Author Topic: Andrew Brandish Holte  (Read 1506 times)

Offline noddy71

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Brandish Holte
« on: Tuesday 24 March 09 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Could onogiles and ELLinSpain contact me re Andrew Brandish Holte. I work at the Warwickshire County Record Office. One of our volunteers has recently been cataloguing a collection of photographs taken in about 1900 by Frank Augustus Brandish Holte. While we can identify the local views, we wondered if you would be able to identify any of the people in some photographs that I could send to your personal email account if you gave me the details as we believe they may be members of his family.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Offline Nigel J

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Brandish Holte
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 January 24 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Brandish Holte was born to Thomas Brundish (Barber) Eliza Brundish (nee Holt) shopkeeper, who owned a lodging house in Dolday slums during the 1800s. His Birth was recorded as Andrew Brandish (1829), but this seems to be a typo. Somehow he came to become a painter of Glass and China (as recorded in the 1861 Census) and later a 'Artist Landscape' (mis-transcribed as 'Artist Laundress' in the 1871 Census). You can find records for Andrew as both Brundish and Brandish. By 1891 he had moved to Stratford on Avon, and became known as Andrew Brandish Holte (presumably a nod to his mothers maiden name).  His son was baptised Frank Augustus Brundish, but he too added the Holte later in life. His son was named Thomas Frank Holte, by which time the Brandish name seems to have been dropped. Eliza Brundish (Andrew Brandish Holte's mother) was my 3x Great Grandmother.