Author Topic: Place name near Linlithgow  (Read 6471 times)

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Place name near Linlithgow
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 April 09 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

Many thanks for looking that up at New Register House - checking the original registers is always best, but it's not easy to visit Edinburgh from southern England.  It's very good of you.

I'll put the location down as 'The Garage' - I can't help but think of the modern usage of the term, but maybe it was applied more generally to outbuildings?  Or maybe it was an independent residence?

Many thanks
Richard.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire

Offline Willison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 April 09 13:44 BST (UK) »
Well done mr-aitch! I have only been on this site for a couple of weeks at most and am amazed at the resourcefulness and diligence of the people on here. I wish I'd known of the site long ago. I assume, like me, you are not too far from the area in question and I also will take a look-see for anything that could be 'The Garage'. I will also see if there is any info in the evaluation rolls at the West Lothian local history library if it helps.
Willison and Pattison (in Glasgow) 1800s on, Kinnes (Perthshire 1600s-1700s & Fife 1800s), Mathieson (Glasgow, Cambuslang, Paisley)

Offline mr-aitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 April 09 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

Many thanks for looking that up at New Register House - checking the original registers is always best, but it's not easy to visit Edinburgh from southern England.  It's very good of you.

I'll put the location down as 'The Garage' - I can't help but think of the modern usage of the term, but maybe it was applied more generally to outbuildings?  Or maybe it was an independent residence?

Many thanks
Richard.

Back again, Richard, having had a look at the Valuation Rolls for 1916-1917 for Avontoun, Linlithgow.  They don't give us a

definitive answer but I think we can work out what was intended.  These are the details - Avontoun, 1916-1917:

House, gardens & offices
Proprietor: Charles Coenelius Maconochie
Occupier: proprietor

House at stables
Prop: as above
Occ: empty

West Lodge
Occ: Alexander C. Mackenzie, gardener

East Lodge
Occ: James dawson, forester

Plantations
Pro: as above
Occ: proprietor

Grass Parks - part of
Tenant: William & George Gray

Grass Parks
Occ: proprietor

1917-1918 was exactly as 1916-1917.  The changes for 1918-1919 were that the house at the stables was occupied by

Alexander C. Mackenzie, the gardener; the West Lodge was occupied by a new forester, Thomas Roby and the East Lodge

was empty.

I consulted the Local History experts - extremely knowledgeable people - at the Local History Library, and their opinion is that

"The Garage" was the "house at the stables" in the V.R. because it was the done thing in those early days of motoring just to

convert one of the stables to house the car.

I'm persuaded.

Just out of interest, I noticed that a William Aitken, farmer and coal merchant, owned property at Mains Road just up the road

from Avontoun.  By 1818-1819 he is letting the property to a married lady Mary McLeod and he has more property at

Stockbridge, Linlithgow.  The experts thought he might well be the well known Willie Aitken who later became very wealthy

owning much property in Linlithgow.

As for Christina's husband William he was one of the brothers renting Woodcockdale Farm just a short distance west of

Avontoun.  Related to Willie Aitken?

If you take a trip to:

http://maps.live.com/

and type EH49 6SQ in the location box.  This will place a marker at Kettilstoun Mains and you can zoom in keeping the

marker in the centre.  Close down the navigation panel on the left - the marker will disappear - and change to an aerial view. 

You should now see the junction of the A706 with Mill Road, Mains Road (the A706) and Kettilstoun Mains.  Zoom right in and

the remains of a road can be seen just west of the roundabout (under A706 if the labels are turned on) which is all that remains

of the carriage road at the East Lodge.  Scrolling south-west down the A706 takes us to Brookfield Metals whose scrap-yard

sits on the site of Avontoun House.  Scrolling further south-west brings us to what I believe to be what's left of the West Lodge

and Stables although only the building between the trees and the road.  The buildings behind the trees are modern.  Continuing

further along the A706 the road takes a sharp bend across the River Avon and there is situated Woodcockdale Farm.  Just out

of interest the field between Brookfield Metals and the River Avon is the site of the Battle of Linlithgow Bridge in 1526 - pity

someone has now flooded it for some reason.

Just for comparison I've attached a JPEG showing a small detail from the 1915 OS map of the West Lodge/Stables.

Hope these help.

mr-aitch

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 April 09 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Mr-Aitch

I think that goes well above and beyond the call of duty!  Many thanks for the time and effort you have put into this.  I don't know about any connection to the other William Aitken, but maybe I'll look into that.

Many thanks again.
Richard.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire

Offline mr-aitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 April 09 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Mr-Aitch

I think that goes well above and beyond the call of duty!  Many thanks for the time and effort you have put into this.  I don't know about any connection to the other William Aitken, but maybe I'll look into that.

Many thanks again.
Richard.

Happy to help out, Richard, and the experience means that a few of us are more knowledgeable.

Good hunting,

mr-aitch

Offline kirkmichael

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 13:36 BST (UK) »
I can see a 'G' now, but I was always voting for a 'P' previously !

The ScotsOrigins website has a searchable database of the placename entries in the 1881 Census for Scotland, and there's no 'Parage'.  Neither is there a 'Garage' but that's understandable !

Neither is there a ' par* ' that matches, - unfortunately a wildcard isn't allowed in the first three characters of the search term.

Wullie

Offline DiGi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 October 09 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Could the "Parage" be a short form of "Parsonage"? 

Cheers

DiGi
West Lothian: Grant, Webster, Lowrie;  Fife:  Innes, Scotland, Wardlaw;  Northumberland: Armstrong, Gillings, Blenkinsop, Latimer, Shields;  Cumbria: Pearson, Gasgarth, Gibson, Rudd;  Kent: Cross, Atkins, Saunders, Sharp;  Norfolk: Bristow, Gillings, Birchall