Author Topic: Adam NEWELL - Help Please!  (Read 6402 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Adam NEWELL - Help Please!
« on: Thursday 26 March 09 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I thought I'd found Adam Newell's baptism in West Wycombe in Feb 1735/6 on the IGI s/o Adam & Mary. There's an earlier Adam to this couple in 1731, died 1731.

Now I've had a Bucks FHS search - and the second Adam is buried in March 1736 in W Wycombe.

It can't be that usual a name but there's no sign of a third Adam, nothing else on the IGI - or on Bucks FHS search.

My Adam Newell married in Medmenham in 1756 - and their children were baptised in Great Marlow (4); Medmenham (3); and West Wycombe (1).

Can anyone help - please?!  ::)

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Adam NEWELL - Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 16:40 BST (UK) »
Does the Bucks FHS search say that Adam #2 was baptised in Feb 1736 too? The only idea I can think of is the IGI has it wrong (which it often has). But you can't always be too dependent on these - here are a few transcripts that I know to be wrong from the Bucks FHS:

28 Jan 1853 William CUTLER aged 2m of Wheeler End, died 20 Jan 1853
5 Jul 1858 Ann CUTLER aged 21 of Church Bottom

This is what it actually says (I've seen the PR's)

23 Jan 1853, William CUTLER aged 77 of Lane End, died 20 Jan 1853
5 Jul 1858, Ann CUTLER aged 49 of Lane End

Matt
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

Thanks for your post.

The IGI has a submitted entry for the 1731 Adam (baptised 21 April buried 25 April), but the entry for the Feb 1735/6 Adam is extracted - both are s/o Adam & Mary.

The Burial Name Search by Bucks FHS has 2 burials for Adam Newell s/o Adam & Mary in West Wycombe:

buried 25 April 1731 (so matches the submitted IGI)  &
buried 29 March 1736 (would mean he died about 1 month old).

I think (though not sure) surviving West Wycombe baptism PRs are probably in a bit of a state, as they seem to have been amongst the last to be transcribed.

I'm a member of Bucks Genealogical Society and even borrowed their West Wycombe PRs - extracts only. Of course, there was absolutely no sign of any of the entries I was interested in!

It's really frustrating! Adam was a reasonably unusual name so I think it would be a real coincidence if my Adam is from elsewhere. I'm thinking that Adam snr & Mary must have had a 3rd child named Adam who survived but has been 'lost' in the parish records.  ::)

Jill

HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 13:12 BST (UK) »
Was Adam Snr a bachelor when he married in 1756? If not, there is an outside chance that he married young, his first wife died and he then remarried 20 yrs later.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi supermoussi,

It took me a while to work out what you were suggesting (doh!)  :-[.

You're saying: it's possible that the Adam Newell who married Mary Shank in 1730 in W Wycombe and the Adam who married Ann Redding in nearby Medmenham in 1756 are not father and son, but one and the same person?

It's certainly a possibility - thanks for the idea.

What makes me think that they must be 2 separate people is that I've found a burial for an Adam Newell in Medmenham in 1815, age 82 - which gives him a birthdate of c.1733, exactly when I would have expected him to have been born!!

But why would Adam snr & Mary have another Adam in 1736 (buried 1736)?

Head - brickwall!!! ::)

Jill

HELP!!!

Offline terrymac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 19:06 BST (UK) »
I know its a long time, but I have some further information on Adam Newell. I have assumed that my gggggreat grand mother Mary Newell who married Robert Gardner in Little Marlow Feb 1 1781 was the daughter of Adam Newell,  born 1759. Mary Gardner was buried Apr 14 1850 in Little Marlow aged 92. I have also assumed Adam Newell was the son of Adam and Mary Shank I had no previuos knowlege of an 1736 burial for Adam.
Adam Newell and wife plus one child appear in the West Wycombe census of 1760. This is in the Eureka publication "People of West Wycombe".
Adam Newell is in the 1784 poll of Buckinghamshire voters as an property occupier in Little Marlow.
John Newell, who I assumed was Adam's son and Mary's brother, baptised children in Little Marlow in the 1780's and 90's

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi terrymac, and welcome to Rootschat.

