:51 BST (UK) »
 Thankyou for your replies.

This was meant to be the easy part of her grandfathers life... where he was born.......obviously not!!   ;D

Her grandfather was Charles William..... b.1872 ish in Montraul Canada, ran away from a seminary when he was about 15yrs old, and went to sea. On arrival in Liverpool U.K in abt 1902 he changed his surname to Thompson or so the family was told. He said he would reveal his true name before he died unfortunatley he had a fatal heartattack and hadn't told anybody his name!

He named his daughters Eulalia and Rosa, we think this was after his mother or sisters.

She did say she thought it was a fishing village....which probably doesn't help!

Thankyou all again and I will now go and have a look at the links!

Kate

I believe your Charles William Thompson is my grandfather; perhaps we are related.

It would be good to get in touch with you.

Joan.

Offline DDS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 16 May 10 20:54 BST (UK) »
Did you ever locate the birth registration of Charles William Thompson? It would appear he may have been an orphan or a member of a destitute family in Montreal, Canada. There is a Charles Thompson, age 3 in the Protestant Infants' Home in the 1871 Census for Montreal. In the1881 Census, there is a Charles Thompson in the Hervey Institute and Home and School of Industry. Did he have a son Norman?

I would be interested in corresponding if you have details on this family.

Thanks, DDS

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 May 10 11:18 BST (UK) »
From early days of Canadian history, Montreal was the docking port for transporting cargo around the Lachine Rapids to take it further up the St Laurence river through to Ontario.  There is a large Ontario coastline onto the Great Lakes.  These are more like inland seas than any lakes that we have in the UK.

As I understand it, in all of that region fishing was a very important industry and local source of food, even more so during the winter months when ships could not navigate the St Laurence even as far as Montreal and nothing was growing outside.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline DDS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 12 June 10 01:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. The Charles Thompson I am seeking is from the same family you are researching. I will be pleased to hear from you when you have more information.

DDS

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 June 10 05:36 BST (UK) »
argh, I can't help but search when these come up If this is the marriage there is a bit more information, or is this false info as well?

Marriage July 14 1904  Birkenhead, Cheshire, Eng
Charles William Thompson age 33 & Mary Hannah Coles
Fathers  Charles Thomas Thompson  / Joseph Coles
Indexing Batch # I02482-9   England-ODM    SF# 2104340

some children of this marriage are:
Mary Eulalia Thompson 1906
Norman William Thompson 1907
Hannah Adelia Thompson 1909
all are christened Church of England

in 1881 there is a Charles Thomson 14 (origin says English) & a William Thompson 12 (origin says Scottish) 
 both b. Que & institution is Church of England  / Ste-Antoine Ward, Montreal, Montreal, Quebec
No religious titles running the place, though...Haven't been able to find the name of the place using the matron's or Governess's names...
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e327/e008161919.jpg

There is no Rosa on BMD or in 1911

Births  Birkenhead with  mother Coles
George N Thompson 1913
Edith E Thompson  1914
Edwin F Thompson  1916
Olive R Thompson 1918

Offline DDS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 13 June 10 15:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. The census record you have mentioned is for an institution in Montreal associated with the Anglican Church. The line I am researching is from Norman William Thompson. I am hoping for more information from the family as there was some suggestion that Charles Thompson was not the family name.

The institution in Montreal was a home for orphans or children of destitute parents. The children were housed and educated. It would not have been uncommon at that time for an illegitimate child to have been placed there.

DDS