Author Topic: Richard Aitken, b 12/5/1874, W.Linton, Scotland - South Africa?  (Read 5258 times)

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Aitken, b 12/5/1874, W.Linton, Scotland - South Africa?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 18:53 BST (UK) »

Hi Geowin

Thank you for your very interesting post.
Since my previous post, much info on Richard Aitken has come to light, none of which have yet had time to post.
His only daughter, the late Elizabeth, I've since realised, I knew personally as a child, never knowing, that she was his daughter, always thinking of her as a cousin of my late mother's, not as Richard's daughter, especially as throughout the time I knew her, she was under her married name.
MOE,   Norway, Swaziland, and Zululand, South Africa
JORGENSON, Hole, Ringerike, Buskurud, Norway
AITKEN,  Scotland, England, India, Island of St Helena, South Africa
LOBB,  India and London
WALSH,  India and England
SHORT,  Yorkshire, England, Island of St Helena
BATEMAN,  Island of St Helena, U.S.A.
YUILL,  U.S.A.
FIRTH,  Yorkshire, Engand
LIPTROT, various counties of England
SMITH,  various counties of England
LYNCH,  Yorkshire, England, Rhodesia and South Africa

Offline geowin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hello, thanks for getting in touch. My sister-in-law is daughter of Robert Gordon Aitken and his first wife, Margaret Carfrae. (I'm married to her half sister.) Most of what I've found out in the past week is from your postings for which I am very grateful! We have some details of grandfather, Sir Robert Aitken, Managing Director of the Imperial Bank of India after working with Bank of Scotland and Bank of Bombay. He married in 1894 so must have travelled to India a few years previous. We have very few details (other than those gleened from you) of other members of the Aitken family. Sister-in-law had little contact with her father after he divorced her mother (1937?). Has a photo of Elisabeth (Sir Robert's sister who looked after his children) and memories of Lady Aitken. Had a property in De Vere Mansions, London and drove around with her chauffer. The address in Byfleet is probably where her daughter, Marjory Grace, lived latterly. She married Charles Elliot Bleck of the 2nd Sherwood Foresters in Bombay (we have the newpaper cutting) and they had 2 daughters - Sonia and Belinda.

Offline geowin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 12:35 BST (UK) »
Another thought, so I guess you (Danchaslyn) and my sister-in-law are second cousins? Have no details of Richard, I'm afraid. Except that he was a banker and lived in South Africa. We have vague family memories of things said about "cousins in SA and America."

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 14:00 BST (UK) »

Well Geowin

You and your sister-in-law are in for a treat, as we now have so much on the entire family!  All in due course.

Thank you for all that you posted thus far, much appreciated.

One of the major mysteries that puzzles me is:  WHY did all three Aitken sons, (Robert, Richard and Thomas) leave West Linton, and their parents, (John and Grace)?  Have you any idea?
I realise of course, that the world was everyone's oyster and that amazing opportunities were to be sampled abroad, but, surely, it's still somewhat unusual for all three sons, to leave their parents?

Especially, as Thomas, the youngest, was working alongside his father, John, both as Joiners? (Alright, Thomas didn't leave his parents directly, but none the less, this was his aim).

Wonder if you can throw any light as to why the three sons left?
LOBB,  India and London
YUILL,  U.S.A.

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 14:14 BST (UK) »
Another thought, so I guess you (Danchaslyn) and my sister-in-law are second cousins? Have no details of Richard, I'm afraid. Except that he was a banker and lived in South Africa. We have vague family memories of things said about "cousins in SA and America."

Geowin, incredible how across the seas, the same families, spoke of the same things.  We were also always made aware of American cousins, and I've the two surnames of Bateman, and Yuill.  Some members of both families visited my parents, when we were children.  And Winifred Bateman, of the USA,  accompanied my mother and one of her elder sisters, in the 1980's, on a trip to the Island of St Helena, from Cape Town, to visit their families' old haunts.

My mother's, father's brothers, were Robert and Richard.  And, yes, I think that would make your sister-in-law and myself, second cousins? We are the offspring of the first cousins, who are the offsprings of two brothers.
LOBB,  India and London
YUILL,  U.S.A.

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 14:23 BST (UK) »

Geowin, am sure you have noticed in my Reply No:5 that the Elizabeth Aitken, you mention, in your Reply of to-day, eventually left Edinburgh, where she had settled after the death of her mother, Grace Aitken, and emigrated to Canada, in 1920?

She was very fondly know of in my family, as "Auntie Liz" and I'm thrilled you have a photo of her.  Do you think you might be able to upload her pic here?

From family folklore, I know she visited South Africa, at least once and my grandparents visited her in the UK.  She also went out to India a few times. Did you know she was a Seamstress?

But went to Canada, as a "Housekeeper", in middle age?  Have no details of how this came about, or anything about her life in Canada, other than her death and burial details?
LOBB,  India and London
YUILL,  U.S.A.

Offline geowin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 16:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Danchaslyn. I assume the 3 sons went away 'to better themselves' as so many did when most of the world map was coloured pink. Many of my own family went out to Canada to seek (and find) their fortunes. Sister-in-law is delighted to hear all the news. Yes, I saw the info about Elizabeth, thank you. She must have been her mother's (draper's) assistant. She never married and looked after Sir Robert's off-spring. Shame the family didn't look after her more generously later in life. Lady Caroline travelled around in her chauffered car. She died suddenly one evening in a Belgian hotel after a day out travelling.

Apart from the daughter of Robert Gordon by his first wife (my sister-in-law) there is a possible daughter (Carol) by his second wife, Irmintraude. She was an 18 year old living with friend who claimed to be pregnant by Robert. There was a hurried divorce and remarriage on the excuse that she would soon have to return to Austria otherwise.

I will certainly see if I can borrow the photo of Elizabeth and scan it to send you. Will be a week or two, though

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 17:09 BST (UK) »

Geowin, this gets better and better.

Some of the bare facts we have already and you are adding the wonderful gilt on the gingerbread, thank you!

I'm going to send you a Personal Message in Roots Chat.

So glad that your sister-in-law is thrilled with the family history, especially at her stage in life!

I couldn't agree more about Elizabeth..........although, maybe there is a mystery there to do with her departure to Canada?
LOBB,  India and London
YUILL,  U.S.A.