Author Topic: Emigration of Edmund Alfred MORFEY 1908  (Read 5850 times)

Offline IMF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration of Edmund Alfred MORFEY 1908
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando,

You are working very hard for my cause, thanks.

I will contact the SAGHS for a copy of the burial notice for Alan Dennis Morfey.

Thanks for looking up the photo of John Morfey, I do already have it , it's the only photo I have of the two brothers.

You may have cracked the Edmund Alfred saga with your find on the 1901 Census, it could well be him and his wife.  Edmund was definitely born at Rye Foreign and not Rye as per the census entry, however the wife could have supplied the information and got it wrong.

It prompted me to check the marriage certificates I have . On Freddie's marriage certificate for his marriage on  07-06-1902 the witnesses are Edmund Alfred Morfey ( which I knew ) and Louie Morfey ( who I supposed was another relative and not the wife of Edmund ). 

I rechecked the entry on the 1901 Census and the name of the wife could be Louie.

Somehow I need to find the marriage and get a certificate to be sure that things are as they appear.

Many thanks,

Ian

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

I agree with you re the name Louis/Louie...writing a tad difficult to decipher.  Of course it may be only a nickname or abbreviated from Louise/Louisa or even a 2nd given name.  I have searched using all sorts of combinations.  The surname MORFEY has probably been mistranscribed....can't find a thing.  I guess trawling the indexes is the only solution.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IMF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando,

As a result of your find of a possible match in the 1901 Cenus I decided to check the 1911 version.  Despite trying all manner of spelling combinations I had no luck.

I thought that should the 1908 E . A Morfey be mine it would have meant that perhaps Louie/Louise had died somewhere between the above dates, no trace on the various indexes.

It could mean that the 1908 Morfey might still be mine if Edmund decided to emigrate.   There's a fair bit of speculation here but I have to look at the various possibilities.

There was no trace of Louie/Louise on the list of Morfey emigrants that I have.

I'll keep plodding away.

Thanks again to you and the others for the interest shown.

Ian

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 June 15 20:28 BST (UK) »
I know its been a few years since this was posted, my great grandfather was Edmund's brother Thomas (he changed his surname to Smith sometime between 1891 and 1895)made searching for him fun. ::). Thomas was born 15th November 1874 at Foreign of Rye. His mother was Ellen Susan, maiden name Baker, she married three times to William Leadbetter, Thomas Morfey and Edward Smith Pope.

Edmund's wife Louie Barham remarried Albert William Gorham at Rye 1910. Edmund had three daughters with Louie - Pearl Louie Morfey born 1903, Queenie Violet Morfey born 1905 and Joyce Una Susan Morfey/Gorham born 1908.

Offline IMF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 June 15 09:38 BST (UK) »
Personal Message sent to sgf28 this morning.

IMF

Offline tania73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 October 16 11:25 BST (UK) »
I am Alan's daughter, can I help in some way?

Offline IMF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 October 16 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Tania,

Do you mean that you are the daughter of Alan Morfey, son of John Thomas Morfey, if so then you will undoubtedly be able to help me, maybe also regarding Edmund Alfred.

If you can confirm the above then we would have much to pass on to one another.

Regards,

Ian

Offline tania73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 October 16 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian, yes I am the daughter of Alan.

Offline IMF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 October 16 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Tania,

That's great !   So we are 2nd cousins !

I'd be grateful if you can help with regard to Edmund Alfred, brother of Fred and John, in a sense he is a bit of mystery as I have never been able to find a death for him. It's possible that he emigrated too, but I have not found anything to date to support this idea.

I am sure that I could help you with the British connections, while you could with the Australian ones.

Any reply to this will be your third and will then enable you to send/receive personal messages offline.

I have been working on the family history for ten years.

Ian