Author Topic: Joondanna / Karakatta  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Joondanna / Karakatta
« on: Saturday 28 March 09 15:35 GMT (UK) »

Is there anyone in either of thse areas that might be able to help me with some information?

Gaille
Manchester – Bate(s) / Bebbington / Coppock or Coppart / Evans / Mitchell / Prince / Smith

Cheshire Latchford – Bibby / Savage / Smith.
Cheshire Macclesfield,  Bollington & Rainow – Childs / Flint / Mc'rea
Cheshire Crewe – Bate(s) / Bebbington
Shropshire Wellington, Wobwell – Smith
Walsall Midds – Smith
Norfolk - Childs / Hanwell / Smith

Also looking for:
Mc'Rea/McCrea – Ireland to Cheshire

And
any relatives of Margaret Bibby married to Thomas Smith all over country

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joondanna / Karakatta
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 March 09 21:15 GMT (UK) »
ask away, there are a few of us in perth that might be able to help

perth :) :)
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 01:29 BST (UK) »
ask away, there are a few of us in perth that might be able to help

perth :) :)

OK........... I will start with what I know first ............

My Grandad Harold had a brother Named Wilfred Evans , born in Middleton Manchester on 22 Oct 1909
(Parents George Arthur & Mary Ann Evans)

He left for Australia alone on the "Barabool" arriving in Freemantle on 3rd October 1919 (Just before his 20th Birthday)
I checked the entire manifest for the Barabool (lol yeah page by page!) and there are no 'family' names I recognised on it.

In 1939 he Married Marjorie Player in Perth (reg 383)

on 13 Jan 1942 he Enlisted in the RAAF - in Lakeside Perth
(25th Squadron Leading aircraftman)
NOK is listed as Marjorie
He was discharged on 29th Nov 1945

Marjorie died on 8 Sep 1943 aged only 33 in East Perth,she is buried at Karrakatta Cemetery Anglican section WG167.

Wilfred then remarried to Beryl Desiree Cecelia WALKER (nee REID) in 1946 in Perth (reg 2977).
Beryl was first married to Walter Laing WALKER in 1938 in Boulder district (reg 35).

Wilfred died 17th October 1993 in Joondanna aged 83 - Cremated at Karakatta

Beryl died in Tuart Hill in 26th January 1998 aged 82. - Cremated at Karakata

What I am wondering is:

1 - Is it possible to get a hold of Obituaries for the dates and areas, I have no idea where to start looking tho

2 - In a letter 'home' to his father in 1953 Wilfred refers to:
"your grandaugher Ann" stating she is getting married later in the year - but I cant find a marriage for an Ann Evans in the area that year (its possible she didnt marry as planned of course)
He also mentions "Walter"
We also believe that there was another Child - Dad thinks he was named Ronald

From the ages in the letters Ann was born in aprox 1937, Walter in 1939 ..... this would make them children of his first Marriage - or as dad seems to think - From Beryls first marriage.

Is it possible to check the info online anywhere of the Headstone or obituaries to see if any children are mentioned? or is anyone possibly near enough to the Cemetery to see if there IS a headstone for me?

3: how on earth would I go about seeing if my dad DOES have cousins or any relatives still around - I have had no joy trying to work out how to do this - if they ARE still alive they would all be like dad in their 70's or 80's now.

4: - How would I go about trying to work out if Marjorie & Beryl were Australian - or travelled out from another country as Wilfred did?

5: in the 1920's would a single man travelling to Australia need a 'sponsor' or not?
If so how can I find out who it would have been?
My reason to this is a just seen comment in a letter to his father saying "your Neice" but no mention of any name so I am wondering if he already had famoly in Australia ehrn he left
(both parents had too many siblings to try & work out who may be 'missing' from the UK)

I am in the UK, and most of my family lived, worked & died in the area I live in now - I have NO idea where i start on overseas research apart from what others have passed on to me so I realy appreciate ANY help!

Gaille
Manchester – Bate(s) / Bebbington / Coppock or Coppart / Evans / Mitchell / Prince / Smith

Walsall Midds – Smith

Also looking for:

And

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 04:11 BST (UK) »
In 1939 he Married Marjorie Player in Perth (reg 383)
Wilfred then remarried to Beryl Desiree Cecelia WALKER (nee REID) in 1946 in Perth (reg2977)

Purchase of the marriage certificates should give you bride's place of birth and parents names.
http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/H/how_to_obtain_a_certificate_from_the_index.aspx?uid=3998-7983-9731-6856

Marjorie died on 8 Sep 1943 aged only 33 in East Perth,she is buried at Karrakatta Cemetery Anglican section WG167.
The cemetery provide a service for photographing graves.
http://www.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/photoServ.html
Purchase of this death certificate will give you the names of their children, if any.

Wilfred died 17th October 1993 in Joondanna aged 83 - Cremated at Karakatta
Beryl died in Tuart Hill in 26th January 1998 aged 82. - Cremated at Karakata

No memorial as ashes were dispersed for Wilfred and Beryl's were removed.

- In a letter 'home' to his father in 1953 Wilfred refers to:
"your grandaugher Ann" stating she is getting married later in the year - but I cant find a marriage for an Ann Evans in the area that year (its possible she didnt marry as planned of course)

Marriage registrations only extend to 1949 in Western Australia.

Perhaps someone else may have further suggestions.  I don't live in WA so can't help you with a newspaper search for death notices.

Death certificates are only issued for deaths more than 25 years ago so only Marjorie's death cert would be available.  Certs are expensive in WA - $42.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 04:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaille

The West Australian is the newspaper in Perth. I rang them for you and was put through to the library section and the lady I spoke to was very helpful. If you email them:  library[at]wanews.com.au they will search for you but will have to post the results as they may be on microfilm.

When you email them state that you live in England and give them EXACT dates and names as they are very busy and of course your snail mail address.

I would go in person and do it for you but I live in NSW country. Sorry I forgot to ask what charges may apply.

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 05:27 BST (UK) »
Not having much luck with finding births for Marjorie or Beryl in Aus.

My Grandad Harold had a brother Named Wilfred Evans , born in Middleton Manchester on 22 Oct 1909
He left for Australia alone on the "Barabool" arriving in Freemantle on 3rd October 1919 (Just before his 20th Birthday)

I think you mean Wilfred arrived in Fremantle in1929?

Passenger record- name of vessel not available.
EVANS     Wilfred      b. c1910     
1929    London     Australia     Fremantle.

There is this passenger record- perhaps Marjorie :-\
PLAYER  M      b.c1909     Female     
1928     London     Australia     Fremantle

Hopefully a WA chatter  will be able to go to the State library for you.

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 April 09 15:34 BST (UK) »
Not having much luck with finding births for Marjorie or Beryl in Aus.

I think you mean Wilfred arrived in Fremantle in1929?

Passenger record- name of vessel not available.
EVANS     Wilfred      b. c1910     
1929    London     Australia     Fremantle.

There is this passenger record- perhaps Marjorie :-\
PLAYER  M      b.c1909     Female     
1928     London     Australia     Fremantle

Hopefully a WA chatter  will be able to go to the State library for you.

Cheers
Cando

Hi Cando,
Sorry my number dyslexia struck I think!
Yes, I did mean 1929 not 1919.

I just tried to look Marjories birth up in the uk records and she doesnt appear to be there either (births for Marjorie Player in in 1900 & then jumps to 1915 - I wonder if she was married before too maybe)

Gaille

Walsall Midds – Smith

Also looking for:

And

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 April 09 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaille

The West Australian is the newspaper in Perth. I rang them for you and was put through to the library section and the lady I spoke to was very helpful. If you email them:  library[at]wanews.com.au they will search for you but will have to post the results as they may be on microfilm.

When you email them state that you live in England and give them EXACT dates and names as they are very busy and of course your snail mail address.

I would go in person and do it for you but I live in NSW country. Sorry I forgot to ask what charges may apply.

Joy

Hi Joy,

Thank you, I just told dad that you had called the paper to ask them if they could help & he was so amazed that you would even think to do it (hes slowly starting to understand that family tree research is often impossible without others pointing you in the right direction!)

I am going to put together the info I have and email them to see if they can help at all.
I will keep you posted!

Gaille

Walsall Midds – Smith

Also looking for:

And

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 08:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gaille :D
I look forward to hearing the next installment ;D ;D

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk