Author Topic: Weeks family of Wokingham  (Read 8068 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Weeks family of Wokingham
« on: Saturday 28 March 09 18:17 GMT (UK) »
My 3x Great Grandmother was a Maria Elizabeth Weeks born 1805 died 1846 age 41.  She is buried with her infant son John Henry Weeks at Baptist Church Wokingham.  I believe her parents were John Weeks born 1777 (who died Dec 1846 and is buried next to his daughter at Wokingham Baptist church).  John Weeks was married to Rebecca surname unknown born 1782 died 1836 and who also is buried at Baptist church Wokingham.  I believe also that John was a Deacon at Above bar Church, Southampton in 1811.  John's father was Henry Weeks and his wife Sofia. 
I am trying to find the wive's surnames for Henry & John Weeks, and to find more information on this family.
I have been in contact with an Estate agents & Auctioneers who took over the business just after the second world war, which was run by Henry Weeks, James Weeks & James Watts, all my relations they ran Weeks & Watts Estate agents & Auctioneers in Broad Street in Wokingham.  Could anyone help with Census reports & the possible surnames of John & Henry Weeks?
I am also hunting a photo of the said Auctioneers Weeks & Watts or maybe an advertisment.
Regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Weeks family of Wokingham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 March 09 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you seen these?

Rebecca Maria WATTS
Birth Date: 16 Sep 1832
Christening Place: Bracknell, Warfield, Berkshire
Father's Name: James WATTS
Mother's Name: Maria Elizabeth
Maternal Grandfather's Name: John WEEKS
Maternal Grandmother's Name: Rebecca

Agnes Sophia WATTS
Birth Date: 8 Mar 1836
Christening Place: Wokingham, Berkshire
Father's Name: James WATTS
Mother's Name: Maria Elizabeth
Maternal Grandfather's Name: John WEEKS
Maternal Grandmother's Name: Rebecca

Pallot's Marriage Index has (indexed at Anc... as 1809) but looking at the image I think it looks like 1803,

John WEEKS
Rebecca WINKWORTH
S and Holborn B 1803

I have also found these,

Elizabeth Mary WEEKS
Christening:  03 Jun 1804   Saint Andrew, Holborn, London
Father:  John WEEKS   
Mother:  Rebecca

Henry WEEKS
DOB: 05 Jun 1805
Christening Place: St.Clements Danes, Middlesex
Father's Name: John WEEKS
Mother's Name: Rebecca
Maternal Grandfather's Name: Thomas WINKWORTH
Maternal Grandmother's Name: Elizabeth

James WEEKS
DOB: 16 May 1809
Christening Place: Reading, Berkshire
Father's Name: John WEEKS
Mother's Name: Rebecca
Maternal Grandfather's Name: Thomas WINKWORTH
Maternal Grandmother's Name: Elizabeth

These birthplaces seem to match Henry and James in the censuses :)

Regards
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 March 09 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy thanks so much, only one thing I dont understand is
'Pallot's Marriage Index has (indexed at Anc... as 1809) but looking at the image I think it looks like 1803,

John WEEKS
Rebecca WINKWORTH
S and Holborn B 1803'

Ok this is their marriage?  What does S and Holburn B 1803 mean?

I didnt know of Elizabeth Mary, but I do have another son John but with no birth date, all I have is St Pancras and that comes from a family diary.  Do you know who Henry married all I have is Sophia?  Also do you know the parents of John Weeks born 1777?  He died in Wokingham Dec 1846 and is buried at The Baptist Church.  It seems a great many of the family died in 1846
Maria Elizabeth Weeks died 1846 with her infant son John Henry. (wife of James Watts)
John Weeks Dec 1846 (Father to Maria Elizabeth)
Rebecca Weeks died Nov 1846 (granddaughter of John & Rebecca Weeks), dont know who is her parents?
So to ask so much, but do you have access to Census?
Regards trish

Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 March 09 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

About Pallot's Marriage Index for England: 1780 - 1837

"Pallot's Index to Marriages is essential for researchers with London ancestry, as it covers all but two of the 103 parishes in the old City of London. The dates span the time from 1780 to the onset of General Registration in 1837. The more than 1.5 million marriage entries come mainly from London and Middlesex, but also include entries from 2500 parishes in 38 counties outside of London-many not available in other sources. Also included are several records from counties in Wales. With indexing begun in 1813, several of the registers transcribed in Pallot's index no longer exist, having been destroyed or lost in the time since.

The index slips were handwritten on paper, and indexing continued regularly over a period of more than 150 years. Each slip identifies the church or chapel in which the marriage was celebrated, the names of bride and of groom, whether spinster, bachelor, widow or widower and sometimes other detail along with the date of the event.

The original paper slips of the Pallot Index are owned and held at The Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies, Canterbury, England. The Institute may have access to fuller details that may have survived among the original parish records. (www.ihgs.ac.uk) The Institute is a not-for-profit educational organization and researches in the records themselves can be arranged. Please visit their website for additional information about the services they provide."

