Author Topic: what happened to Mary Annie Calverley?  (Read 11345 times)

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
what happened to Mary Annie Calverley?
« on: Tuesday 24 March 09 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Mary Annie Calverley was the daughter of my GreatGrandfather Frederick Clarkson Calverley. She was born in Darlington in 1876 (AKA - Polley). My cousin's daughter (only recently met :)) and myself, have a copy of a diary of my GGrandfather's and it seems he and his daughter had a falling out and lost touch. Mary Annie's mother died when Mary was a very little child and her father never quite got over his wife's death.

Mary Annie left home in her teens and I think I have found her on the 1901 census working as a barmaid in Newcastle (Frederick Clarkson Calverley's mother had family in Newcastle).

From The Diary, it appears Mary Annie's brother - Frederick William Calverley (in the Navy - my Grandad who I never met) wrote to their Dad trying to effect a reconciliation - to no avail.

I would dearly love to know what became of Mary Annie Calverley. Did she marry - does she have decendants out there who I would so love to get in touch with, I have lots of info to share and The Diary is a sad story which may shine some light on how the family came to be seperated.

I hope Mary has a descendant out there who may recognise her in this. Mary's Father came from Mickley in West Yorkshire, to work at the North Road Engine Works in Darlington, where he met and married Annie from Aycliffe - just North of Darlington.

Thank you anyone who can help - Angela
Been researching lots - White, (O')Callaghans, Cleeve, Greenhalgh, Pollitt, Emerson, Bastard, and currently My Father's line - the Calverleys from Yorkshire.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: what happened to Mary Annie Calverley?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Despite it  appearing to be a fairly unusual name, FreeBMD has about 6 possible marriages for a Mary A(nnie) Calverley!

It will be expensive to send for all certs to see if fathers name and occupation match up for any, but I dont know how else you will know if any (or none) are her.

It does mean there are several girls around with this name, which will make being sure of finding her on censuses harder too.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizdb

Yep - it is a tough one - that is why I am pinning my hopes on a decendant - otherwise I shall just have to start checking certificates..... working geograpically out from Newcastle! I would so like to find her though - I have found out so much else...

Many thanks for your interest
Angela.
Been researching lots - White, (O')Callaghans, Cleeve, Greenhalgh, Pollitt, Emerson, Bastard, and currently My Father's line - the Calverleys from Yorkshire.

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anglela

Have you got a post on another site,  as there is a person seeking info on

Frederick W Calverley b.1872 Durham Yorkshire

just a thought :)

Pete :)

Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete.......No,  I have no other posts re Frederick William Calverley, but I do know a lot about him for a Grandad I never met. Could you point me were to look for this post please...many thanks- this could be good :) :)

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 April 09 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela

I haven't been able to find Mary Annie on the 1911 census. Have you by any chance?

Pat
Goulds of Sheffield, Thursfields of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Archers of Smisby, Ropes of Earsham/Eastwood, Hursts of Dukinfield/Stalybridge/Kingsbury, Andrew roller makers of Stalybridge/Dukinfield.

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 April 09 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,

No nothing found yet. - I think she may be married by 1911. Short while ago I found a handfull of possible marriage records, but it has been a busy time here and I have not got far with looking at these more closely.

I am off to Egypt tomorrow morning and will be back in a week - May is going to be another busy busy month but I have promised myself some serious research time - records office trips and getting all my files organised. I want to get a lot done on the tree this summer and hopefully Mary Annie will appear in my searches.

Talk soon.
Angela.

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 April 09 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela

Enjoy yourself in Egypt.

Pat
Goulds of Sheffield, Thursfields of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Archers of Smisby, Ropes of Earsham/Eastwood, Hursts of Dukinfield/Stalybridge/Kingsbury, Andrew roller makers of Stalybridge/Dukinfield.

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 April 09 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela

Just to make a note of what I have researched.

Tried 1911 census for Mary Annie Calverley-nothing jumps out. There are 69 results for Mary Calverley.

Looked at all Mary Annie's born c1876 Darlington have downloaded them but again nothing jumps out.

There are spelling errors in the transcripts so Mary Annie might still be recorded.

The diary extracts don't really give me any clues to what happened to Mary Annie.

Pat