Author Topic: Army service record help please *COMPLETED*  (Read 4503 times)

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army service record help please *COMPLETED*
« on: Tuesday 24 March 09 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

This is one page of several I have for Thomas Delaney, just wondering if anyone is able to read it?

I have few ideas on some of the comments but won't say in case I influence people in the wrong way!

Cheers,

Rachel  :)
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Army service record help please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Oh, and it's the Promotions, casualties column I'm mainly interested in, think I've got most of the dates ok.  :)
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 :)
Don't know if you've got this bit, but:
No 95 Draft Embarked British Expeditionary Force 28.5.16

Paulene

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Think the next bit says:
Base signal depot
Leave to ?  21.11.17

0019  1. Drunk
MAL    2.  Absent for Roll Call   6.5.18
sec     3.  9.30pm 10.15pm awol (absent without leave).
           10 days  ? ?

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm so it looks like he was in the Royal Engineers training at the two signal depots in England prior to 28.5.1916.

The bit underneath the 10 days, can anyone make it out? All I can see is Ra____ to skilled _____.

As for being drunk and receiving punishment, I know that this man was still in a hospital as late as 1938 suffering from shell shock. So whatever experiences he had during the war had a massive impact on the rest of his life  :( No wonder he fancied a drink.

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachel,
Raised to skilled ? role of E.P. as permanent Linesman

I think E.P is extra pay, but the web says E P in Royal Engineers is Engineer Pamphlet - but I don't think is it here - what do you think, Rachel?

? Then he has leave to ?

Wondering if he then goes to England to hospital - GH is abbreviation for General Hospital ( could be wrong though).

Extracted from Paragraph 3  ? ?

Proceeded to ??

Thinking about what you've said about poor Thomas the hospital route sounds likely, doesn't it? There must some other records somewhere I would think, but I'm not sure where - bit of a novice at this.

Hope this helps a little - any other bits you want to look at, Rachel - just ask. Can't promise to get it right, but I am most willing to try to help.
Kind regards,
Paulene :)

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 March 09 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paulene,

Thanks for all the help! I think you're probably right - the second entry from the top says 'Granted EP' which definitely implies extra pay is correct the second time round. I think you may be right about the rest as well, although it's pretty difficult to tell!

I'm trying to find a definition of what a linesman actually did, I guess something to do with phone cables probably, but most google searches for RE linesman bring up a lot of sports references.

There are other records that go along with this one, several other pages. I got this off ancestry service records but didn't save all of them to my computer, thought I'd deal with each one step at a time. Unfortunately I've not been able to view images on ancestry for the last few weeks so haven't been able to get the rest! Which is really frustrating me knowing they're just sat there waiting.  ;D

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 March 09 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachel,

Have a look at this book on google booksearch:

History of telegraphy By K. G. Beauchamp, Institution of Electrical Engineers

Let me know if you thnk it explains it, or not - if it doesn't I'll look for something else for you.
Kind regards.

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 March 09 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Rachel,
This is about a soldier in the second World War, but it tells you a little about his work as a Linesman, with the Royal Signals:
http://www.henderson-clan.com/jocks-story