Author Topic: Tompkins of West Sussex  (Read 1670 times)

Offline NellietheElephant

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tompkins of West Sussex
« on: Friday 27 March 09 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've unearthed quite a bit about the Tompkins of West Sussex.  They lived around Arundel.  John senior, John junior and John Cole were all mayors of Arundel.  My great-grandfather, Charles Russell Tompkins left the farming tradition and became a mathematical  instructor on the training ship, HMS Excellent in the 1830s. He then became a clergyman eventually becoming vicar of St. Peter's, Southsea.
If anyone is related to these Tompkins or knows about them I would love to hear from you.
Another family line is the Hildyards.  My great-grandmother was Wilhelmina Hildyard who was brought up in Flintham in Nottinghamshire.  Again, if anyone has an interest in the Hildyards let me know.
Also the Irwin family of Rahenny in Dublin.
That's all I think - many thanks!!!

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Tompkins of West Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 March 09 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat.

I can't give you any info about your lot as they are unknow to me but maybe you could check out the "Your Surname Interests" link that is at the bottom of this page and see if any other RCers are chasing similar people.
Also add you own Interests there.
Good luck ;D

charlotte

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 17:41 BST (UK) »
Vol. 71 pages 11-56 of the Sussex Archaeological Collections (published 1930) has an article by GW Eustace entitled "The Tompkins Diary".  It might relate to your lot.  I've not seen it, but it could be worth trying to find a copy in a library somewhere.

Stovepipe
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 19:40 BST (UK) »
Re The Arundel Tompkins'

I have found a Rachel Booth, Catherine Haines and Tim Hannah all with 19th century Arundel Tompkins' in their family trees and all have Charles born 1833 plus Tim Hannah's tree includes a John born 1790

Please private message me for forther details

Message edited by Global Moderator

Roy G