Author Topic: Easy fix for a problem - trish251  (Read 1249 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Easy fix for a problem - trish251
« on: Tuesday 24 March 09 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi All  :) ,

I've just noticed a new thread on the Australia board titled "Trish251 goodbye thread – Accidentally Deleted" by Krisesjoint.

Kris, on that thread, you have very graciously apologised for accidentally deleting the original thread.

MarieC, you were the OP on the original thread, and you have now, also very graciously, said that you totally accept that Kris's deletion was accidental and it can't be helped now.

But Kris, MarieC, everybody else who posted on the now deleted thread (including me), and others - surely it can be helped?  And can very very easily be put to rights.  :D

MarieC, couldn't you start another thread saying just what you originally posted?  No doubt you remember the gist?  And couldn't all of those who posted on your original thread post again saying essentially what they said originally?

That would easily fix the accidental deletion problem.

And MarieC, hopefully, the replacement thread would not be locked - which distressed you so very very much when it happened to your original thread.  Which would mean, as you wished, that others could then add their views if they wished.

As it happens, MarieC, I copied your original post intending (though I thought that you would already have done so) to email it to trish 251 - who, I thought, would appreciate your publicly expressed views.

So here 'tis.
MarieC, your OP had the following subject line:
"A sad goodbye to an Australian researcher"
and read:
"I'd like to register here a big thank you to trish251 for all the help she gave, particularly on this Australia board.  Her knowledge of Australian sources, especially passenger lists, was extensive, and she was very generous with her help to many of us.  (That reminds me - she had an excellent thread on passenger lists here, but unless I am going mad, I think it has disappeared!   )  She personally owned a number of resources, and would sometimes look things up for people in the State Library and Archives as well, so she was able to help in all sorts of ways.  I fully understand her reasons for leaving, but Rootschat is the poorer for her no longer being a member.

MarieC
"

So Kris and MarieC and everybody else, all is anything but lost and the accidental deletion can be very very easily redeemed.

If only all of life's problems could be so easily set to rights.  ;D

Kindest regards to all,

JAP
Later edit: MarieC, today I remembered that you had added a footnote to your original post (which I quoted above).  To the effect that the shipping list resource thread by trish251 hadn't disappeared but had been moved to the Australia Resources board.
It is at:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,26946.0.html
and is by far the most popular Australian resource (over 20,000 views!).

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Easy fix for a problem
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 14:03 GMT (UK) »
The thread can be restored from the RootsChat backup.  I think that a backup is probably done daily.  It seems to happen at about 10-11 pm, Quito time.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Easy fix for a problem
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Erato,

Yes, I thought that too - but assumed that Kris must know.

Though I've certainly had posts deleted and I know that they've easily been able to be resuscitated later if the Mods so wished.

Back-up seems to happen here (Australian Central Summer Time - which, I think, is also your time Kris?) at ca 1400 hours (2pm).  Definitely time to go and have some lunch between about 1345 and 1415 CST (wee hours of the morning UMT) when RC grinds to a total halt (doesn't just slow down) here.

Regards to all,

JAP

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: Easy fix for a problem - trish251
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, JAP,

My informed opinion is that a renewed goodbye to Trish thread would almost certainly be locked or deleted if it attracted similar posts to the last one.  I'm sure you understand what I mean.

Also, I know that Trish did read the original thread before it was deleted, which met a good deal of my reasons for posting.

So I won't be taking any further action.  Of course you are free to do as you wish.

This is my last word on the subject.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Easy fix for a problem - trish251
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 11:57 GMT (UK) »

My informed opinion is that a renewed goodbye to Trish thread would almost certainly be locked or deleted if it attracted similar posts to the last one. 
This is my last word on the subject.

Interesting, what information has lead you to form this opinion?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis