Author Topic: 1851 lookup Elizabeth Green Birkenhead  (Read 2332 times)

Offline IOW Maiden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1851 lookup Elizabeth Green Birkenhead
« on: Saturday 28 March 09 13:20 GMT (UK) »
In all census after1851 Elizabeth gives her place of birth as 1840/1 Birkenhead Cheshire where she is listed with her husband Abraham Morris (he was born Wakefield).
I have the certificate of their first child John Walter Morris born 1858 at Wakefield mother Elizabeth was formerly Elizabeth GREEN, I can't find a marriage for Abraham Morris and Elizabeth Green on BMD.

I have so far found 12 children with Abraham and Elizabeth, 6 of them had the middle name GREEN, one child Arthur GREEN DAVIES(spelling on 1881 census) Morris was born 1878 Bradford.
I have found a marriage for an Abraham Morris to an Elizabeth Davis in 1864 Liverpool.

We know there was a mystery surrounding this Elizabeth and she may have been brought up by a Mrs Barlow.
So is there anyone who can find Elizabeth  in the 1851 census please.

IOW Maiden

All Lock/e's Isle of Wight
Hobbs, Brown, Jacobs and Payne,Isle of Wight
Haynes,Sharp,Moisey,Wood,Blackburn and Earnshaw in West Yorkshire
Denham and Claughton Leeds
Hanmer in Ruabon and Llansilin Wales,St Martins Shropshire,Durham,South and West Yorkshire.
Cox and Holmes Birmingham

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 lookup Elizabeth Green Birkenhead
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 March 09 14:20 GMT (UK) »
In 1841 Birkenhead, theres an Elisabeth Green in the Household of a Robert & Elisabeth Barlow ..... but shown born 1831 - and its an age in years not months, sadly ..... any Barlow marriage looks to precede Civil Regn too !

In 1851, no exact matches on age or PoB of Birkenhead - and cant see the 1831 lass around in that name  :(

The Barlows do have a 9 year old Eli* 'Barlow' with them (seems to be a 'good' FreeBMD for her in Wirral tho) , and post-1841 children too ...
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 March 09 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Possible for your lady ?

Births Sep 1840   

Green  Elizabeth     Wirral  v19 293   
Green  Elizabeth     Wirral  19 p298

Offline IOW Maiden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 March 09 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou LKL.
I will have to look into it further, I think its more than likely Elizabeth may have been born to a single mother, the story is she was taken to a Mrs Barlow by a spinster and a Gentleman, they left her there and never came back for her, there is also a possible link to Ireland, things arn't straight forward on this one, without an 1851 census I may not be able to go any further, but it is a coicidence the Green/Barlow connection,was there anyone else in the household, thankyou.
IOW Maiden
Hanmer in Ruabon and Llansilin Wales,St Martins Shropshire,Durham,South and West Yorkshire.

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 March 09 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Perhaps Elizabeth was widowed when she married Abraham? -

On the 'Lancashire BMD' there's a marriage in 1858 St John's church Liverpool for  -

James Davies and Elizabeth Green

On the 1851 census  -

Elizabeth Green age 7 born in Birkenhead but living in Liverpool in 'Barlow' Street ?? West Derby.
Parents are John and Elizabeth - but the age is not quite right so the street name is probably just a coincidence!

Regards

Neptune

Offline IOW Maiden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 March 09 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Neptune,
looks like I will have to send for the Abraham and Elizabeths marriage certificate, at least I know who Abrahams father was so it will be either him or another Abraham Morris.
Regards IOW Maiden

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 June 10 07:53 BST (UK) »

Hi there,
I am helping with some research into the MORRIS line.
My friend is the great great granddaughter of Abraham Morris and Elizabeth Green.
I haven't started researching the Green line as yet, been a bit busy tying up the other lines.
Hoping we can help each other.
Sue Greene
New Zealand

In all census after1851 Elizabeth gives her place of birth as 1840/1 Birkenhead Cheshire where she is listed with her husband Abraham Morris (he was born Wakefield).
I have the certificate of their first child John Walter Morris born 1858 at Wakefield mother Elizabeth was formerly Elizabeth GREEN, I can't find a marriage for Abraham Morris and Elizabeth Green on BMD.

I have so far found 12 children with Abraham and Elizabeth, 6 of them had the middle name GREEN, one child Arthur GREEN DAVIES(spelling on 1881 census) Morris was born 1878 Bradford.
I have found a marriage for an Abraham Morris to an Elizabeth Davis in 1864 Liverpool.

We know there was a mystery surrounding this Elizabeth and she may have been brought up by a Mrs Barlow.
So is there anyone who can find Elizabeth  in the 1851 census please.

IOW Maiden

Offline IOW Maiden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 June 10 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue.
I will have to find the paper work out on this one, it was over a year ago that I did this tree for my daughter in law and I passed the certificates onto her but I will have a look for you to see what information I have left on it, bye for now regards iow maiden

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 June 10 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Thanks for getting back to me.
I would be interested in where your daughter in law connects to Abraham.
The reason I am helping is I am the research officer for our local Kapiti branch the friend is a local well known person who asked for some help.
The Morris family is her mothers side.
Would be lovely to put them in contact with each other.
Would be grateful for any help.
Regards
Sue in a freezing North Island.