Author Topic: Coat of arms help - GARSED  (Read 14037 times)

Offline grimnar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Coat of arms help - GARSED
« on: Tuesday 24 March 09 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
         Im hoping some intelligent sort out there can finally sort whether or not someone in the Garsed family ever held a coat of arms, once and for all.

Cheers

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Coat of arms help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Fairbairn's crests shows that there is a crest which was used by the Garsett or Garsed family of Norfolk.  This was a red bow with a gold arrow which had a blue point and feathers.

While this is a description of the crest rather than the shield it does prove that this particular person had a coat of arms.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grimnar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 23:01 GMT (UK) »
David thanks for the speedy reply.

This has been a bit of a challenge for me, a Robert Garsett was granted that crest, as he was an Alderman of Norwich in the early 1600.

Why would the garsed name be mentioned with this entry? As of yet there is still no connection with my Garsed's of Elland, West Yorkshire and the Garsett's of Norwich, Norfok.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Just to clear up any confusion.  The Americans call a Coat of Arms a crest and this is causing confusion to anyone trying to understand heraldry.

The crest is what sits on top of the helmet in a coat of arms.

In the 16th century there was probably no distinction between the names Garsed and Garsett and they were probably used interchangeably by the same people.

While a CoA was granted to an individual there was usually a family history associated with it or a similar CoA.

It is difficult to see the precise detail of the shield on the monument but there is no immediately obvious history revealed by it.  I can't workout what are the devices between the arms of the saltire.  However there are sufficient additions to what was probably originally just a saltire to think that its derivation goes back through a number of generations.

What evidence do you have of the grant of the arms rather than them being inherited?  The format of the shield does seem to indicate that its origin probably dates back to the 13th century. 

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline grimnar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 10:01 GMT (UK) »
David, This is what I have:

Sir Bernard Burke's General Armory

The associated arms for the name of GARSED are recorded in Sir Bernard Burke's General Armory. (Garsett). Granted at Norwich, confirmed to Robert Garsett Esquire of the body to James Ist, son of Robert Garsett, Alderman of Norwich.

GARSED. See GARSETT.

GARSETT, or GARSED, [Norwich] ar. a saltier betw.
four mullets gu.—Crest, a bow erect gu. stringed sa.
with an arrow or, headed az. feathered ar.

I must admit that I was incorrect in a Small detail, it wasn't Robert Garsett, Sheriff of Norwich, It was his son.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 10:24 GMT (UK) »
I can't add very much.  I had the feathers wrongly coloured they are silver (white).  I was hoping for something more exciting than mullets (stars) between the arms of the saltire.  The saltire on the memorial seems to have some decoration on its arms.

It might be worth trying to locate a copy of the Harleian publication of the Heralds visitation to Norfolk (and Yorkshire?) to see if these give any relevant pedigree.

David

Offline grimnar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 13:24 GMT (UK) »
David,
          Thanks for your help. Where can I find these books you mention, as I am in Australia, it could be difficult for me.

Thank you again.

Matt

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 14:10 GMT (UK) »
You might find them in a major reference library in Australia.  I know for example that the San Diego library in the USA holds some of them.

Some of the Harleian publications of the Heralds Visitations are also available online or on CD.  However I would request a look up on the relevant county boards as the county reference library or its equivalent would fairly certainly hold copies.  As they publish the pedegrees in alphabetic order they are simple to find and then probably best photocopied.

David

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 14:47 GMT (UK) »
David,
          Thanks for your help. Where can I find these books you mention, as I am in Australia, it could be difficult for me.

Thank you again.

Matt

Try Gould Genealogical Supplies or Archive Digital Books Australasia for CD versions of the books in your "local" area.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.