Author Topic: CRUMPLED GRANNY  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
CRUMPLED GRANNY
« on: Thursday 26 March 09 22:36 GMT (UK) »
This photo of my gran was taken just before her marriage in 1915.  My grandfather kept it in his wallet from that day until he died in the 1950s.  It's probably no wonder that it is in such a poor state.  Can anyone help to restore my Gran to her former glory please?

Ninian
Roberts (Llandanwg, Llanfihangel y traethau, Ffestiniog, Merionydd);  Jones (Bethesda, Caernarfonshire; Llandyfrydog, Angelsey); Jones, Davies (Bagillt, Holywell, Flintshire);  Turner, Bardsley (Ashton, Lancashire);  Fielding (Darley Dale, Derbyshire); Brockelbank (Louth, Lincolnshire); Allen (Ridgmont, Bedfordshire)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: CRUMPLED GRANNY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 March 09 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ninian  :)
We'll give it a good try!  I think you should get some good results from this pic, but would it be possible for you to post a larger version of the picture, preferably scanned at 300dpi?  This one is showing as only 150dpi.  The more dpi we have to work with, the easier it is and the better results you will get.

Your file can be up to 500kb in size  :)

Cheers
Prue

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 March 09 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Prue

Oh dear, how do I do that?  I'm not very handy with the scanner.  I just scanned it and out it came.  How can I get it to 300dpi (whatever that means!!).

help please!!!

Ninian
Roberts (Llandanwg, Llanfihangel y traethau, Ffestiniog, Merionydd);  Jones (Bethesda, Caernarfonshire; Llandyfrydog, Angelsey); Jones, Davies (Bagillt, Holywell, Flintshire);  Turner, Bardsley (Ashton, Lancashire);  Fielding (Darley Dale, Derbyshire); Brockelbank (Louth, Lincolnshire); Allen (Ridgmont, Bedfordshire)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 March 09 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ninian,
Sorry, I should have put in a link!
Here is a great tutorial by Cazza, all about how to scan:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,198165.0.html

The second message on that link is my very basic guide to resizing large images without losing quality.

Hope you find those useful - give us a yell if you get stuck!

Cheers  :)
Prue

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 March 09 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.  The tutorial is very good I shall keep it handy.

Even though I haven't fully digested the tutorial I've had another go at scanning the photo.  Dunno how many dpis I've got now but the size seems to be bigger - 219kb, I think. 

Is it any better?  I can try and digest the tutorial and have another go ..... but that will have to wait til tomorrow evening.   

The photo is really small - only an inch in each direction - does that affect anything??

Cheers

Ninian

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 March 09 00:14 GMT (UK) »
That's really good actually - 600dpi!  Should give the restorers plenty to work with...thanks Ninian!

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 March 09 09:02 GMT (UK) »
here is a starter.
Its a little bit 'painterly' I am afraid, I will see if I have time tomorrow to fix that look  ::)

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 March 09 09:09 GMT (UK) »
using above pic, and a quick fix to hide the mess I made in the lower corners ;D
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 March 09 09:29 GMT (UK) »
well this is a difficult one  - little Meg -- has done wonders...

heres my 1st go..  will play again when I have time later

taken off as --- sorry --- not happy with it... so maybe try again later.

xin