Author Topic: what happened to Mary Annie Calverley?  (Read 11346 times)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: what happened to Mary Annie Calverley?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 May 09 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If I'm looking at the right Mary Ann CALVERLEY living in Cockerton, Durham, (Darlington Registration District) in 1881 she has a birthplace of Skinnergrove, Yorkshire and in 1891 it is Carlin Hors, Yorkshire.

I think these are supposed to be Skinnigrove and Carlin How, Yorkshire.  Both are in the Guisborough RD.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/06de/

This looks like her birth,

Mary Annie CALVERLEY    Mar Q 1876    Guisborough    9d  491

In 1901 her POB is Darlington, Durham which might be because that's where the family she is boarding with knew she was from, rather than knowing her birthplace.

I mention this to help find her in the 1911 census as her birthplace might not be what you expect ::) :)

Regards
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 22 May 09 17:59 BST (UK) »
hi Daisy

Thank you for your help. It is the right young lady. As far as I know the 1901 census return fits an entry in her father's diary.

I've tried different permatations. It might be she is wrongly transcribed. Or she could have moved out of England & Wales and isn't even included in the census. Or I have missed it.

Marriage & death entries have been transcribed on freebmd up to 1978 for Mary Calverleys & again nothing quite fits.

Goulds of Sheffield, Thursfields of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Archers of Smisby, Ropes of Earsham/Eastwood, Hursts of Dukinfield/Stalybridge/Kingsbury, Andrew roller makers of Stalybridge/Dukinfield.

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 10:41 BST (UK) »
Gosh! busy weekend - sorry not to have responded - been out of touch a few days.

HI PAT. Yes, I found the Nathaniel born in Kildwick which is why I have got to find more evidence on the Nathaniel living in Hampsthwaite - who was suppossedly born in the area of Swinton (I think there was a small Hamlet called Swinton near Pannal. The man William Calverley who was father of Nathaniel and is mentioned in records of Pannal Ash had a daughter who died young and is also referred to in burial records as 'of Swinton' .

So this is my problem - to find evidence for Nathaniel born Swinton, near Pannal. Who then appears in Hampsthwaite with a first wife Anne who died in the childbirth of their second child Elizabeth (baby survived). He later married Jane Wells mother of my ancestor.(Hampsthwaite is not too far from Pannal). I toured them all a couple of weekends back.

The above was found originally by another researcher who I cannot get in touch with to establish firmly the source. OR is it the Nathaniel of Kildwick???? Hence my confusion and need to be certain of the facts before going back much further. I am going to try to get to Leeds records office and also need to find more out about the Kildwick chap as a seperate issue to prove or disprove any connection.

Thank you BRIAN. As above - I have the Jane Wells connection and Nathaniel the younger is in Parish Records as died aged 18 and buried in Hampsthwaite, as was his brother George.

Hello DAISYPETAL, pleased to meet you.
Thank you for the info on Mary Annie. The place names get very confusing - I travelled to Darlington recently to trace the family footsteps and the areas do have different 'local' names which also seem to have changed over time.
Mary is variously referred to as born Darlington or Skinnergrove . The reference to Carlin How and Guisborough are new to me so I will keep that in mind. My last trace of her was working as a Bar Maid and lodging in Newcastle (she did have family in Newcastle on her Granmothers side - Clarkson).

I think the most likely is that she married (the search continues ) or died young. Or as you say Pat - moved a considerable distance away.

MENTIONED IN THE DIARY of Frederick Clarkson Calverley:  Mary's brother - my Grandad - wrote from overseas (in the Navy) to his father to try to bring about a reconciliation between father and daughter - sadly the father (FCC) thought this 'impertinent' how sad! He died soon after and I guess it was never resolved.

Thank you all for your help and interest. kind regards - Angela.

Been researching lots - White, (O')Callaghans, Cleeve, Greenhalgh, Pollitt, Emerson, Bastard, and currently My Father's line - the Calverleys from Yorkshire.

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela

There is William in Pannal Yorkshire has a brood of children- Susanna, Sara, Lydia 1660-1667, Martha, Phillipa.

Is this your William?

Pat
Goulds of Sheffield, Thursfields of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Archers of Smisby, Ropes of Earsham/Eastwood, Hursts of Dukinfield/Stalybridge/Kingsbury, Andrew roller makers of Stalybridge/Dukinfield.

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,

Yes - this is he. I also found the children you mention on the Pannal Parish Registers. However, the Family Tree by Smith - Calverley, which I have used for guidance, also quotes the above and in addition - the following:

My (I think) Nathaniel born c1647 baptised/born (in Swinton nr. Pannal - to be confirmed.)
Anne b.1649 buried, according to Parish register, 7/May/1654 and noted as OFF SWINDON (SWINTON?)
Rebecca baptised 1650
Clare baptised 1652
William baptised 1654
and
Thomas baptised 1658

So far the Smith-Calverley tree has been very carefully researched and he appears to have gone to considerable trouble to use good sources, which is why I want to check thoroughly and find his sources. 

The times where troublesome in this period and surviving records are few and haphazard, making this research difficult. So I am very pleased that you have found the above. What source did you find this William on? If it is different to mine I would like to add it to my sources.

I found information on William in a book - The Records of Harrogate - which contain a part of the Pannal Ash (next to Pannal) Accounts. The rest of the Pannal Ash Accounts I have to go to Leeds record office to view and where I hope to find more. William was at times Overseer of the poor and Church Warden in Pannal. The 'accounts' detail wonderful snippets of daily life through the account books of the Parish - paid this for that repair job by so and so......paid this to so and so for taking Mr ? to York etc etc etc.

I am beginning to think I will have to move to Leeds to get enough time in the records office to get to the bottom of this. BUT GOSH I AM ENJOYING THE DETECTIVE WORK :)

Bye bye for now - Angela.

Been researching lots - White, (O')Callaghans, Cleeve, Greenhalgh, Pollitt, Emerson, Bastard, and currently My Father's line - the Calverleys from Yorkshire.

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela

The baptisms are off the igi on familysearch also has the 1881 census with Frederick Clarkson listed as a labourer.

Claire was baptised Kirby Overblow, haven't checked the others.

There is a Patrick Smith's tree (the Smith- Calverley tree you mention??) on the site & it looks like no marriage was found  for William the guess is 1645 to fit in with Nathaniel guess again born 1647.

It is amazing what you can find out about ancestors.

Pat

Offline madabout

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela

I can find baptisms in Kirkby (I missed the K out before) Overblow on the igi for

Rebecca 1651, William 1654, Thomas 1658, Lydia 1660 ??

for Pannal
Susanna 1655, Sara 1657, Lydia 1660 ??-1667, Martha 1661, Philippa 1664-1664

father's name given as William.

Looks like there is a double up on Lydia?

Pat

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 11:40 BST (UK) »
 :) Hello Pat

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly with your source information. You have given me a boost!

It is easy to get bogged down with looking for one source and butting a sore head against the same immovable brick wall. I shall now cast my research net a bit further.

Visiting these locations recently; Pannal is much modernized and built up around (being only just off a major highway into Harrowgate I guess. But Kirkby Overblow and Hampsthwaite appear very much as they have been for ages past. I looked for the Churches and had a wander in the graveyards but of course for the period we are looking at - the stones are long gone or the engraving long since weathered away. It was lovely to walk in the footsteps of and gain a visual perspective of the family's meanderings.

Thank you so much for the info. Take care. Angela.

Offline william calverley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 15:11 GMT (UK) »
searching the same family would love to know what you have found out joanna calverley