Author Topic: Hughes of Wexford  (Read 3069 times)

Offline Tine24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hughes of Wexford
« on: Wednesday 25 March 09 13:40 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping to find my Hughes family ancestors in Wexford. My grandfather Michael Hughes b. 23 April 1875 (according to familysearch.com, the baptism was in Killenagh & Wells, Wexford, Ireland), came to England to live and work probably sometime before the turn of the century as he was married in England in 1902. I know he had a brother James Hughes b. 1873 and a sister Sarah Hughes b. 1871 who died in 1930, and that his parents were called Peter and Bridget McCreary.  I have so far been unable to find much more about the family.

The places I remember my father mentioning were Gorey, Ballinagam and Ballygarret, but as he has unfortunately now passed away, I am unable to find out more information from him.

Any information regarding the family anyone may have, or any suggestions as to how I can find out more, would be much appreciated.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes of Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 17:15 GMT (UK) »

Offline JONESHAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 January 11 23:10 GMT (UK) »
I have hughes from Gorey Wexford in my family tree.
Are you still interested?

Offline Tine24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 09:37 GMT (UK) »
I certainly am still interested! I had come to a brick wall in my searching, so any information would be gratefully received. Thank you for contacting me. :)

Offline JONESHAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I do not have much and when I lookat it.
Are you saying Michael's father was Peter?
The only Peter Hughes I have found was from Wicklow.
I would start by working out what religion they were and see if you can find what happened to Peter and Bridget? Look at Cemeterys or contact the church at which they were Christened.

I have a Hannah Jones who last her furtune to a Wicklow Hughes
and a Anne Hughes and all her poor children in a family will dated 1840 and not been able to find a thing.

Did you find any hughes with the right names using Griffiths? remember the Irish always named the children after ther parents etc.

At the moment Wexford records are hard to find. They are supposed to be av. soon on the internet.