Author Topic: 1861 Census Bishop  (Read 866 times)

Offline colin12

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1861 Census Bishop
« on: Thursday 17 February 05 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi to you all, looking for any details of several families of Bishop that wre shown on the 1851 census in the Melcombe Regis district, The familes are as follows:
Charles Bishop aged 73, Robert and Sarah Bishop aged 38 and 37m George & Jane Bishop aged 41 and 37, there may be more but theses are the 'key players'

Many thanks      Colin
Bishop Dorest/ Portsmouth
Withall Droxford
Kershaw Canada/West yorkshire
Joyce Surrey/Hampshire

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census Bishop
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 February 05 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin,

looking at the Dorset OPC site www.dorset-opc.com, there seems to be a lot of Bishops in Melcombe Regis.

I entered "bishop melcombe 1861" and got several census entries -- there are a

Caleb & Jane
Thomas & Adelaide
John & Jane (two !)
and various servants, widowers (among others a 74 yr. old George ??), unmarrieds, nieces, etc

None of your "key players", but maybe some of them fit in somewhere !  Have a look and see if you recognise anybody ......

If you click on the Melcombe Regis page, there is also a lot more data there you can browse through.

Good luck,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline colin12

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 February 05 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,

What a super site, obviously a lot of hard work, thanks for the tip. I will go through and list all the Bishop's

Cheers

Colin
Bishop Dorest/ Portsmouth
Withall Droxford
Kershaw Canada/West yorkshire
Joyce Surrey/Hampshire

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 February 05 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: PM from Colin
Hi Bob,  Just looking through 1861 for Portland and found Robert Bishop Whitesmith in Fortueswell with his family, do you know if the census gives an address?

Robert and Sarah are my Great Great Grand Parents

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your PM, I answered it with a PM, but on reflection I decided it would be a good idea to repeat the info. here:

- in case it helps anybody else;
- in case others are following the "story";
- in case others can add bits;
- in case it rings a bell for someone, somewhere;
and most important:
- it keeps all related data in one place.
(see also in the CommonRoom:  Personal Messages

Hi Colin,

glad you were succesfull !

I've  just enter "fortuneswell portland" in google, and judging by the results, Fortuneswell could be a place in Dorset, aswell as (more likely) a street in Portland.

So it looks like your Bishops lived in the street Fortuneswell in Portland

Schedule No.; Location; Forename; Surname; Relationship to Head of House; Marital Status; Age; Occupation; Place born (in Dorset unless otherwise indicated); Reference:
71;     Fortuneswell;     Robert;     BISHOP;     Head;     Married;     33;     Whitesmith;     Weymouth;     RG9/1351/F9p 14

the number 71 is the schedule number, which doesn't necessarily coincide with the house number.  You will probably need to lok up the census image to find out more.

Good luck,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)