Ancestry has transcribed and indexed the marriage as 1809 but when I looked at the image (at Ancestry) the date looks more like 1803.

The image shows,

S.AND. HOLBORN    ß  1809

I think it could be St Andrews Holborn, the B is written in a different script looking at other entries I think it might be that the marriage was by Banns as the other letter I find is L which I think is marriage by licence.

This could be the birth and death registrations for the Rebecca, grandchild of John and Rebecca,

Birth
Rebecca WEEKS    Sep Q 1845    Wokingham    6  284

Death
Rebecca WEEKS    Dec Q 1846    Wokingham    6  261

I'm confused about Henry WEEKS and Sofia/Sophia ??? 
It looks like John's son Henry was married to a Sophia but from your first post you say "John's father was Henry Weeks and his wife Sofia. " so are there two pairs of Henry and Sofia/Sophias?

Unless you have any further info findng John WEEKS b.1777 baptism could be very hard, all I know from the 1841 census is that he wasn't born in Berkshire.

I do have access to the censuses and am quite willing to help you further, but it will have to be tomorrow. Unfortunately my 'genealogy time' has nearly run out :) Life keeps interfering :D

Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 March 09 16:07 BST (UK) »
I believed Henry Watts & Sophia were James Watts parents, I am since learnt differently.  So Henry must be his brother.  What do they say dont presume anything!  I've learnt!
Thanks look forward to the Census it might help in finding the parents of Henry & James.
regards Trish

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry I couldn't get back to you yesterday.

So to stop myself getting confused let's recap,

John WEEKS  born abt 1778, birthplace unknown,

in 1803 at Holborn marries

Rebecca WINKWORTH,  born abt 1782, birthplace unknown, parents Thomas WINKWORTH and Elizabeth.

Christenings found for their children,

Elizabeth Mary WEEKS 1804 Holborn
Henry 1805 WEEKS St.Clements Danes, Middlesex
James 1809 WEEKS Reading, Berkshire

I can't find a christening for Maria Elizabeth abt 1805.

1829 Maria Elizabeth WEEKS marries James WATTS in Southampton (member submitted entry on IGI).

1836 Rebecca WEEKS (nee WINKWORTH) dies.

1841  HO7/28/14  f.3  p.1  Wokingham
Market Place
//
John WEEKS    63    Shoemaker    N
Henry    "       36            "          N
James    "       32            "          Y
Sophia   "       42                       Y
/
Samuel GROVES     19    Shoemaker      N
Eliza WINKWORTH   27    Milliner           Y
//

1846 John Weeks  died.

Which child would you like me to for first?

:)
Daisy

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy
Thanks so much for info.  Please could you just clarify that the Rebecca Weeks that died in 1836 was nee Winkworth?  As I thought that the Rebecca that died was the daughter of one of the Male weeks unsure which one?

I dont mind where you start, I am truly grateful for any help!

regards Trish

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In your first post you say,

"John Weeks was married to Rebecca surname unknown born 1782 died 1836 and who also is buried at Baptist church Wokingham"

so I was going from that :D

The child Rebecca was in 1846, I think you will need to get her birth cert. to check her parentage unless someone can find a baptism for her.

Sorry, I'm having a busy few days so will have to get back to you tomorrow :)

Daisy

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 08:40 BST (UK) »
Yes I did say John Weeks who married a Rebecca surname unknown.  You were able to obtain her maiden name of Winkworth?  But would love to know who John Weeks parents were?  As I have Rebecca's.  You were able to find their marriage which was great!  Please do go from there, would love to take it back a generation or so, whatever comes easier.  I am truly grateful for you help, as I have been stuck on this for sometime and was getting tied up with the number of Rebecca's in the family tree!
My Great Grandmother was Agnes Weeks Voysey nee Quick, her mother was Rebecca Maria Watts, her mother was Maria Elizabeth Weeks, and her mother was Rebecca Weeks nee Winkworth.  I have been trying to sort the weeks and watts family out, as my 4 x Great Grandfather James Watts (was James Watts who died 4.5.1863) but there are 3 including mine, James Watts & a Frank James Watts (who hasnt appeared on my tree yet, who is buried at Baptist church), my James was part of Weeks & Watts Auctioneers and Estate agents in Wokingham. 
A relative went to the baptist church cemetery and found quite a lot of weeks and watts and so we are trying to tie them together which you have with the info you gave me, all except for a Frank James Watts who I presume must be a relative.  However, I am trying to prove/disprove a theory that we are descended form Isaac Watts the hymnwriter, as yet I have three Isaac Watts in the tree but none being the famous one.  John Weeks was a Deacon at the Above Bar Church in Southampton where Isaac Watts (Hymnwriter) preached, but have come to a stop, so trying to fill out the tree in the vain hope it may lead me to Isaac (Hymnwriter).  Isaac never married or had family so it must be from one of Isaac's family that we may or may not be descended!
regards trish