Author Topic: 1851 lookup SYMONS, tavistock or fremington, devon please  (Read 5157 times)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 lookup SYMONS, tavistock or fremington, devon please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 March 05 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Whatever is easiest for you al. I have just been looking and found him in 1871/81/91/1901 in census.

dont suppose you have a wedding cert for them with his parents on do you, love to know joannas maiden name.

Kev.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 March 05 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Kev...try these for starters....see if they are what you want.

Robert Symons Husband:    I have him as a Gamekeeper
1831 Born:
February 24, 1857 Married:
January 1912 Died:
Mary Ann Sloley Wife:
1829 Born:
John Sloley Father:
Elizabeth Edwards Mother:

CHILDREN
1 Ellen Symons  May 16, 1883 Married:
James Sinkinge

2 Mary Symons June 14, 1890 Married:
William Garland

3 John Symons

I found William Symons married 1817 to Joanne Copp (born c1796)
Williams father....William married Prudence Geen (or perhaps Green)

Watch the name Joanna it is sometimes Joanne or Joan but it always seems to have originally spelled Johan (I have this with the Symons / Sloleys in my side)

I have also found loads of bits relating to Symons back to about 1600 which I haven't had a chance to sift through....It appears from the early stuff the Symons originated in Warwickshire before they ended up in Devon (unless the Warwick reference relates to a Title....it says 'servientis ad legem of co.Warw' on one document....I haven't a clue! )

It will take ages for me to get through all of this paper....shall we exchange e-mail addresses by private message?

I may even have to send you stuff on disc.....I have just frightened myself s....less with how many individuals I have to sort and expand.

Regards Al.

ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline SandieB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 April 05 08:55 BST (UK) »
Kev - I guess you are the same Kev I have just written to via Genes Reunited with a web link to a useful site for you.

I have the following:

1849 Married at Fremington Church, Devon
John West, bachelor of full age, mason of Fremington, son of William West, a labourer.  Elizabeth Symons, spinster of full age, schoolmistress of Fremington.  Daughter of William Symons a gamekeeper.  In witness:  Mary Ann Slolely, Mary Ann Andrews.

I believe we are both descended from James West born Instow, wife Elizabeth Gabriel married Instow 17 Feb 1793.  Children of James: Samuel, William and Elizabeth.  Samuel is my ancestor and William is yours, I think.

Offline SandieB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 April 05 09:13 BST (UK) »
http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Fremington/census.1851.html

Useful to you?  Has West, Sloley, Symons.

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 April 05 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandie, yes it is me. I sent you a reply via Genes Reunited, Thank you for your info.
It is really hard with the 1851 fremington census cos like you say there are loads of common names but i cannot get the previous generations so i can link them all together, almost certain the symons in it are brothers and i bet the wests are all related.

Kev.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline simco

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 January 12 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Kev...try these for starters....see if they are what you want.

I found William Symons married 1817 to Joanne Copp (born c1796)
Williams father....William married Prudence Geen (or perhaps Green)

Watch the name Joanna it is sometimes Joanne or Joan but it always seems to have originally spelled Johan (I have this with the Symons / Sloleys in my side)

I have also found loads of bits relating to Symons back to about 1600 which I haven't had a chance to sift through....It appears from the early stuff the Symons originated in Warwickshire before they ended up in Devon (unless the Warwick reference relates to a Title....it says 'servientis ad legem of co.Warw' on one document....I haven't a clue! )

It will take ages for me to get through all of this paper....shall we exchange e-mail addresses by private message?

I may even have to send you stuff on disc.....I have just frightened myself s....less with how many individuals I have to sort and expand.

Regards Al.

William Symons who married Prudence Geen is my ancestor.  Marriage took place 1791 at Yarnscombe.  Any information on this family greatly appreciated. 
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php