Author Topic: Coat of arms help - GARSED  (Read 14038 times)

Offline genealogygirlais

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Coat of arms help - GARSED
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 November 22 23:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm curious about the Garsed Coat of Arms.  I have Garsed and Garside in my husbands tree and they are from Halifax/Elland in Yorkshire.  It came up as a "Hint" on my research tree for his line but haven't seen it before.  Was noted as "awarded to the Garsed family in 1066 after the Battle of Hastings and the loss of 3 sons". 

How do I find out more information what line of Garsed this connects to.
Ireland: Andrew, Thompson
Scotland: Crerar, Carmichael, McDuffie, McFie, McLergan, Sword, Young
England: Grisdale, Garside, Booth, Robertshaw
Germany: Nawroth, Peiser, Schroder, Ullmann, Weidmann
Italy: Nicoletti, Torbole and Zuglioni

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 November 22 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Can you describe, or attach a picture of, the Arms you say were "awarded to the Garsed family in 1066 after the Battle of Hastings and the loss of 3 sons".    One thing is certain, although the Arms may exist, they were not awarded in 1066 as Coats of Arms did not exist at that time, only coming in to use in the mid/late 1100s, and then not "awarded", just adopted ("assumed") by the gentry. That said, if you can describe the Arms we may be able to establish if there is a connection to the Yorkshire Garseds.

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 November 22 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Cannot contribute to the coat of arms query but did spot this mention of Robert Garsett -

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/A_Description_of_the_Country_from_Thirty.html?id=oz-zyAEACAAJ&redir_esc=y

Put  garsett   in search box - shd return page 455.

The Parish of Mottram is a long way from Norwich?

Offline genealogygirlais

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 November 22 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Seemed odd to me too - the date.  I have never see that come up before with my husbands family Garside/Garsed.  I've seen both spellings for his family.  They are mainly from Greetland/Elland area of Halifax in Yorkshire. 

Can you describe, or attach a picture of, the Arms you say were "awarded to the Garsed family in 1066 after the Battle of Hastings and the loss of 3 sons".    One thing is certain, although the Arms may exist, they were not awarded in 1066 as Coats of Arms did not exist at that time, only coming in to use in the mid/late 1100s, and then not "awarded", just adopted ("assumed") by the gentry. That said, if you can describe the Arms we may be able to establish if there is a connection to the Yorkshire Garseds.

Maec
Ireland: Andrew, Thompson
Scotland: Crerar, Carmichael, McDuffie, McFie, McLergan, Sword, Young
England: Grisdale, Garside, Booth, Robertshaw
Germany: Nawroth, Peiser, Schroder, Ullmann, Weidmann
Italy: Nicoletti, Torbole and Zuglioni

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 November 22 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.
The Arms you post are the same as the Arms of Robert of Norwich shown in the photograph of his memorial at the beginning of this thread, which we know were granted to him in the early 1600s.
So far I've been unable to find any reference to an armigerous family Garsed or Garside in Yorkshire and, given the odd "1066" explanation, I wonder if this wasn't another example of an over-enthusiastic "family historian" finding a Coat of Arms under the name Garsed and then making up a back story to make it fit your Yorkshire family !   Unfortunately this is an all-too-common practice of
some of the less scrupulous purveyors of "Family Coats of Arms".
There do seem to be several other variations to the spelling of Garside/Garsed so we may still be able to come up with something.

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)