Author Topic: Army service record help please *COMPLETED*  (Read 4500 times)

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Army service record help please
« Reply #36 on: Friday 27 March 09 10:51 GMT (UK) »
So, Rachel, do you feel you've got more of a picture now as to what happened - do you think it was Thomas that ended up in the hospital?
I think you can still apply to see the hospital records, even with the 100 years ruling, as long as you can prove you are a relative.

Yes I do - and I do think it was Thomas in the hospital. I suppose he may have been admitted some time after the war finished, if he didn't actually have a physical injury! I'll have a go at the book scrimnet mentioned and see if it can get me any further.

Although I had about 8 close ancestors (gg grandads & their brothers) who served in the army in WW1 this is the only service record I've found for any of them.

Thanks again to both of your for all your help, I'm going to start a long letter explaining it all now...
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Army service record help please *COMPLETED*
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel

Aplogies if this has already been corrected, but EP is Engineer pay.

6d a day  - from the date of enlistment for all Sappers who pass the necessary trade test on enlistment, and

1s a day - on completion of the recruits course of training, but before obtaining the approved standard of proficiency. He obviously had a pre-war skill.

The one in June 1918 is "Raised to skill rate of EP of ??"

I think we need more pixels. What was his pre-war occupation?

Ken

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply.

For some reason I can't see the 1911 census at the moment for his occupation, but on his joining papers for the army it said 'GPO' which I think is Post Office? So maybe an engineer for them?

Not sure how to get more pixels but if you let me know what to do I'll give it a go!

Cheers, Rachel  :)
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 17:52 BST (UK) »
The RE at the time ran the Signals and comms for the Army...there was no Royal Corps Of Signals at this time...

From GPO to sigs...not an enormous leap... ;)
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.