Author Topic: what happened to Mary Annie Calverley?  (Read 11347 times)

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: what happened to Mary Annie Calverley?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi William Calverley, can you give a little more info..is your message from a joanna calverley or are you asking about joanna calverley. I do not have a joanna on my tree - I think - I have been busy with my hubbie's family tree for a while and the little grey cells get muddled! Still cannot locate Marie Annie Calverley. But I believe I have found more on Nathaniel. Being unable to confirm the info on Nathaniel as written on the patrick-smith  pedigree.....I cast my net wider and now feel confident that he was born in Kildwick (later moving to Hampsthwaite), I traced Nathaniel's family through the Kidwick (nr.Skipton) parish registers to a Mary Wilson marrying a William Calverley and found a reference to this couple in the Calverley village parish registers under a section on the Calverley family of Calverley. So I now think we come back from Hampsthwaite to Calverley village BUT via Kildwick (nr.Skipton) not Pannel and Rothwell. I have found another family branch, as it appears the Selina Calverley who married Thomas Farmery in Darlington had another child - Lucy Clarkson Calverley. Found purely by luck while studying long lists of names. Lucy sadly died young. ..she did marry and have a child.......the line continued.

Would like to know where you are on the tree, as always happy to talk to Calverley family members, as I missed out so much on knowing the Calverley side of my family for so long. My tree is on Ancestry: Angela's family tree 1 and Angela's family tree.  It needs a lot of up-dating though with recent discoveries as I keep most of it on a family tree maker record and a written record. Lots of hand written trees in files! Thank you for contacting me. Angela White  :D
Been researching lots - White, (O')Callaghans, Cleeve, Greenhalgh, Pollitt, Emerson, Bastard, and currently My Father's line - the Calverleys from Yorkshire.

Offline william calverley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Dear Angela, I am joanna and I am married to Michael Calverley, son of William Calverley, son of frederick Calverley, son of the diary writer. my husband has the original diaries as he is the eldest son of the eldest son etc., Sorry my original message was so short but I thought you may not be on the site anymore. I was thrilled to hear from you. My husband and his brothers and sisters were all brought up in a childrens home and two were adopted, pretty disfunctional!! I really don't know where you are on the family tree and the last thing I would want to do is open a pandoras box but I would be so interested to find out. My husbands sister veronica, who was adopted is also very interested. I like you have looked at the family tree and seen odd dates etc., and have always intended to do the research myself... well the children have left home and hopefully in between grandchildren duties I have time. I think you will have far more information for me than i have for you, I can't even find the diary writers father. I know he was in Leeds and then the family was back in Mickley minus him. Did he die or do a runner?? I know the diary writer was illegitimate. I got as far as you with Mary Ann - Newcastle. I am going to get my fiel out which has lay dormant on the bookshelf and refresh my memory. I would love to know everything you have found out are they related to William, they don't miss an opportunity to lord it over me. I guess my family were peasants!!! Can't wait to hear from you. P.s been to Mickley. Mick changed his name from Brian to Michael years ago another story. waiting in anticipation Jo

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 15:38 GMT (UK) »
For the attention of both Joanna and Angela.
Since I posted the information on Nathaniel in 2009, the calverley website www.calverleyinfo.com has updated the information on Hampsthwaite and surrounding area.
Just select 'vital records search' and enter just Calverley into surname field, you will find more of your Calverley family.
 Regards Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 09 February 12 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much I shall be having a good look on this site I got out my file last night help!!! It may have made sense to me a few years ago but it is an awful muddle, so a snowy weekend predicted, we live in North derbyshire seems a good chance to put it in order! joanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 09 February 12 15:15 GMT (UK) »
dear Angela, puzzling all night, are you Jefferies daughter? If you are then life takes some strange twist and turns. Really looking forward to hearing from you, keep checking my emails Jo or is it Aunty Joanna?

Offline A.Enting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 10 February 12 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Joanna - Hi....I know now where we both fit in :D I just so love meeting new relatives. We quite rightly have to be aware on this forum, not to quote living family members full names, so to talk more freely I am going to send you via 'personal message' my contact details (I only live in Lincolnshire ...so we are quite close). I am not clever with these computers so if you do not get my details in the next couple of days..pls tell me through this forum. RIGHT..HERE WE GO..."son of William Calverley, son of frederick Calverley, son of the diary writer"... Your William is my dads older brother! My dad died 30 years ago and was Walter Calverley, living in Sittingbourne, so your husband Michael/Brian is my 1st cousin, so you and I are 1st cousins in-law. To follow the tree up a bit, ('cause I have loads to tell you and cannot get it all on here), your William and my Dad Walter...are children of Frederick and Kate Calverley. William had a brother Walter who died in London about 23years old and a sister Mary Annie, last appears on 1891 census in Darlington and possibly ('Mary A' not 'Mary Annie') in Newcastle on the 1901 census then nothing more known. Frederick Clarkson Calverley was born out of wedlock - thus birth certificate reads -Frederick Clarkson but he took/was given, the name Calverley, as the BAPTISM record names him Calverley and his mum - Mary Ann Clarkson married William Calverley in Mickley, 4 weeks after little Frederick was born. I have the various certificates and certainly, by the various census records she at some point is no longer with William (two more children were born after Frederick...Selina and Caroline. Two other little girls were born in Hunslet and died in infancy. At least Mary Ann returns to Mickley but William dissappears from any record I can find in England. I have searched long and hard over a few years but cannot find another census or a death record for William in England, BUT, a William Calverley of the right age turns up in America - Allegenny, Pennsylvania, at the right time after dissappearing here, and dies about the right time that Mary Ann is listed as a widow - on the next census..coincidence or ?? Also remember his Auntie Elizabeth Clarkson (married to a Goodyear had earlier gone to America, as had one, possibly two of his brothers ! There is so much more to talk about...so I will send you my contact details. The family go from sittingbourne to darlington to mickley to spofforth to hampswaite, and if I am right - to kildwick, and then to Calverley Village. Hope to talk soon, cousin Angela. 

THANK YOU ALSO "CALVERLEY LAD" - BRIAN. I have some of the Hampswaite info but will check for more up-dates. Which branch of the family are you on? Thank you for your help. Angela.
Been researching lots - White, (O')Callaghans, Cleeve, Greenhalgh, Pollitt, Emerson, Bastard, and currently My Father's line - the Calverleys from Yorkshire.