These Newells are a bit of a pain, aren't they?

I am trying to lay claim to the William Newell s/o Adam & Ann (Redding) who was baptised in Great marlow in 1760. So this would be your Mary's brother.

My William Newell married in Hitcham, Bucks in 1785 but I'm struggling to find his baptism - it certainly wasn't in Hitcham. The Great Marlow baptism fits pretty well with his age at death and the 2 places are not far from each other.

I'm still not sure where the father, Adam Newell sprang from if the burials in W Wycombe are correct.

However, just to throw another spanner in the works (sorry!) I'm not sure how Mary & William's father Adam Newell could be on the W Wycombe census in 1760 if he had the children I've found:

1757 John in Great marlow
1759 Mary in Gt Marlow
1760 William in Gt Marlow
1761 Henry in Gt Marlow
1764 Jenny in Medmenham
1765 Ann in Medmenham
1767 George in Medmenham
1768 james in West Wycombe (died 1770)

Also, I've found a 1768 Settlement Certificate issued from Medmenham for Adam Newell, his wife Ann and 6 children who were living in West Wycombe.

Also, a Removal Order of 1781 issued in Medmenham for the removal from Little Marlow of Adam Newell, Ann his wife and their children Jenny about 18, William about 17 and Joseph about 15 (could this be an error and should be George?).

Finally, I have a burial for Adam in Medmenham on 27 Dec 1815 age 82; I haven't found one for Ann yet. If my maths are right, that would make Adam's birth year almost on the nose to be the 1736 one (if he hadn't been buried!)!!!

Altogether bamboozled!!!  ;D ::)

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline terrymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 September 10 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillruss,
On refection I think it is most probable that the Adam Newell in the West Wycombe census is Adam snr, he would have been about 53 with perhaps his youngest child still living at home.

On June 14 1749 a deed of attornment in the Dashwood Papers shows Adam Newell amongst others confirming tenancy of Jonas Cocknorton of St Mildred's London, presumably for property in West Wycombe.

Adam junior's move to West Wycombe in 1768 may well have been at the time of his fathers death and related to it.

Clearly Adam lived in Great Marlow, Medmenham, West Wycombe and in the 1780's in Little Marlow.  He may have lived near Lane End where the first three parishes all come together possibly giving him a choice of parish churches for baptism's.

In 1784 Adam's landlord in Little Marlow was Charles Wethered the brewer.

John Newell of Little Marlow married Elizabeth Nibbs on Feb 1 1783 in Great Marlow.

I have also noticed the burial in Medmenham of Adam Newell, there was also a burial of Joseph Newell of Lewknor about the same time.

All this evidence suggests that Adam was the son of Adam Snr who in turn was the son of Thomas Newell and Mary Woodbridge, baptised 1707. The Bucksfhs database information may be faulty, this is not unknown.  I think but can't remember for sure that I looked at the West Wycombe registers on one of my visits to the Aylesbury archives and did not notice a second burial entry for Adam

Have you positively seen the burial entry in the West Wycombe Pr's. I must admit this does create a puzzle.

Terrymac

Offline terrymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 September 10 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I was a little surprised, this evening to find the following marriages in Little Marlow:
1) Jan 12 1795 Adam Newell widower to Sarah Stratford Widow  Witnesses: John Newell and Comfort Stevens.

Ann must have died, it explains the burial of Sarah Newell in Medmenham.

2)Dec 9 1784 Jane Newell to John Partridge Witnesses John Phipps and Jos Rose

3) Feb 19 1787 John Newell and Mary Edmunds Witnesses: Robert Plumridge and William Harris

Terrymac